What's new

Recommendation on cable modem to replace new xfinity Aris unit they just gave me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgru

Occasional Visitor
I was having problems with an older cable modem, and xfinity gave me this Aris TG1682G that also has router/wifi built in.

I want to still use my ASUS for that, so I have the Aris setup in bridge mode...but things are still wonky (like Sonos) and I think it has to do with this unit.

have others seen similar problems, and if so, would you recommend a replacement cable modem as a solution and which one?

thanks

I was having problems with an older cable modem, and xfinity gave me this Aris TG1682G that also has router/wifi built in.

I want to still use my ASUS for that, so I have the Aris setup in bridge mode...but things are still wonky (like Sonos) and I think it has to do with this unit.

have others seen similar problems, and if so, would you recommend a replacement cable modem as a solution and which one?

thanks

What speed are you signed up for and do you expect to need dowload speeds greater than 250 Mbps in the next few years or do you want to have the latest and the greatest for the wow factor?

whatever their higher/est is. regularly get 100+ in download tests. Not too worried about an extra few bucks in cost. Sadly, didn't even realize until today that I've been paying $10/mo. in equipment rental from them.....

whatever their higher/est is. regularly get 100+ in download tests. Not too worried about an extra few bucks in cost. Sadly, didn't even realize until today that I've been paying $10/mo. in equipment rental from them.....
I recently purchased an Arris SB6183. I’m on Time Warner legacy (now Spectrum). It’s been rock solid, without a hiccup. It’s a 16x4 modem and it’s approved for their 300Mbps service. Saved me the $10/mo charge.

Sadly, neither the modem or the ASUS change seemed to help. Have made no other changes to my router... so has to have something to do with a recent sonos update....

Sadly, neither the modem or the ASUS change seemed to help. Have made no other changes to my router... so has to have something to do with a recent sonos update....

Check STP settings - Sonos is odd about that, as they can also set up their own point to point network - was listening on a podcast the other day...