What's new

Recommendations for a 4G USB dongle for the RT-AX88U Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi

Could someone please point me in the direction of a compatible 4G USB dongle for my AX88U Router

Thanks in advance
Hi @nudzbro

i have spent for a 4G USB dongle on ebay. Also for my ASUS RT-AX88U in dual WAN mode an it works pretty somehow. I do have issues with the VPN setting and the confection after the WAN switch. The VPN failed to connect and exposed my IP to the public which which is a problem for me. But i cannot set up the VPN properly to work successfully with the WireGuard protocol while switching between the 2 WAN connections for ex. if the main WAN connection fails then the second WAN confection (USB dongle 4G LTE) takes over. then the VPN fails which is disappointing and no option. OpenVPN would be an option to try but as long as i have the 1000 Mbit Vodafone cable internet the WireGuard protocol works for me but later into the next year if the ISP contract ends and the new IPS with mobile internet takes place i most likely switch back to good old OpenVPN protocol.

But the USB 4G LTE dongle from eBay for 15 € works just fine, no issue. Just plug&play you cannot make something wrong. Or at least i could not :cool:
But the real issue is to find a trust and money worth mobile internet provider with LTE internet for a affordable price. And to find a fitting service plan is also a further thing because Pre-Paid Highspeed Data is pretty expensive and you should not go with to less highspeed data but is a Dual-WAN really a second ISP plan worth it? You decide.

Regards​

Hi @nudzbro

i have spent for a 4G USB dongle on ebay. Also for my ASUS RT-AX88U in dual WAN mode an it works pretty somehow. I do have issues with the VPN setting and the confection after the WAN switch. The VPN failed to connect and exposed my IP to the public which which is a problem for me. But i cannot set up the VPN properly to work successfully with the WireGuard protocol while switching between the 2 WAN connections for ex. if the main WAN connection fails then the second WAN confection (USB dongle 4G LTE) takes over. then the VPN fails which is disappointing and no option. OpenVPN would be an option to try but as long as i have the 1000 Mbit Vodafone cable internet the WireGuard protocol works for me but later into the next year if the ISP contract ends and the new IPS with mobile internet takes place i most likely switch back to good old OpenVPN protocol.

But the USB 4G LTE dongle from eBay for 15 € works just fine, no issue. Just plug&play you cannot make something wrong. Or at least i could not :cool:
But the real issue is to find a trust and money worth mobile internet provider with LTE internet for a affordable price. And to find a fitting service plan is also a further thing because Pre-Paid Highspeed Data is pretty expensive and you should not go with to less highspeed data but is a Dual-WAN really a second ISP plan worth it? You decide.

Regards​

Hello, I am looking for a USB 4G Dongle for my RT-AC86U and I've found your post very interesting.

Can you tell me, please how well your dongle is doing, referring to connection speed (upload/download)

I think the usb stick you are using would be suitable for my RT-AC86U. I'm using AsusWrt Merlin v. 386_7 on it.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello, I am looking for a USB 4G Dongle for my RT-AC86U and I've found your post very interesting.

Can you tell me, please how well your dongle is doing, referring to connection speed (upload/download)

I think the usb stick you are using would be suitable for my RT-AC86U. I'm using AsusWrt Merlin v. 386_7 on it.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello @juanantonio

i am sorry to post this but i have given up the project of the use of a USB dongle as dual WAN solution because of an issue regarding the VPN (WireGuard) setup and leaking IP and high monthly fees.

I have not tested it in detail or have any further information regarding the speed but it never left the 100 Mbit behind.

regards

Hello @juanantonio

i am sorry to post this but i have given up the project of the use of a USB dongle as dual WAN solution because of an issue regarding the VPN (WireGuard) setup and leaking IP and high monthly fees.

I have not tested it in detail or have any further information regarding the speed but it never left the 100 Mbit behind.

regards
Finally, I've bought the ZTE MF833U1 adapter, which another user of this forum told me was plug and play with both of my routers.

Fortunately, I have a cheap mobile data fee, for only 2.95€ a month, and I'm going to give this USB a try at my town's house.

