What's new

"Reducing USB 3.0 interference" missing from AC3100 menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consorts

I happen to notice the setting is missing from the
wireless, professional, 2.4ghz page
while the ac3100 has a 3.0 port on the front panel

documentation says this option is supposed to be between
Enable WMM APSD
???
Optimize AMPDU aggregation

i remember when i setup my usb3 i set it's mode to usb 3.0
so does putting it specifically in 3.0 mode somehow enable interference reducing?
i would ask on asus forum but it's gone, and support email is run by manual link bots.

i'm using a usb3 flash and my 2.4ghz apt building noise is -90 dBm
(according to the system.log, wireless.log page)
so i was hoping to find and enable this setting to see if it helps at all.

i remember when i setup my usb3 i set it's mode to usb 3.0
so does putting it specifically in 3.0 mode somehow enable interference reducing?
i would ask on asus forum but it's gone, and support email is run by manual link bots.

i'm using a usb3 flash and my 2.4ghz apt building noise is -90 dBm
(according to the system.log, wireless.log page)
so i was hoping to find and enable this setting to see if it helps at all.
This has been asked before and the explanation was that - yes, they moved and renamed the option under USB3. To make matters worse, when you hover the mouse pointer over the USB Mode label, the "help" is very confusingly worded. But I took the hint and bought a short and heavily shielded USB3 cable. I haven't had any problems with 2.4GHz interference.
BTW, I'm not sure if -90dBm for noise is a good thing or a bad thing. It certainly is bad for a client signal.

they moved and renamed the option under USB3

bought a short and heavily shielded USB3 cable.

i'm sorry, i still don't follow WHERE that option was moved to.

i found that actually makes things worse (cut open jacket to confirm shielding) maybe because the connector is more exposed, and i even tried wrapping the connector in aluminum foil - still was worse than leaving the flash plugged directly into the router's usb3 port.

on first network map page if a stick is plugged into USB3.0 you can click on the icon and change to 2.0 mode to reduce interferences.

-90dB is less than nothing :p and cant disturb your 2.4G. Below -80dBm you wont get any reliable connection, at least it is valid for me here.

i'm sorry, i still don't follow WHERE that option was moved to.

i found that actually makes things worse (cut open jacket to confirm shielding) maybe because the connector is more exposed, and i even tried wrapping the connector in aluminum foil - still was worse than leaving the flash plugged directly into the router's usb3 port.
As Grisu said it is there. And I also noticed the same setting under "Admin/System/USB3 Setting" (on my 68U running latest 32799 firmware). Oddly, the help text is different than on the USB3 icon setting. I assume both settings are the same internally.

Last edited:
on first network map page if a stick is plugged into USB3.0 you can click on the icon and change to 2.0 mode to reduce interference.

i'm confused... so when i changed the default from usb2 to usb3 while using my usb3 stick, did i inadvertent enable reducing usb 3.0 interference or disable it?

"Admin/System/USB3 Setting" (on my 68U running latest 32799 firmware)

on ac3100 (merlin 384.7) the only option there is: Enable HDD Hibernation no/yes

its the same like ever!

USB3.0 runs upto the same frequency spectrum as 2.4G, so disabling it by downgrading to USB2.0 will reduce WiFi interfernces.
They all the time said this (with different wording) and did the same by disabling USB3.0 speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!