What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I can't get into my router!!!
States password or username is incorrect..............
But it's not!!!!!
:(

It never rains, but it pours.....

All I did was revert back to 384.18.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to reset my router to the default settings? And of course, I did not save my settings this time!!!

X

Time to factory reset. I saw others reported that the password got encrypted in 384.19 which is why you are having issues going back to 384.18.

Time to factory reset. I saw others reported that the password got encrypted in 384.19 which is why you are having issues going back to 384.18.
F@%#, seriously! (Sorry for the language)!!!
I was hoping to avoid that because I did not back up my settings this upgrade (not thinking straight...)! lesson learned!
Very well, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

X

I can't remember after a factory reset, is there a progression of firmware to install, or can you directly install 384.18 or 384.19 if I dare?

Thanks

It's the same symptom I saw after I let the CRC errors run for maybe 12 hours when they first appeared. They seem to eventually "fill" the JFFS (or think it's full) and all the J* scripts start failing to run. You cannot create any files or directories on the JFFS. A reboot will give you relief but the CRC JFFS errors will return as long as the J* scripts are hitting the JFFS. You are headed to the same place... Is your AC86U log full of "CRC" errors?

I'll have more bandwidth over the weekend to maybe take a run at a couple of things. At some point I'm going to cut my losses and follow @L&LD nuke procedure or/and go back to 384.18. The gotcha on going back is the *@(* JFFS has supposedly now been resized to 47M down from 48M in 384.18, so IDK what the firmware will think about that. I think this little Asus gift is going to catch up with us sooner than later.

First on my agenda will be to do what I described about format followed by multiple clean 10 minute reboots... if that still proves to have JFFS errors (after putting the scripts back) then we are outta runway... there's no clean formatting the JFFS with 384.19 or my nand media is failing or both.

I think, now that I moved the J* scripts to USB drive, I could leave it and it might be OK as I've had no JFFS errors in 4 days.. but I feel it's only a matter of time with other things hitting the JFFS, only not has hard. :( YMMV.

I have no idea what changed but the VPN is up, spdmerlin is running and its been over a week now with no errors in the log.

Edit: The more I think about it I believe I did delete (hit the default button) on all my vpn clients, rebooted and then added back a single vpn client. So, perhaps there was something going on with the vpn client info that was causing issues.

Last edited:
I can't remember after a factory reset, is there a progression of firmware to install, or can you directly install 384.18 or 384.19 if I dare?

Thanks
I recommend you install 384.19. You can then restore jffs from your backup after doing the minimum config.

Thanks
A couple of days ago I was on Asus 384.82072 and flashed Merlin 384.17, did factory reset and minimal config, then flashed 384.18 and 384.19 and finished configuring. Not running AiProtect or any amtm progs. Do have a thumbdrive with swap partition and EXT4 partition to store traffic data. Have nightly reboot set and so far all is working well.
I discovered yesterday the Pi-Hole log was reporting queries from the router. Since I have DNS Filtering Router enabled I surmised the devices on my LAN, like Dish boxes and Roku, with hard coded DNS were being redirected by the router DNS FIlter to the Pi-Hole. Cool!

Howdy,

It looks like everything is working now, woohoo!
I think half the problem was me being tired and not thinking straight last night.
I did not have to resort to a hard reset...just a reset to get back into the router.
-Re-entered my credentials
-upgraded firmware to 384.19
-formatted JFFS partition and rebooted
-found a 2-month old Settings CFG file and uploaded it and rebooted
-notice some settings did not come back like DHCP configs, mesh node disappeared, some device names changed back to defaults, and others
-after about 5 reboots, everything seems to have come back to where I believe I'm good to go
The big thing I noticed is that the multiply reboots fixed the erroneous issues I had after the reset and upgrade. The big fix was the formatting and restoring of the JFFS partition.
Thank you for those you gave me their suggestions.
Fingers crossed there are no more issues!
The biggest improvement I have noticed after upgrading to 384.19 is the increase in download speed when testing. I went from an average of 350 Mbps to 550 Mbps with a wired connection and my wireless connection, 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps.

Cheers,

X

It was published the same day, so at most it should have appeared within 48 hours.

Make sure you are not confusing firmware updates with Trendmicro signature updates.
Thank you - yes and it was the same time my RT-AC86U 384.18 was choking up its DNS while the new fimrware update popped exclaimation mark on my router - I had to reboot the router to get it working again ...Do you thin it was co-related what was going on? (I disabled the auto schedule firmware check on my AC86U)

Thank you,

Hey,

Updated to Merlin's 384.19 from 384.18 last night before bed. Nothing but problems all day. Router keeps rebooting, internet drops consistently, very slow down/upload speeds (like only 10% of normal).
Also, traffic stats are not working for individual clients as well as individual apps...bizarre. Now I'm getting a "build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt! username Download with uid 856 is not in unix passwd database!". Never have this error before!!!
No special scripts running or VPN connection, very plain setup but not working properly.
My wife is not very happy with me since all her calls and work connection kept disconnecting. And of course, TV and PVR kept stopping since I'm with Rogers Ignite system!
I'm going to go back to 384.18 firmware and see if I can get back to some normality.
I'm running AC86U as my base with an RT-AC66U_B1 as a node.
I'll get back when done...fingers crossed!!!

