What's new

amcfwm - AsusWRT-Merlin Custom Firmware Manager

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VMware 15 running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
16GB ram
i7-7700K processor
50GB space

I did post an output log if you can maybe make sense of it :)

I am running a build of RT-AX88U now [having already run builds for RT-AC86U and RT-AC5300] - will see if I can replicate your error.

Hmmm, my latest build of AX58u just failed. Seems the linker cant find -lgcc:

/opt/toolchains//crosstools-arm-gcc-5.5-linux-4.1-glibc-2.26-binutils-2.28.1/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-gnueabi-ld: cannot find -lgcc

After this line, its a cascade of recipe failed

I managed to build another AC88U no problem (uploaded it and its running fine). The moment I touch the AX88U it fails after a few seconds

The output log is also massively different from the failed ax88U

My build of the RT-AX88U took just over an hour and ended without any faults.
My 18.04 VM has 4Gb Ram and 2 cores assigned.

There must be some data corruption in your setup - too many folk have zero issues compiling ... so fault is not with @Adamm script.
Suggest you try this ...
  • Option 4 - Settings - reset all with option 25; - go back to 4 - Settings and ensure that all builds are Disabled;
  • Option 6 - Clear Inactive Builds;
  • Option 3 - Setup Repo / Toolchain
Then back to settings to enable just the AX88U and try that build again.

If that fails - trash your VM and follow each step in the first post to build a new one.

I want to try this with a dedicated ubuntu OS environment as oppose to my VM I only use for occasional compiling. Has any one tested it out in an official ubuntu OS environment as oppose to running it only through a VM?

There’s no reason it wouldn’t work, the reason I recommend a fresh VM is to minimise points of failure.

Fresh Ubuntu/VM 50GB tried a different laptop with a i7-9750H 16GB RAM and 6 cores yet it still fails .

https://pastebin.com/raw/dcLNUzxp
I know the error is on my side if others can manage to get it working but the question is where ?

Post your full build log, that snippet is useless. As previously mentioned, if your compiling 3 models your problem is probably HDD size, each build takes around 20GB

That was the full log in rt-ax88u output text. I've since bumped up space to 100GB but I'm gonna PM you Teamviewer details if your willing to have a look.

Nuke your VM and start again. Please respect this thread and the initial post which clearly states I will only be providing support for script related issues, not general Linux/compiling issues. This is the main reason I didn't want to release this script, I can't be everyone's personal support tech when there are so many variables of things that can go wrong. If you follow the steps correctly there shouldn't be an issue, this has been confirmed by multiple members who have no issue building images.

Note: Support will only be provided for questions relating to this script, not general VM/Linux/Compiling questions. If you are unfamiliar with working in a Linux environment this script probably isn't aimed at you.

I am now back to compiling AX88 and AX58 fine.
Thanks @kernol for the 3 step advice!

BTW, this is not on a Ubuntu VM. I am running native on a dual boot laptop.

I am now back to compiling AX88 and AX58 fine.
Thanks @kernol for the 3 step advice!

BTW, this is not on a Ubuntu VM. I am running native on a dual boot laptop.
Thanks;) now I know it will be safe to run with my dual boot. :cool::cool:
I can confirm it works under dual-boot for me running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I am currently testing it on Windows 10 using running a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in a Bash Subshell Environment.

Last edited:
[mention]Adamm [/mention]

I apologize if this has been asked before but since the builds take a while to compile (up to 1 hour for my AX88U) would it be possible to add a progress bar to this script? It would be nice to have an idea of what the status of the build is.

No problem if it is not possible. Thank you considering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Marin I'm sure that your suggestion and more will become available as amcfwm matures. :)

In the meantime, just note the time when you hit 'go'.

I also wish spaghetti had a built-in indicator like you suggest above, but until that happens, I'm sticking to my trusty Timex and counting out 570 seconds from 'now'. :D:D:D

Thanks;) now I know it will be safe to run with my dual boot. :cool::cool:
I can confirm it works under dual-boot for me running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I am currently testing it on Windows 10 using running a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in a Bash Subshell Environment.
Skip the Bash Subshell Environment, at least for now. Maybe one day when it matures enough it might be able to, but it is waaaayyyy to slow, even on a SSD.

