What's new

recommendation for wifi smart plug please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexwp

New Around Here
Dear all

I need to be able to power on and off some devices from the wall and I noticed many wifi smart plugs, but a lot of them are tied to alexa/amazon ... I need a wifi plug that can connect to my own wifi router and that can be accessed remotely directly (not through 3rd parties).

Are there such smart plugs? If yes, any kind souls here that can recommend some? Preferably from Amazon (or somewhere else I can get them overnight - tad urgent)

Many thanks in advance,
Alex

Dear all

I need to be able to power on and off some devices from the wall and I noticed many wifi smart plugs, but a lot of them are tied to alexa/amazon ... I need a wifi plug that can connect to my own wifi router and that can be accessed remotely directly (not through 3rd parties).

Are there such smart plugs? If yes, any kind souls here that can recommend some? Preferably from Amazon (or somewhere else I can get them overnight - tad urgent)

Many thanks in advance,
Alex

TP-link and many others connect directly to your wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, but can they be configured directly for my ssid and password? Suppose I don't have WPS buttons on my router. Can the Android that comes with it app connect directly to the wifi smart plug in order to configure it so that it connects to the router afterwards?

Thanks, but can they be configured directly for my ssid and password? Suppose I don't have WPS buttons on my router. Can the Android that comes with it app connect directly to the wifi smart plug in order to configure it so that it connects to the router afterwards?

Yes it connects directly to the router. I have mine connecting to my Access points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
47ff433790a7abc675e95f31f37997f1.png

I think what the OP wants is a WiFi controlled switch that doesn't require using an app to control the device but instead you can connect directly with the switch. The TP-Links work well but to make them work the way they want you would need to reverse engineer the switch's firmware and write a control program. Should not be that difficult as you only need to figure out the controll sequences for on and off. May have already been done but it is not the way the switches work out of the box.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!