What's new

Recommendations for LTE 4G modem for backup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jtara

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to get recommendations for an LTE 4G modem to use as backup to my gigabit synchronous Webpass/Google Fiber service.

I recently had Webpass installed, and will be discontinuing cable service with Cox. I already cut my TV service a few months ago, and plan on discontinuing my 300/30 service with Cox in the next week or two.

My HOA just made a deal with Webpass, and it is now included with HOA dues. It costs the HOA only $30/month/unit. (maybe less, if they pay yearly). Normally it is $60 for individuals, and I have been paying about $110 for the Cox 300/30 service!

Because I write software for a living and work from home, reliable and uninterrupted Internet service is important to me. Webpass uses an antenna on the roof of the building that connects to a nearby building that has fiber installed. Although I have not experienced it yet (just had installed yesterday) I know from talking to neighbors that there are occasional outages due to weather, etc.

So, for now, I have set-up my RT-AC88U with ASUSWrt-Merlin dual-homed, with fallback to Cox. I was thinking of going to their lowest-cost, lowest-speed service, but at $42.99 for 10mbps down and something paltry up, even that doesn't make sense, since I can have a USB modem added to my ATT wireless account for $10/month and get higher speeds. (Same price as WiFi hotspot, which I already have on my iPhone.)

I would like recommendations for a USB LTE 4G modem that is known to be compatible with the RT-AC88U and AsusWrt-Merlin.

I *might* also want to upgrade my router to a newer/faster one, as I notice that the CPU maxes out when I run speedtest from my desktop. I do get up to 800kbps, but CPU1 at least is pegged. So, I need to also consider compatibility with my next router.

I also may decide to just go with a separate security appliance ahead of the WiFi router, and then my wired network would just come off of the security appliance, and not go through the Asus.

I am on the 3rd floor of a 1927 concrete/steel frame terra-cotta brick curtain wall (yikes, hope they don't pop out in an earthquake!) high-rise structure on the edge of downtown San Diego. We have cell nodes on street corners, but, still, LTE coverage is a bit difficult, and so I think I want to make sure that there is the capability to use an external antenna.

Let me know what has worked for you!

I'd like to get recommendations for an LTE 4G modem to use as backup to my gigabit synchronous Webpass/Google Fiber service.

Let me know what has worked for you!

Just a thought consider buying a WiFi hotspot from AT&T instead of a modem. Many most can be connected to your router with an USB cable and will serve as a modem.

The advantage of doing it this way is that when you are traveling you can take the hotspot with you and use it for Internet service. I don't have your router but I have used two ZTE devices as well as a Samsung. They all automatically synched up using prior versions Merlin's firmware. The ZTE devices were the easiest requiring that I new nothing other than plug the USB cord into the hotspot and the router and then set up the fallover WAN on the router.

Oh, thank you! I had no idea that there were WiFi Hotspots that can be connected to the router by USB.

I already have WiFi Hotspot enabled on my iPhone X, so I wouldn't need the hotspot when traveling. But, still, this would likely be in a better form factor for desktop use than a dongle. I know some of the dongles support external antenna, but I imagine a dongle weighted-down by antenna cable(s) isn't ideal!

Oh, and this... I forgot to mention that I would like to avoid using a ZTE device. I know they are very popular, but for security reasons I prefer not to.

Another thought... I wonder if AsusWRT-Merlin will ever support dual-home by connecting to a WiFi Hotspot via WiFi? When I had only Cox, my hotspot was my backup. I only needed it a couple of times, but I expect more frequent need with Webpass. It is inconvenient, because I have to manually switch my Mac Mini over to WiFi from wired, and of course I have wired-only devices on my network, though nothing critical.

Huawei and ZTE have nice LTE modems/routers. It depends on your mobile operator exactly which one you get. I got the Huawei B315s-22 and I connect it via rj45 to my 68u

Oh, thank you! I had no idea that there were WiFi Hotspots that can be connected to the router by USB.

I already have WiFi Hotspot enabled on my iPhone X, so I wouldn't need the hotspot when traveling. But, still, this would likely be in a better form factor for desktop use than a dongle. I know some of the dongles support external antenna, but I imagine a dongle weighted-down by antenna cable(s) isn't ideal!

Oh, and this... I forgot to mention that I would like to avoid using a ZTE device. I know they are very popular, but for security reasons I prefer not to.

Another thought... I wonder if AsusWRT-Merlin will ever support dual-home by connecting to a WiFi Hotspot via WiFi? When I had only Cox, my hotspot was my backup. I only needed it a couple of times, but I expect more frequent need with Webpass. It is inconvenient, because I have to manually switch my Mac Mini over to WiFi from wired, and of course I have wired-only devices on my network, though nothing critical.

By using a reasonably longer USB cord you might/ should be able to position the Hotspot in a window to improve LTE signal strength. I don't believe the USB cable would be subject to as much attenuation as trying to extend an antenna with a longer cable.

Thank you nord_musician for pointing out what should have been obvious to me! An Ethernet connection would probably raise the least compatibility concern. I hadn't even thought that there were LTE hotspots that can be connected by Ethernet.

I assume I can disable the WiFi radio(s)?

Huawei and ZTE have nice LTE modems/routers. It depends on your mobile operator exactly which one you get. I got the Huawei B315s-22 and I connect it via rj45 to my 68u

Keep in mind that there are long standing concerns about Huawei and ZTE with security and backdoors - modems I might trust, but the router side...

Keep in mind that there are long standing concerns about Huawei and ZTE with security and backdoors - modems I might trust, but the router side...

Cisco and Juniper sold compromised/backdoored devices too in the past...