What's new

Recommended 3G/4G routers to use with AC87U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Can anyone recommend a router for 3/4G connectivity, in the UK. Either dongle or fully fledged router, to use as a secondary WAN should the cable (DOCSIS 3) fail.

My current dongle is only Win7 supported so a PITA to debug if the Asus isn't playing nice.

I briefly used the O2 Huawei 4g dongle while waiting for my Openreach connection to be installed (7 weeks) and was pleased with it. You can pick them up on a data-only sim.

Normally they have a £40 fee for issuing the dongle (£16 up front, £1 a month till paid off but you can pay it off early and it is yours forever) plus the monthly data allocation on contract which runs until you pay off the device. At the time I took mine they did an "up to 40Gb a month" with a special offer of no contract payments for 3 months which was perfect as I was just waiting for the Openreach work to be completed. I paid the deposit, used it for a month and a bit then paid it off. Now it is mine to keep with no more monthly contract payments and I can put a PAYG data sim in it if I need it again.

I didn't use it with my AC87U - my devices just saw the dongle's network and hooked straight in automatically once I fed them the password. Ask on the O2 forum if you have specific questions.