What's new

Recommendation Sought - Parents Network / WiFi Replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rjsh

Occasional Visitor
Looking for recommendations. What would be the most economical devices to purchase that I can put ASUS Merlin firmware onto ? Thank you.

Folks don't want to spend much. Want it to work like it has been before one of their two Airport Extremes started flaking out.

Existing setup that I'd like to replicate using ASUS Merlin compatible device(s) to replace the two Airports. Prefer using the existing power line adaptors (TP Link), as they work fine and are more reliable vs creating a mesh network for this particular house and how the walls are constructed etc. (and pulling ethernet cables through the house is out of the question.) The house is 3 stories + basement. With the existing setup have full coverage everywhere including driveway, backyard and of course inside the house. What isn't listed is both Airports LAN ports are being used also by ethernet connected devices (desktop computers, Apple TV, etc. etc.) so the two ASUS Merlin devices will need to have lan ports on them (3 or 4 at least per device).

Internet (100 megabit plan up and down)
|
wan port
CABLE MODEM (Router / Firewall / DHCP Server [wifi disabled])
lan port
|
lan port
Apple AirPort Extreme #1 (set to bridge mode. Two wifi networks named WiFi2 and WiFi5)
lan port
|
lan port
power line adaptor #1
|
household electrical wiring
|
lan port
power line adaptor #2
|
lan port
Apple AirPort Extreme # 2 (set to bridge mode, Two wifi networks named WiFi2 and WiFi5)

Last edited:
RT-AC66U_B1.

RT-AC66U_B1.
Agreed. This is what I deployed at my mom's house. Uptime equal to one firmware upgrade to the next.

Runs all the critical add-ons like Diversion and Skynet without issue.

VPN so I can monitor, update and swap files.