What's new

amcfwm - AsusWRT-Merlin Custom Firmware Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think there's a pretty good consensus that leaving SSH ports default and having password based logins are a bad idea, but to each their own. I've specifically made it so the port will only be changed if left default.

The recommendation for Ubuntu desktop was mostly for support reasons, someone more unfamiliar with Linux will have an easier time in a Desktop environment. This isn't enforced so users are free to use either flavour.
I have a debian buster base environment as well, would this be suitable to run on that?

So I was just checking in on the WireGuard thread over in the VPN forum and a question occurred to me:
Couldn't this tool be used to fork Merlin to exclude OpenVPN and include WireGuard, if one knew what one was doing?

So I was just checking in on the WireGuard thread over in the VPN forum and a question occurred to me:
Couldn't this tool be used to fork Merlin to exclude OpenVPN and include WireGuard, if one knew what one was doing?
the question you pose is much deeper then changing a couple of files around.

the question you pose is much deeper then changing a couple of files around.
Right, there are modules, dependencies...complexities, I suppose. But for someone who KNOWS what they're doing (and I'm not that person, by far), it is theoretically possible, yes? That person might have to have the same access to ASUS proprietary stuff as RMerlin does, I would expect...but genies could be unbottled by people with the right tools and knowledge of how to use them, I'm assuming.

And yes, I know how heretical I am in asking...

Last edited:
I have a debian buster base environment as well, would this be suitable to run on that?

Could it work? Possibly, the script is POSIX compliant so technically it should at-least run on all distros. With that being said Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is the only officially supported distro so running this on anything else would mean your on your own.

Could it work? Possibly, the script is POSIX compliant so technically it should at-least run on all distros. With that being said Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is the only officially supported distro so running this on anything else would mean your on your own.
I understand you have to the draw the line on support- otherwise every one with their own lil setups would come asking for help. I appreciate your efforts on making asuswrt-merlin life easier.

I would have to say the only thing preventing me from trying this in another distro is the SSH manipulations. other wise i would give it a whirl. Good job though for setting this up for Ubuntu 18.04, I am up and running with no issues to report.

found a small glitch, the RT-AC5300 stays enabled even after attempting to disable it.

upload_2020-4-12_14-42-35.png

Had to force it disabled using option 24

I have no issues with the ssh config. I'm just happy I was able to build busybox with vi/UNDO support ;-)
Now, on to getting chrony into the tree.

Nice job Adamm.

Right, there are modules, dependencies...complexities, I suppose. But for someone who KNOWS what they're doing (and I'm not that person, by far), it is theoretically possible, yes? That person might have to have the same access to ASUS proprietary stuff as RMerlin does, I would expect...but genies could be unbottled by people with the right tools and knowledge of how to use them, I'm assuming.

And yes, I know how heretical I am in asking...
Such a person probably does not need this script...

(I’m also not such a person;))

For some reason, it doesn't want to build AX88U yet its fine with AC88U

Using the steps and ISO provided you should be able to build any model. I've tested this from a fresh install multiple times.

Using the steps and ISO provided you should be able to build any model. I've tested this from a fresh install multiple times.
Under Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, amcfwm 1.0.0, I have successfully built AX88u and AX58u.

Under Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, amcfwm 1.0.0, I have successfully built AX88u and AX58u.
Can the build for the RT-AX58U be used on the RT-AX56U, or must an explicit RT-AX56U compile be used?

Can the build for the RT-AX58U be used on the RT-AX56U, or must an explicit RT-AX56U compile be used?

They are separate. RMerlin does specific tweaks Etc for each model. Unless he co-lists them saying “use the same build as” then you can use the same.

Builds look different from what I can see, @RMerlin may have forgotten to add support for this model to his original build script when adding AX58U support. I'll hold off for the time being until he can clarify if there is any specific reason he doesn't want people compiling for this model or if it was just an oversight.

I added the RT-AX56U later, so I just haven't pushed the updated build script yet. I build using a copy of the script to ensure it does not get committed every time I change the models I want to build, so I have to manually port my changes to the public version.

I just pushed the updated copy to the repo.

The RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U use a different CPU and a different 5 GHz radio, do not mix the two firmware, it won't work.

I've pushed v1.0.1

Code:
AX56U Support
Dynamic repo check value
Better failed build output
Only change SSH port if default
Fix BAC3200 Typo
Remove duplicate packages in apt list

Note: Support will only be provided for questions relating to this script, not general VM/Linux questions. If you are unfamiliar with working in a Linux environment this script probably isn't aimed at you.

If you are having troubles with the steps provided, there's a good chance you did something wrong. Start fresh and try again. I made sure to test a fresh install on at-least 5 different occasions to make sure no additional steps were required.

Problem remains why can I build AC88U but not ax88u/ac5300 ?

Are you not perhaps running out of disk space on your Ubuntu 18.04 system? Only asking because multiple Builds chew up a lot of disk space - and when I attempted a 3rd model build without clearing prior build folders - the 3rd build failed when the disk space was too small to complete. I have since rebuilt my VMWare Workstation 15 to have 50Gb of disk space.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!