It only includes 5GB a month, but I can transfer from my main SIM until 60GB, which normally I don't use.

One question: In USB WAN router's config page, which you selected for the type of USB? Automatic?

Thank you very much.

Finally, I've bought the ZTE MF833U1 adapter, which another user of this forum told me was plug and play with both of my routers.

Fortunately, I have a cheap mobile data fee, for only 2.95€ a month, and I'm going to give this USB a try at my town's house.

It only includes 5GB a month, but I can transfer from my main SIM until 60GB, which normally I don't use.

One question: In USB WAN router's config page, which you selected for the type of USB? Automatic?

Thank you very much.

So... is it working? I'm interested as well.

Which internet provider will you use on it? Where are you from?
I'm from Spain. My Internet provider is Vodafone, through a cheaper brand called Lowi.

Last edited:
So... is it working? I'm interested as well.
I've tried the ZTE MF833U1 with my RT-AX86U and works. Now I'm expecting to do the same with its final destination, which is the RT-AC86U I háve on my town's house.

@juanantonio Hi,

please, conform if possible the IP leak when running a VPN and switching between the WAN (from LAN to USB).

Regards
What are you meaning with IP leak?

I am running two clients in both my two routers, OpenVPN and Wireguard, too. My VPN supplier is AirVPN.

I'm expecting to connect the dongle with my router around 14-15 January, which are the dates I'm going to my town's house.

What kind of test do you want me to do to confirm there is IP leak or not when switching from WAN to USB?

Regards.

What are you meaning with IP leak?

I am running two clients in both my two routers, OpenVPN and Wireguard, too. My VPN supplier is AirVPN.

I'm expecting to connect the dongle with my router around 14-15 January, which are the dates I'm going to my town's house.

What kind of test do you want me to do to confirm there is IP leak or not when switching from WAN to USB?

Regards.
Hi, @juanantonio

i mean, everytime if the Router switches between the WANs your public IP leaks open because of the VPN connection which does build up the VPN tunnel as well as the new Connection to the internet and there is for a short time a leaks of your public IP.

At least that was an issue with my setup but not there was a update to the 388.1 Firmware.

But if the issue becomes not clear i am sorry because of my limited English skills.

Regards

Hi, @juanantonio

i mean, everytime if the Router switches between the WANs your public IP leaks open because of the VPN connection which does build up the VPN tunnel as well as the new Connection to the internet and there is for a short time a leaks of your public IP.

At least that was an issue with my setup but not there was a update to the 388.1 Firmware.

But if the issue becomes not clear i am sorry because of my limited English skills.

Regards
I'm sorry to tell you that I won't be able to test your issue, because I'm intending to use my USB dongle in a location in which I don't have fiber or something like that, my only interface will be the USB dongle itself. I don't intend to do a failover / failback dual connection like yours.
Anyway, good luck with your IP leak issue.
Regards.

Edit: As I can test your propose in my RT-AX86U, which have fiber conection and also allows to connect my ZTE 4G USB Dongle, I have done the following thing:

- Initially, my computer is router through the router to my VPN supplier, using Merlin's VPNDirector. The router is connected to the Internet via fiber WAN and a Nokia ONT.

- I have connected the 4G USB Dongle to my router's USB port and set up Dual WAN on the router.

- I checked up my public IP on the following page: ipleak.net. It show my VPN supplier's public IP.

- I have disconnected the router's WAN cable. In 30 seconds or so, the router detects there is no connection on WAN interface and bring up the USB interface. In those 30 seconds I have no connection at all. I tried to obtain my public IP at ipleak.net, but there is no connection and the page not loads at all.

- At the very moment the USB and the router get connected, I refreshed the page at ipleak.net. Once the page is loaded, I can tell you the public IP is from my VPN provider, not from my ISP provider.

So, in conclusion, I can tell there isn't IP leak at all when switching connection from fiber to USB dongle, at least in the sense I understand IP leak. While router is switching WAN interface, there is not connection at all, so there is no IP leak. At the moment USB connects, public IP is from VPN provider, not from ISP provider.

