What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure but post upgrade I've lost some crontab entries which I assume are related to the jffs partition although I have a 68U.
I found an old backup backup_jffs.tar but how do I put it back?
Do I need to format and then restore if so what's the commands?

Happy to see this tweet by @RMerlin:

"Still a LOT of work left to do and things to fix, but at least it compiles and it actually boots..."

1598387129827.png

One thing I noticed, PIA VPN reconnect was not connecting to any server as if it were having some blockage issues, nothing in the logs, so reverted back to Prior 384.19 Beta1 which did not have connection issues.

^^^ WRT formatting the JFFS and then restoring it, that has been unclear and not part of most details posted here. @L&LD I do not think said the format was necessary IF things looked OK after the restore. It's always been unclear to me how the router would behave after formatting JFFS... we know for sure the that if you changed the login ID, that would burn you.

OK after updating on Sunday, I'm seeing all of the J* amtm tooling has stopped working - Since most of this is on jffs, I'm now suspect that something is not quite right --> uiDivStats, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin... nothing updated since Sunday's update. I also noticed that some of these can toggle using jffs or the usb - interesting. Mine are all set for jffs.

At this point, I used amtm to uninstall each utility, then rebooted the router. Now I am slowly reinstalling them 1 by 1. Will report more later.

Last edited:
^^^ WRT formatting the JFFS and then restoring it, that has been unclear and not part of most details posted here. @L&LD I do not think said the format was necessary IF things looked OK after the restore. It's always been unclear to me how the router would behave after formatting JFFS... we know for sure the that if you changed the login ID, that would burn you.
For all that are having VPN server issues, please try reformatting JFFS and restoring ALL of JFFS (including hidden directories containing certs and/or ssh keys). This was the problem with one of several RT-AX88U routers that I upgraded (in addition to many RT-AX88U, RT-AC86U, and RT-AC68U successful upgrades).

^^^^ I'm thinking the format and restore route may be on my agenda this weekend on the AC86U

^^^^ I'm thinking the format and restore route may be on my agenda this weekend on the AC86U
You may be better of with a manual configure vs. a /jffs restore.

I gave 384.19 one-more-try and so far it has been working well. So, 29 hours uptime is not a lot but it is more uptime than I had before on 384.19.
Did an overflash of Asus stock, reboot, factory reset/initialize settings, manual minimum configure, format /jffs and reboot. Let the router run for a while before changing settings. Not using any AMTM programs. Do use QOS, AiProtect, VPN Server, Pi-Hole with Stubby. Router using DoT, DNSFilter On/Router with the Pi-Hole unfiltered.

Very interesting i wonder if he will post a Alpha build any time soon. I would give it go on my AX58U in a heartbeat.

No, don't expect anything anytime soon. That is only one single model (RT-AC86U), the merge isn't fully debugged yet, none of the AX-specific code has been merged in yet (I have to comb through my ax branch one commit at a time), and it's based on early beta 386 code which is not ready for public usage either.

Hi all, after the update can any of you login to download master?

I have been trying to login and it gives me an invalid credentials error. I can login to my router but not download master. This is the same problem with the official Asus firmware as well.

I have reset the router and tried multiple trouble shooting scenarios to check whether I have done something wrong.

Hoping to find some insight in to fixing this issue.

Thanks
David

No, don't expect anything anytime soon. That is only one single model (RT-AC86U), the merge isn't fully debugged yet, none of the AX-specific code has been merged in yet (I have to comb through my ax branch one commit at a time), and it's based on early beta 386 code which is not ready for public usage either.
Take your time Eric; many (if not most) of us will be simply content to know that you are looking this 386 branch over and assessing the viability of a Merlin release at this early stage of Beta development for the official Asus firmware release. :)

But the project is still alive and you're making progress, so still great news!

Following up per earlier. After removing the AMTM J* utilities (which were no longer working after the 384.19 upgrade and jffs restore 2 days ago) then rebooting the AC86U, waiting for several minutes, and then reinstalling each tool over about 30-60 minutes, all are now reporting again correctly in the main GUI with graphs which are up-to-date.

