What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Updated (4-Oct-2017): 380.68_4 is now available.

Updated (12-Sept-2017): 380.68_2 is now available.

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.68_2 is now available for all supported models. The focus for this release was some code cleanups (not visible to end-users), webui improvements (including various backports from GPL 382) and bug fixing. The highlights:

IMPORTANT:: Due to the large amount of CSS changes to the webui, you will need to either flush your browser cache, or do a forced reload (shift-reload) the first time you access the webui after the firmware update.

• Backported Network Map's Ethernet port status from GPL 382
  • Merged RT-N66U binary blobs from GPL 380_7743 (so all models are now based on GPL 7743 binary files).
  • Added missing hash types to ipset_arm.
  • Backported the menuTree API from GPL 382. This new module takes care of generating the menu and tabs using objects rather than a messy set of arrays with exception handling. There should be no real visible difference to end-users, however developers who modify the webui will need to adjust to the new system (which should make it much easier now to add your own tabs to the existing menus).
  • Description field added to the OpenVPN Client page, used on the VPN Status page.
  • New webui menu icons backported from GPL 382
  • Re-organized VPN pages (more in-line with stock firmware, some pages merged together)
  • Reworked VPNStatus page (auto-refresh, report OpenVPN client local and public IP)
  • Reworked SSL management interface, backported the cert upload support from GPL 382.
  • Reworked Sysinfo page, made most dynamic data auto-refresh itself, redesigned port status using the new TableAPI from Asus's GPL 382.
  • Reworked DHCP Lease log page, based on new Table API from GPL 382, with sortable columns
  • Reworked System Log page. Backported form GPL 382 (now auto-refresh itself), moved remote syslog settings to it, and added option to configure the remote server's port.
  • Updated Curl to 7.54.1 and nano to 2.8.6.
  • NTP client will no longer alternate between ntp0 (on webui) and ntp1 (hardcoded in nvram) servers. The webui server will always be used, except if that setting is empty.
  • Re-designed the way the Tor database backup is handled. It will always backup the database at exit time, and databases older than 7 days will be deleted. This will also fix Tor failing to start if a backed up database had the wrong user permissions.
  • FTP Server will now automatically configure and use a small set of ports to passive FTP (fixing TLS support over WAN, where the NAT helper couldn't work).
  • Fixed port forward/UPnP issues with NAT acceleration enabled and specific NAT loopback modes.
  • Fixed URL filtering over IPv4
  • Fixed a few OpenVPN webui issues (progress going to 200%, connected users not highlighting with two or more clients)
  • Fixed CVE-2017-11344, CVE-2017-11345 and CVE-2017-11420 security issues in networkmap
  • Fixed SMB issues when SMB2 is enabled under certain configurations
  • Fixed random invalid SSL cert generation

Please read the Changelog for more details on other changes in this release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Great job Merlin. Thank you for all the work you do.

I am interested to know your thoughts on Cake as a queue discipline vs fq_codel. Is this something that would be worth implementing in the future? https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake/

It would also be cool if you could implement some of FreshJR's QoS improvements right into the firmware in the future. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/
It made a huge difference once I got all my traffic properly identified into the right class queues. Maybe an "Advanced" toggle or separate Q0S - Professional tab similar to the Wireless - Professional section that lets you create additional rules to help put traffic from certain IPs, MACs or ports into a class to better shape the traffic.

UI gets messed up after installing Astrill applet on AC87U. When i format JFFS and reboot everything works fine. after I install astrill UI gets messed up again. I tried clearing cache ctrl f5 shift refresh everything...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,571
UI gets messed up after installing Astrill applet on AC87U. When i format JFFS and reboot everything works fine. after I install astrill UI gets messed up again. I tried clearing cache ctrl f5 shift refresh everything...
Likely Astrill's applet installer has not been updated to accommodate the heavy changes merlin has made to the UI in this release.

Likely Astrill's applet installer has not been updated to accommodate the heavy changes merlin has made to the UI in this release.
do they usually make such changes quickly, i hope it wont take them forever to notice and make the changes otherwise I will have to revert back to prev merlin version :(

I am interested to know your thoughts on Cake as a queue discipline vs fq_codel. Is this something that would be worth implementing in the future?

Not possible, Broadcom's kernel is too old.

It would also be cool if you could implement some of FreshJR's QoS improvements right into the firmware in the future.

I prefer to avoid making major changes to the underlying QoS system. First reason being I'm not really an expert on Linux' traffic classifier, and don't want to deal with the increased burden of providing support for such changes.

do they usually make such changes quickly, i hope it wont take them forever to notice and make the changes otherwise I will have to revert back to prev merlin version :(
Or just load the astrill ovpn config manually in merlin's openvpn section. I would assume you could still do that.

It will be in their interest to look into it, because the same webui code will most likely eventually make its way into the last generation of Asus models (AC56/68/88/etc...).

It will be in their interest to look into it, because the same webui code will most likely eventually make its way into the last generation of Asus models (AC56/68/88/etc...).
I created a ticket with their support hopefully they will look into it

I created a ticket with their support hopefully they will look into it

They have my contact info if they need more info as to what was changed with the new menu system. Overall it shouldn't be too hard for them to implement support for the new system.

@RMelin.
Thank you for the nice WebGui and update, it's a refreshment for FireFox (after update, deleting FF router IP adress cache).

@RMerlin

Thank You for Your Great Work & Effort!
Everything working Fantastic with latest fw.
Update from last beta went smooth :cool:
Again, Thank You!

I updated from 380.67 to 380.68 on my RT-AC88U and on the System Info page, the Ethernet Ports doesn't appear to be reading the Lan 5 to 8 ports correctly with respect to the VLAN and last device seen info. If displays NA and Unknown respectively for those ports despite all ports being used (link state appears correct). Lan ports 1 through 4 and WAN display correctly. I've cleared cache and also powered my router off and on.

Everything else seems to be working from my brief testing.

Screenshot_3.png

If displays NA and Unknown respectively for those ports

This is normal. That information cannot be retrieved from the Realtek switch, which is what it says that.

just curious RMerlin. Can't you port the new Ai-protection system on merlin firmware now?

No GPL drop, so I don't have neither the source code nor the compiled components for it.

Yes, this release is looking and working great, thank you Merlin.

A few things I would love to see one day is
forked-daapd instead of the old mt-daapd (but I see it requires a lot of libs)
Dnsmasq 2.77
NAT Loopback working
Updated vi editor

Hope I don't sound disrespectful. Again thank you very much Merlin for your efforts.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!