What's new

[Recommendation] Router for Dual-WAN for LB/FailOver

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I was looking between TL-ER5120 & Cisco RV320 to create this scenario for a friend.
Any other recommendation?

Basically is to manage failover between 2 ISP's
Each floor has it's own ISP and want the other floor ISP as backup.
1aede2e46d2fb6328d11386e031159da.jpg

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

Are they different ISPs or the same ISP with two connections (one for each business)?

Are they different ISPs or the same ISP with two connections (one for each business)?
Different ISP's, each team has agreed to have other's ISP as failover.

But they need a reliable hw for it because they do streaming, etc. (Talking about SOHO devices, not big corp. ones)
Tp-link for example I'm worried about support on firmwares and bugs.

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

Last edited:
I believe Cisco RV320/325 are end-of-life (but good products if you can find them) or RV340. Have a look also at Draytek (i.e. Vigor 2960) or Linksys LRT224... and it also depends on the budget...

This all comes down to desired budget, product pedigree and support level.

On the bottom end, you can likely accomplish what you need well enough with cheap Mikrotik RB, Ubiquiti ER or an x86 whitebox running a community distro like pfSense, but there's very little support included in that sales channel unless you buy it from a VAR/MSP or vendor-direct separately (pfSense).

A step up support-wise would be Cisco RV, Draytek, Zyxel and similar (I'd avoid sub-standard products like Linksys LRT or TP-Link TL). You'll pay a bit more but get some basic chat/phone support and hardware coverage bundled in, and most products in this class are fairly well bug-fixed (multi-WAN is not child's play). Tops in the class for usability and support would probably be Peplink.

At the top end you have true enterprise firewalls and services routers (Fortinet, Palo Alto, Cisco ISR, Juniper SRX, etc.). Top-notch hardware and battle-tested software stacks with contract-based TAC support. If the business is serious enough and/or has its own IT department, this is likely the class of kit you'll be looking at.

All have their strengths. Considering the type of product you're thinking of already, I'd lean towards a Cisco RV340 series or a Peplink Balance, or just hire the whole project out to a local MSP and have them just handle it with whatever gear they routinely use.

Last edited:
This all comes down to desired budget, product pedigree and support level.

On the bottom end, you can likely accomplish what you need well enough with cheap Mikrotik RB, Ubiquiti ER or an x86 whitebox running a community distro like pfSense, but there's very little support included in that sales channel unless you buy it from a VAR/MSP or vendor-direct separately (pfSense).

A step up support-wise would be Cisco RV, Draytek, Zyxel and similar (I'd avoid sub-standard products like Linksys LRT or TP-Link TL). You'll pay a bit more but get some basic chat/phone support and hardware coverage bundled in, and most products in this class are fairly well bug-fixed (multi-WAN is not child's play). Tops in the class for usability and support would probably be Peplink.

At the top end you have true enterprise firewalls and services routers (Fortinet, Palo Alto, Cisco ISR, Juniper SRX, etc.). Top-notch hardware and battle-tested software stacks with contract-based TAC support. If the business is serious enough and/or has its own IT department, this is likely the class of kit you'll be looking at.

All have their strengths. Considering the type of product you're thinking of already, I'd lean towards a Cisco RV340 series or a Peplink Balance, or just hire the whole project out to a local MSP and have them just handle it with whatever gear they routinely use.

Thanks!
They are managing short budget so the idea is to get something cheap but reliable enough.
I'll look mikrotik and ubiquiti, didn't thought on those brands for cheap deployment.
And show them we need more budget if need to get something better.

Any idea how fast those two WAN links are, respectively? If they're slow enough, that may make a case enough for a pair of lower-speed Peplinks, like the Balance 20, or similar.