What's new

Recommendation for wireless device with ethernet to enable WOL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seaders

New Around Here
So, my set up is that I've a Asus RT-N56U downstairs in the rented house that I live, while I've a laptop (being used mainly as an XBMC device) and XBox-360 upstairs connected to a TV. Without doing many ugly temporary stuff for a wired ethernet connection (correct me if you disagree here, though), my only option for their connectivity for them is wireless.

Now, both have wireless and I've a remote control and regular controllers for the XBox to turn it on and off remotely, but I don't have that option for the laptop. What I was *possibly* thinking of was maybe a little Arduino project that would take only a tiny amount of power and be constantly connected to the wireless and connected to the laptop with an ethernet cable to be able to fire WOL packets at it.

And this is where I wanted to ask advice from you guys. If *something* (an Arduino project, or some tiny, low power device that has wireless and ethernet for this type of purpose) like that is a good enough option, that's what I might well go with, but then I started thinking of a different option.

I was thinking whether there was some sort of wireless router / access point that would connect strongly to the 5GHz of the RT-N56U and then share that out to any other devices via ethernet. The reason I am going that way is because that would give me much better options. The laptop is quite an old Dell model that very rarely gets a great signal and the XBox too rarely gets full bars with it's connection. If I was able to get a good device that had strong aerials that I could trust to always have a good enough connection, I'd almost certainly get a better performance, while also gaining the advantages of WOL because the laptop would be connected via ethernet.

I have also, unfortunately, already tried a Powerline solution with nothing but very disappointing results in this house, so unless something was fairly wrong there, I don't think that's a viable solution for me either, in case anyone was gonna suggest it.

With all things like this, thanks to anyone who suggests anything and while I've made all effort to describe everything as best I can, if anybody wants any more information, I'll be happy to give it and I am also perfectly happy with people giving alternative suggestions to. Thanks!

I was thinking whether there was some sort of wireless router / access point that would connect strongly to the 5GHz of the RT-N56U and then share that out to any other devices via ethernet.

Yes, it's called a wireless bridge. Punch "dual band wireless bridge" into Amazon. The Trendnet model has just been reviewed well by Smallnetbuilder.

If free, you will probably get a much stronger signal using 2.4Ghz. On 5Ghz, try channels 149-165.