What's new

Recovering encrypted data on another machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sandman

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I'm looking at setting up a new nas. I have another thread here with some history of my discovery of how to proceed.

For this discussions, I think these requirements are important:
  • 4 disks
    • Primary internal drive to store everything.
    • Secondary internal drive to backup the primary drive. Right now I don't think I'll RAID, but I'm not totally against it.
    • (2) External drives to backup the the primary internal drive. The drives would be rotated on occasion and one moved offsite. As such, I would like to encrypt the contents of these drives.
  • I want to be able to recover the data on the disks if the nas fails on a non-NAS system.
    • I've seen a lot of NAS systems use EXT4, which i believe I can read from Ubuntu.
    • If I'm recovering the external drive I need to be able to decrypt
With a Synology NAS, it looks like backup, encryption, and recovery can be accomplished via Hyper Backup. It appears it does have a client application for all the major platforms that can be used to decrypt the content if needed.

So, my question is, does anybody have experience with Hyper Backup in these scenarios? Is there any reliability issues or otherwise?

TIA

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!