X

This is the SMB password issue that you were having:

So, my router ran for 6 hours with minimal use and just rebooted twice by itself in the last 5 minutes.
384.19 is still giving me issues after all the work I did on it this morning!
At the moment there are only 5 devices connected, Rogers ignite TV (I was streaming a recorded tv show [PVR], smart tv, 2 phones, and my laptop. All other devices usually connected are off.
My AC86U just lost internet connection for the 3rd time in 15 min. My daughter just turned on her smart tv and within 30 seconds the internet went down.
I have attached a snippet of the Syslog around the times of issues.
I can't paste it in this post because it's too long. I have the sys long debug.
My only solution is to go back to 384.18 for my AC86U.
I'll take any suggestions at the moment before my router ends up out the window!

Thanks,

X

Link to log to view: https://bit.ly/3mvajLN

Attachments

• Syslog 3rd reboot.txt
    486.6 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
So, my router ran for 6 hours with minimal use and just rebooted twice by itself in the last 5 minutes.
384.19 is still giving me issues after all the work I did on it this morning!
At the moment there are only 5 devices connected, Rogers ignite TV (I was streaming a recorded tv show [PVR], smart tv, 2 phones, and my laptop. All other devices usually connected are off.
My AC86U just lost internet connection for the 3rd time in 15 min. My daughter just turned on her smart tv and within 30 seconds the internet went down.
I have attached a snippet of the Syslog around the times of issues.
I can't paste it in this post because it's too long. I have the sys long debug.
My only solution is to go back to 384.18 for my AC86U.
I'll take any suggestions at the moment before my router ends up out the window!

Thanks,

X

Link to log to view: https://bit.ly/3mvajLN
This kind of looks like some nvram overloaded, static charge issues described here. Some have had login credential issues after rolling back to .18 due to login being encrypted after an update to .19.

It's not advisable to use a saved config from one firmware version with a different firmware version.

Howdy,

It looks like everything is working now, woohoo!
I think half the problem was me being tired and not thinking straight last night.
I did not have to resort to a hard reset...just a reset to get back into the router.
-Re-entered my credentials
-notice some settings did not come back like DHCP configs, mesh node disappeared, some device names changed back to defaults, and others
-after about 5 reboots, everything seems to have come back to where I believe I'm good to go
The big thing I noticed is that the multiply reboots fixed the erroneous issues I had after the reset and upgrade. The big fix was the formatting and restoring of the JFFS partition.
Thank you for those you gave me their suggestions.
Fingers crossed there are no more issues!
The biggest improvement I have noticed after upgrading to 384.19 is the increase in download speed when testing. I went from an average of 350 Mbps to 550 Mbps with a wired connection and my wireless connection, 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps.

Cheers,

X
@xdj

Hi, what exactly have you done by "just a reset to get back into the router" instead of having done a hard reset since you were initially unable to login back again (Now I can't get into my router!!! States password or username is incorrect.............. But it's not!!!!!).

This kind of looks like some nvram overloaded, static charge issues described here. Some have had login credential issues after rolling back to .18 due to login being encrypted after an update to .19.

I can't see it being an electrical problem because my AC86U is on a good ups with AVR and the NVRAM is only half full.

Thanks

@xdj

Hi, what exactly have you done by "just a reset to get back into the router" instead of having done a hard reset since you were initially unable to login back again (Now I can't get into my router!!! States password or username is incorrect.............. But it's not!!!!!).
There is a reset button on the back/bottom of the device, depending on the orientation of your router.
Read here for reset: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000925/
From here I was able to install the latest firmware and followed Merlin's instructions for wiping the JFFS partition and so on...
I hope I was able to answer your question.

Cheers,

X

I can't see it being an electrical problem because my AC86U is on a good ups with AVR and the NVRAM is only half full.

Thanks
Do a factory reset with the WPS button. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
Create a new network, set the SSID and passphrase, user ID and password, finish and let the router cruise for a couple of minutes. Checkto insure /jffs is mounted. If not reboot the router and check /jffs again. If the /jffs is not mounted in Admin/System set to format jffs at next boot then reboot. When /jffs is mounted, set fixed WIFI channels, and finish configuring manually. DO NOT USE A SAVED CONFIG FILE!!!

It's not advisable to use a saved config from one firmware version with a different firmware version.
I've never heard that before, huh.
I've done it before without any issues but that's something to consider, thanks for the tip.

X

Anyone experiencing issues updating Entware packages?
screenshot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.