What's new

Recommended config for 160 MHz with WiFi 6 and AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

I just upgraded to the latest stock Asus firmware, have a 2GB pipe to my cable modem via WAN aggregation, and now I can realize my full Internet bandwidth with 802.11ax. With my Comcast gigabit DOCSIS connection, I'm getting the fully provisioned 1.2Gbps to my WiFi 6 clients.

Currently, I have the 5 GHz network setup with "channel bandwidth" set to 160 MHz, "control channel" set to "36" and "extension channel" set to "auto" the only choice possible. Initially, last night, I set "control channel" set to "auto" and while I was getting the full 160 MHz. It mysteriously disappeared after a few hours and fellback to 80 MHz. Not sure if that was due to DFS issues and radar or something else.

I see the following events in the log, but nothing seems to indicate radar or DFS was a factor.

Jan 26 02:32:51 cfg_server: event: wl_chanspec_changed_action
Jan 26 02:32:51 cfg_server: skip event due no re
Jan 26 02:32:54 acsd: eth7: NONACSD channel switching to channel spec: 0xe39b (161/80)
Jan 26 03:04:13 cfg_server: event: wl_chanspec_changed_action
Jan 26 03:04:13 cfg_server: skip event due no re

QUESTION:

Is the recommendation to stick with a static control channel (as I have it set now) and keep channel bandwidth on 160 MHz (not 20/40/80/160)? Or is it better to let the router manage an auto config with DFS?

I just upgraded to the latest stock Asus firmware, have a 2GB pipe to my cable modem via WAN aggregation, and now I can realize my full Internet bandwidth with 802.11ax. With my Comcast gigabit DOCSIS connection, I'm getting the fully provisioned 1.2Gbps to my WiFi 6 clients.

Currently, I have the 5 GHz network setup with "channel bandwidth" set to 160 MHz, "control channel" set to "36" and "extension channel" set to "auto" the only choice possible. Initially, last night, I set "control channel" set to "auto" and while I was getting the full 160 MHz. It mysteriously disappeared after a few hours and fellback to 80 MHz. Not sure if that was due to DFS issues and radar or something else.

I see the following events in the log, but nothing seems to indicate radar or DFS was a factor.

Jan 26 02:32:51 cfg_server: event: wl_chanspec_changed_action
Jan 26 02:32:51 cfg_server: skip event due no re
Jan 26 02:32:54 acsd: eth7: NONACSD channel switching to channel spec: 0xe39b (161/80)
Jan 26 03:04:13 cfg_server: event: wl_chanspec_changed_action
Jan 26 03:04:13 cfg_server: skip event due no re

QUESTION:

Is the recommendation to stick with a static control channel (as I have it set now) and keep channel bandwidth on 160 MHz (not 20/40/80/160)? Or is it better to let the router manage an auto config with DFS?

Do you have any non-160 MHz clients to accommodate?

If you could determine why it dropped to 80 MHz, you could probably answer your questions.

Me, I would be inclined to only force a dedicated wireless backhaul to 160 MHz between two known client routers, and leave the client WLANs more general, and fixed to avoid Auto and DFS disruptions.

OE

Do you have any non-160 MHz clients to accommodate?

If you could determine why it dropped to 80 MHz, you could probably answer your questions.

Me, I would be inclined to only force a dedicated wireless backhaul to 160 MHz between two known client routers, and leave the client WLANs more general, and fixed to avoid Auto and DFS disruptions.

OE
Sure, there are non-160 MHz clients on the network. Hard to say if a specific device caused an issue at 2am. I’ll have to see if something triggers the issue, but now I switched to a fixed channel

I’m using a laptop now with an Intel AC wifi adapter and no issues for hours with audio, video, file sharing, etc.

So sounds like you would use a fixed control channel vs using auto. Correct?

So sounds like you would use a fixed control channel vs using auto. Correct?

Yes, if I think I can choose a fixed channel that works, and stake it out for my use in the face of all of the auto channel WiFi around me, I prefer to hold onto it and avoid auto/DFS channel changes that can briefly upset client connections.

But don't hesitate to go with what seems to work best for your environment.

Right now I have 2.4 channel 11 all to myself while all of the neighboring WiFi looks like spiral art on the channels below me. I want to stay on 11.

OE