@Marin I'm sure that your suggestion and more will become available as amcfwm matures. :)

In the meantime, just note the time when you hit 'go'.

I also wish spaghetti had a built-in indicator like you suggest above, but until that happens, I'm sticking to my trusty Timex and counting out 570 seconds from 'now'. :D:D:D

Ha! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I just can’t help it! I love to tinker with my toys too!

Just got my first build compiled and uploaded. Took exactly 1 hour. So far everything is good.

[mention]Adamm [/mention]

I apologize if this has been asked before but since the builds take a while to compile (up to 1 hour for my AX88U) would it be possible to add a progress bar to this script? It would be nice to have an idea of what the status of the build is.

No problem if it is not possible. Thank you considering!

Unfortunately not as there is nothing to base the progress bar on. But as you said, builds take roughly an hour so you can use that as a fairly accurate estimation.

I've pushed v1.0.1
Code:
AX56U Support
AX56U build required
Code:
if [ "$BAC56" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC68" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC87" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3200" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3100" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC5300" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC86" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX58" = "n" ]; then
changing to
Code:
if [ "$BAC56" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC68" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC87" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3200" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3100" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC5300" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC86" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX58" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX56" = "n" ]; then
and my very first RT-AX56U build attempt to get Wireguard (wireguard.ko /wg/wg-quick) was almost successful.

Thanks for the script.

AX56U build required
Code:
if [ "$BAC56" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC68" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC87" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3200" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3100" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC5300" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC86" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAX58" = "n" ]; then
changing to
Code:
if [ "$BAC56" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC68" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC87" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3200" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC88" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC3100" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC5300" = "n" ] && [ "$BAC

Thanks, always the minor issues that slip past :p Pushed a hotfix.

and my very first RT-AX56U build attempt to get Wireguard (wireguard.ko /wg/wg-quick) was almost successful.

Thanks for the script.

Glad to hear it was of some use.

I'm sorry if I offended you it really wasn't my intention. I can admit I have limited knowledge when it comes to writing code and even understanding it but I attempted it anyway because it looked like 3 basic steps.

Heres my final attempt after this I guess I'll leave it to the professionals.

My attempt :

1.Download VMware Workstation 15 (https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html) and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (from the link)
2.Create new Virtual machine with 60GB storage , 2 cores and 8GB ram
3.Wait for the Ubuntu setup to finish
4.Press CTRL+ALT+T to open a terminal then install curl (sudo apt install curl)
5.Then Step 1 install amcfwm (mkdir -p "$HOME/amcfwm" && curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/am_cfwm/master/amcfwm.sh" -o "$HOME/amcfwm/amcfwm.sh" && chmod 755 "$HOME/amcfwm/amcfwm.sh")
6.Then Step 2 setup the VM (sh $HOME/amcfwm/amcfwm.sh install)
7.Generate public key (Press enter once :Created directory ('/home/claus/.ssh') .
No passphrase and second enter to confirm no passphrase
Gives me my SSH pubkey and ask me to enter
8.Opens a GNU nano 2.9.3 /home/claus/.ssh/authorized_keys window that doesnt look like its doing anything so I close the window
9.Then Step 3 setup Setup Firmware/Toolchain Git Repo (sh $HOME/amcfwm/amcfwm.sh repo)
10. Open the menu with amcfwm and select option 4 then option 22 (I wanna try and build AX88U firmware) then enter and select option 1 to start building
10.1 Get error codes :

--- 07:52 - Global cleanup...
--- 07:52 - Preparing trees

*** 07:52 - Cleaning up rt-ax88u...
*** 07:52 - Updating rt-ax88u tree...
*** 07:54 - rt-ax88u code ready.
--- 07:54 - All trees ready!

--- 07:54 - Launching all builds
*** 07:54 - Starting building rt-ax88u...
--- 07:54 - All builds launched, please wait...
!!! 07:55 - rt-ax88u build failed!
!!! 07:55 - /home/claus/amcfwm/rt-ax88u-output.txt

=== 07:55 - All done!

11. Open /home/claus/amcfwm/rt-ax88u-output.txt https://pastebin.com/AbHJtn0U (yes that's the full log copied from top to bottom)
I had to enable the force option.under settings to get mine to work on the first time building the rtax88u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!