What's new

Recommendations / TS-251 vs TS-251A vs DS218+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jose C

Occasional Visitor
Im planning to upgrade to any of these three NAS devices.

Already decided im going with a 2 bay device, price is almost similar for the three models mentioned.

TS-251a and DS218+ look very similar to me, both can do 4k, dual core intel processor, both can do transcode on the fly but it looks like from 1080 and above it is not really smooth.

TS-251a and ts-251+ can upgrade to up to 8gb ram whil ds218+ can only make it to 6gb.

ds218+ is a newer model compared to the qnaps. and TS-251+ is older than TS-251a

I see that the TS-251+ has a quadcore processor which I think it will be better for transcoding, virtualization and encryption.

Considering that what I want to achieve with the NAS are the following, which model would you recomment out of the three mentioned?:

-File backup (of course)
-virtualize linux server
-HDD encryption
-plex server, serving 1 maybe 2 devices at the time

I know that for this it will be better to get those +6GB of ram so that I have it in mind when buying the device.

Thanks!

Between TS-251a and DS218+, I will choose DS218+ right away. J3355 is quite a bit better than N3060, but 8GB of RAM may be important for virtualizing linux server. I still think having faster CPU is more important.

I can't compare TS-251+ with those two right now, because I couldn't find detailed specs from a quick search. With quad core processor and 8GB RAM, TS-251+ might be a better choice than DS218+ not to mention its dual Ethernet ports. But Synology software seems generally better than QNAP and Synology updates its app more often. Synology Virtual Machine Manager is still in beta though.

I wonder if DS718+ can be added to the choice? I still think it will be too expensive.

Hi, thanks for your feedback, I did notice the cpuboss information and saw it is a little faster.

At the end I decided to go with the ts251a just because it was newer than the ts251+, it can handle more ram than the Synology and also because the qnap OS seemed more mature to me.

Thanks again for he feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!