What's new

Recommendation on router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hawk

Very Senior Member
Hi guys, I am planning to 1 gigabit symmetrical speeds from my provider. I am currently aware most consumer setup won’t do it.

So I am asking for suggestion which setup would be best in my case, please note I want to plan from worst case scenario. Example using 940 mbps down and up at same time.

So far I am thinking to purchase 10 gigabit adapter and use pfsense, I plan to use sfp from provider and plug into sfp adapter and then plug into pfsense.

Open to ideas and suggestions.

A Mikrotik RB3011 can - I believe - do that (ok, even the Hex r5 can... but not a full 1 gig up and down simultaneous, but are you going to be doing that a lot?). I also believe that the new Edgerouter 4 should also do that easily - and it has an SFP port. That said, I don't have personal experience with either unit so ymmv.

I was thinking the same thing about pfsense when I built my rack mount unit several years ago. Some where along the line of pfsense updates they created a slow down on my system. My old Cisco RV320 router became much faster on painting web pages then my Xeon based pfsense server. So check carefully and compare. Using 10 gig should be faster regardless being a faster physical port. But it might not be faster than a hardware based 10 gig router.