What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ax88 384.19 uptime 3 days
25 clients n/ac/ax over 2.4 and 5GHz
diversion/skynet/flexqos/yazfi/scribe/x3mrouting/vpn server/vpn clients/unbound/connmon/ntpMerlin/spdMerlin/etc... all working fine.
no errors. no problems. arghhhh! nothing to do! :)
Thanks merlin/community

First of all a million thanks to @RMerlin for his heroic work to make Asus routers shine this last decade!

Next I suggest we all honor him and all his great work so far by "donating" a few weeks of our time to Asus 386 RC betatesting to help them track down and sort out as many bugs as possible. And hopefully speed up the process to the final release of their new 386 firmware, and in the end Merlin's comeback!

This is not the right way. Asus knows well what they are doing. The fact we get frequent FW updates on different platforms meas different teams work on different projects. There are many more Asus products that sell well. Not just Merlin supported routers. Asus won't change the model. Synchronizing teams means delays. Not good for the business on a large scale.

Yeah, it's not reasonable to expect ASUS to change their development processes for what is a downstream project.

It is however unfortunate that the GPL code drops aren't as frequent as needed and that can't work at all well even if there was some way to change the development model to be more aligned with what upstream are doing.

It's certainly a difficult problem but not uncommon as upstream vs. downstream difficulties arise in many projects, and some have more impact than others and this is obviously on the more side of things.

Finally i have to downgrade te AX88 to .18 and now it run well. It has installed diversion, skynet, ntpMerlin, spdMerlin, uiDivStats and openvpn server and in the version .19, randoms crash and reboots, vpn clients haven't connection and try to change configuration. Now, in .18 all run again.

After upgrading AX58u to .19 from .18, httpd/web interface seems to only load 10% of the times - login page shows up after restart, but after that nothing. Not sure if this is related to jffs? I took a backup but without the web interface, unsure how to restore it.

I am able to log-in in the morning. Unsure if it "healed" overnight, we will find out!

Just adding another data point for dirty upgrade from 384.18 on an RT-AC88U. No problems detected.

Walked in last night, 86U running .18 was bricked..........removed usb, several nuke resets later, I updated to .19.
No wireless, 2 or 5 G notta, no internet access either..
Another nuke reset and again upload .19. So far this am 86u seems happy? However, after formatting new USB with Linux box to ext4, AMTM no go.
1597933659736.png

Yes, can resolve both sites via wired. Manual script to push update amtm ?

Maybe back to .17 as it was rock solid.

Thx

Are you guys using USB 3.0 or 2.0? What is the best to install all the scripts at once if possible? I am a noob with scripts. I was wondering if there was a video or a guide on getting them installed easily. Please let me know.

Are you guys using USB 3.0 or 2.0? What is the best to install all the scripts at once if possible? I am a noob with scripts. I was wondering if there was a video or a guide on getting them installed easily. Please let me know.

Either works, I prefer 2.0 for scripts and 3.0 for external USB drive. Scripts are very easy to follow. I use 16g only because there cheap with plenty of room. Amtm will walk you thru each step for each script.
You need putty or whatever SSH tool you prefer. To load 5 scripts takes maybe 10 minutes?

I updated our AC68U node from 384.18.to .19 via the AC86U router GUI four days ago and all has been well so far. The only thing I've noticed is the node's 5 GHz signal strength shows as one bar in the router GUI, whereas it was consistently two bars on .18.

Going to update the router once I can get a window that won't affect the household.

Hey, just tried updating from 384.17 to 384.19 on my 68U router, after updating all of the addons first.
I couldn't connect to the internet after updating. The main page said "Internet status: connected" but there was no connection neither LAN nor Wireless to the internet. I restarted and played around with some settings (DNS and DHCP) but nothing helped. Reverting to 384.17 I immediately gained internet access. I could access the router via putty and the web ui just fine.

Did I do something wrong? Could this be an ISP issue?

what are your settings on the 5GHz wireless config page?
I didn't change anything in settings.
It seems only my desktop card was impact on the new firmware. I have another laptop with intel ax200 too, it works fine. I saw the driver version are the same. Yesterday, I downgrade to .18 then all works fine. flash back to .19 then the desktop failed to connect to 5g band.

Attachments

• router_5g.png
    router_5g.png
    375.9 KB · Views: 147
The AC88U is not a GPON Router, I don't believe it has a SFP port.

In the link it states this is for GPON routers provided by ISPs for Fiber internet connections.
I mentioned it because I saw this:

Screenshot 2020-08-20 210907.jpg

I mentioned it because I saw this:

View attachment 25634

Hmm someone would have to clearify what asus has fixed there.

When I look at both (CVE-2018-10561) & (CVE-2018-10562) they both say "An issue was discovered on Dasan GPON home routers "

Hmm someone would have to clearify what asus has fixed there.

When I look at both (CVE-2018-10561) & (CVE-2018-10562) they both say "An issue was discovered on Dasan GPON home routers "
Discovered on but not limited to possibly??

Discovered on but not limited to possibly??

True but looking at video on the link.

Its looks to be some kind of injection attack and authenication by pass on a GPON module. So it looks to be pretty specific. So yes this attack may work on other GPON modules. But as I stated you cannot insert a GPON module into a AC88U.

First of all a million thanks to @RMerlin I suggest we all honor him and all his great work so far by "donating" a few weeks of our time to Asus 386 RC beta testing to help them track down and sort out as many bugs as possible. And hopefully speed up the process to the final release of their new 386 firmware, and in the end Merlin's comeback!
:) Jass,

I just did that for the last few weeks, I like the Stock 386 RC2-4; the new AiMesh 2.0 GUI provides consolidated view of my entire AiMesh Router/Nodes/Devices, Wifi roaming for me appears to be better (subjective, just observation and feeling). It has been generally stable for my case in my environment with my devices :)

But, I missed Merlin’s FW, for all the supporting scripts and I also need Policy based OpenVPN Client as one of my TV box device’s access including to it’s NTP Server got blocked by my ISP :(

For Merlin’s 384.19 Release, I am glad to report: I flashed Firmware to 384.19 followed by full Factory Reset (with USB drive removed) on my AiMesh Router (RT-AX88U) with 2x AiMesh Nodes (RT-AC86U). I used Merlin's FW default NVRAM values except for those that are specific to my environment such as my SSID, etc, all seems good:
  • Very Stable Wifi; I left all Wifi related NVRAM to Merlin's FW default, including Control Channels & bandwidths on “Auto”. I do not use Guest WiFi.
  • GUI Configuration: AiProtection, Asus DDNS (Let's Encrypt), OpenVPN Server (working with Tunnelblick (macOS Catalina) & OpenVPN Connect (iOS 13.6.1)), OpenVPN Client (PureVPN)
  • Scripts with AMTM: Diversion 4.1.12 uiDivStats 2.2.1 Skynet 7.2.1 connmon 2.6.0
Thank you, Merlin:)

Status
Not open for further replies.