I hope my tests could have help you.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to tell you that I won't be able to test your issue, because I'm intending to use my USB dongle in a location in which I don't have fiber or something like that, my only interface will be the USB dongle itself. I don't intend to do a failover / failback dual connection like yours.
Anyway, good luck with your IP leak issue.
Regards.

Edit: As I can test your propose in my RT-AX86U, which have fiber conection and also allows to connect my ZTE 4G USB Dongle, I have done the following thing:

- Initially, my computer is router through the router to my VPN supplier, using Merlin's VPNDirector. The router is connected to the Internet via fiber WAN and a Nokia ONT.

- I have connected the 4G USB Dongle to my router's USB port and set up Dual WAN on the router.

- I checked up my public IP on the following page: ipleak.net. It show my VPN supplier's public IP.

- I have disconnected the router's WAN cable. In 30 seconds or so, the router detects there is no connection on WAN interface and bring up the USB interface. In those 30 seconds I have no connection at all. I tried to obtain my public IP at ipleak.net, but there is no connection and the page not loads at all.

- At the very moment the USB and the router get connected, I refreshed the page at ipleak.net. Once the page is loaded, I can tell you the public IP is from my VPN provider, not from my ISP provider.

So, in conclusion, I can tell there isn't IP leak at all when switching connection from fiber to USB dongle, at least in the sense I understand IP leak. While router is switching WAN interface, there is not connection at all, so there is no IP leak. At the moment USB connects, public IP is from VPN provider, not from ISP provider.

I hope my tests could have help you.
Hi, @juanantonio

Have you ever tried to monitor and overwatch your Internet connection (IPv4 and IPv6 status and changes) via an extra connected device? I mean have you tried to have an Android device running the App/ browser extension called "IP Address & Geolocation" from aykutcevik.com?

It alarms you regarding your current IP and Geolocation and changes with an sound, vibration or screen notification. Which is kinda nice. On your Android devices like Smartphone or Tablet as well as on your Windows system as browser extension. I have no information about availability for Apple or other devices and systems but it works pretty well on my systems (Windows and Android) so far.

I think that it is in common and regardless of the current situation most important for uncountable security, privacy and personal reasons regardless of who you are, where you are or whatever vital to know and be aware of your public and traceable data like your public IP ... and the App and browser extension really works great

Give it a try you won't regret it.

"IP Address & Geolocation".

Last edited:
Hi, @juanantonio

Have you ever tried to monitor and overwatch your Internet connection (IPv4 and IPv6 status and changes) via an extra connected device? I mean have you tried to have an Android device running the App/ browser extension called "IP Address & Geolocation" from aykutcevik.com?

It alarms you regarding your current IP and Geolocation and changes with an sound, vibration or screen notification. Which is kinda nice. On your Android devices like Smartphone or Tablet as well as on your Windows system as browser extension. I have no information about availability for Apple or other devices and systems but it works pretty well on my systems (Windows and Android) so far.

I think that it is in common and regardless of the current situation most important for uncountable security, privacy and personal reasons regardless of who you are, where you are or whatever vital to know and be aware of your public and traceable data like your public IP ... and the App and browser extension really works great

All right, I will give it a try and let you know.

Hi, @juanantonio

Well, it seems that you were right. After installing "IP & Geolocation", both in my web browser and also in my mobile phone, I could see that setting Dual WAN and failover in my main router (RT-AX86U), there is a time interval in which public IP changes from VPN to ISP provider, so IP leak exists.

This don't worry me at all, because the scenary I've planned for the USB 4G dongle is not dual WAN. I'm going to connect to a router which don't have any connection except that from dongle itself.

I hope I have help you.

Regards.

Nice to know, thank you for the update!
Finally, I had the opportunity to connect the ZTE MFU833U1 4g dongle to my RT-AC86U, as primary WAN -it doesn't have any other connection-.
I have to say it works very well, with speed of 40MB/25MB (DL/UL), and the connection is very stable.
I hope this can help you.
Regards.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!