I guess something in jffs did not get restored properly or maybe key files were locked as in-use and then restoring jffs on top of all these running utilities or hosed-up jffs just was too much? IDK/understand how restoring the JFFS on a booted router is working properly IF there are files open/locked in the jffs - how could they be restored? uiDivStats, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin are the ones I removed and then reinstalled to get working. Skynet and Diversion seem to be behaving ok.

It's almost like there needs to be "pre-boot the router" to restore backups and jffs boot option to restore jffs files before the files are in use from a normal router boot? I suspect that's why you have to click to "format the jffs" then reboot the router.. it's doing something very early in the boot process to lock, then format the jffs, then release it. ..just a guess. I defer to the experts here.

Last edited:
Following up per earlier. After removing the AMTM J* utilities (which were no longer working after the 384.19 upgrade and jffs restore 2 days ago) then rebooting the AC86U, waiting for several minutes, and then reinstalling each tool over about 30-60 minutes, all are now reporting again correctly in the main GUI with graphs which are up-to-date.

I guess something in jffs did not get restored properly or maybe key files were locked as in-use and then restoring jffs on top of all these running utilities or hosed-up jffs just was too much? IDK/understand how restoring the JFFS on a booted router is working properly IF there are files open/locked in the jffs - how could they be restored? uiDivStats, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin are the ones I removed and then reinstalled to get working. Skynet and Diversion seem to be behaving ok.

It's almost like there needs to be "pre-boot the router" to restore backups and jffs boot option to restore jffs files before the files are in use from a normal router boot? I suspect that's why you have to click to "format the jffs" then reboot the router.. it's doing something very early in the boot process to lock, then format the jffs, then release it. ..just a guess. I defer to the experts here.

Its good seeing more posts like this, it makes me think the tides are turning. I mean, more reports of routers on .19 working really well after a thorough cleaning of JFFS and user-land scripts.

Well looking at your captures, I see that your WAN IP Address is 192.168.1.1 which is highly unusual, it's a local address. The capture of the DDNS is showing that you have a local IP for your wan connection. So there's something weird there. Do you currently have internet access working through this router? Do you connect to another router or to your internet service provider using a cable or fiber modem?

Hi,
kindly look at my start at this link.
Thank you

Hi All,

I'm on this latest FW with my AX88U.
Is it normal that the RAM usage is always around 95-96% sometimes more?
Fresh setup from scratch out of the box, logs are not stored in RAM, statistics turned on, amtm on USB...
Anyone experiencing this?

Hi All,

I'm on this latest FW with my AX88U.
Is it normal that the RAM usage is always around 95-96% sometimes more?
Fresh setup from scratch out of the box, logs are not stored in RAM, statistics turned on, amtm on USB...
Anyone experiencing this?

I've seen a discussion about this before and some users said that kind of RAM use was normal for Linux, while others hinted at a memory leak. My router (same model), has steady on 46% since last reboot 4 days ago. However I'm not running any amtm scripts. I did see that kind of RAM used on my router once though on a previous firmware, but not since moving to . 19.
Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty normal though, and most likely will be linked to your use-case.

Last edited:
Have a problem with 384.19 on a RT-AC3100 when using hotel internet... Being in a hotel I run everything through a VPN (Mullvad) except for the router. The router (WAN) is connected via ethernet to the hotel internet service.

It has a login page once you plug in and every 24 hours I get dropped and usually just reboot the router and the login screen pops up and with a room number and name it allows access to the internet again...

On 384.18 it was no problem rebooting and accessing the internet again. I loaded 384.19 in the middle of the day and access to the internet was still there. However, once the 24 hour drop occurs a simple reboot with .19 and it doesn't present the login screen for hotel access to the internet.

If I drop back to .18 then reboot after it is loaded the login screen appears and I can access the internet. I have done that a few times and it works each time.

The only thing in the logs is that ntpd doesn't start which obviously will not allow the VPN to start... but I do not even get the hotel login screen either.

Since the OpenVPN implementation changed on this release I thought I'd post before going any further and completely wiping and manually reconfiguring the router.

Thanks, David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!