What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available for all supported models, except for the RT-AC87U (as Asus hasn't released up-to-date source code for that model). The focus of this release was the update to the latest GPL code available. The highlights:

• Updated GPL to 384_21045(with 382_50624 binary components for the RT-AC56U and RT-AC3200).
  • Added option to enable DNS rebind protection, available on the DHCP page.
  • Updated dnsmasq to 2.80test2-17-g51e4eee, nano to 2.98 and curl to 7.60.0.
  • Added AES-*-GCM ciphers to the OpenVPN legacy cipher list.
  • Added support for the -p switch to netstat. This has been integrated into the Network Tools page, so now netstat will also report which process is currently tied to a specific port/socket.
  • WTFast support was removed from the RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300, as the precompiled components are incompatible with modern versions of curl (wtfast would crash at start on these models). Only Asus/WTFast can fix this.
  • When enabled, DNSSEC validation is now enforced on DNS replies (due to a change in dnsmasq's behaviour). If you are no longer able to do do name resolution on various domains while DNSSEC is enabled, it means your upstream DNS servers do not support DNSSEC. You should either disable it, or switch to DNSSEC compatible servers.
Please view the changelog for the complete list of changes.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thank you sir...will update my AC86U up from your last beta later tonight!;)

Test builds with OpenVPN available

OpenVPN implementation in your custom firmware is hands-down the best avail today...the 6 years of work you have put into your builds is actually outstanding IMHO!:)

Last edited:
Both my AC3100 and AC68U up and running the new 384.6 no problems with both flashes.

Just updated my AC-3200 from 384.3 and the wireless and everything else seems to be running butter smooth! (I had some wireless issues on 384.4 builds and was hesitant to upgrade recently)

Upgraded over the beta and all is well thus far. Thank you, Eric!

was there any changes between the beta & this build?
Please read the first post. At the bottom there is a link to the change log.

So I upgraded from 384.5 to 384.6 on my 88U. The first thing I see after logging into the UI after updating is a privacy notice for ASUS and Microtrend.

I chose to not allow either. I would have assumed that the option to consent would show up on the privacy page, but it’s not. All that shows up is

Please note that users are required to agree to share information before using DDNS, Remote Connection (ASUS Router APP、Lyra APP、AiCloud、AiDisk), AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost/Game IPS and Web history. At any time, users can search for the contents of the terms at this page or stop sharing the information with other parties by choosing Withdraw.

What if I change my mind and want to use any of the above? How can I enable consent for ASUS and/or Microtrend?

On a side note, as far as I can tell DDNS still works (I’m using dyndns) as does the traffic analyzer despite not accepting the privacy notice. Is that to be expected?

So I upgraded from 384.5 to 384.6 on my 88U. The first thing I see after logging into the UI after updating is a privacy notice for ASUS and Microtrend.

I chose to not allow either. I would have assumed that the option to consent would show up on the privacy page, but it’s not. All that shows up is

What if I change my mind and want to use any of the above? How can I enable consent for ASUS and/or Microtrend?

On a side note, as far as I can tell DDNS still works (I’m using dyndns) as does the traffic analyzer despite not accepting the privacy notice. Is that to be expected?
I would guess that you have not done a factory reset (initialize). I would bet you could be presented with the agreements again at that point if you did. I also believe that if you still at that point opt out then nothing TRend related will work not even what is left working now. IMHO

Thanks , improvred transfer rates between computers . Everything else seems all right , no problems yet .

Last edited:
I would guess that you have not done a factory reset (initialize). I would bet you could be presented with the agreements again at that point if you did. I also believe that if you still at that point opt out then nothing TRend related will work not even what is left working now. IMHO

I did notice the following in the logs despite not accepting either agreement:

Jul 25 20:59:17 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_EULA_FLAG_SIGNED
Jul 25 20:59:17 Mastiff: Got AAE_SIG_REMOTE_CONNECTION_TURNED_ON

I don’t know if that means they were just displayed or what. As far as I can tell remote connections are not turned on. Also right after those logs there’s a connection to ASUS to unregistered DDNS.

The firmware page no longer has the trend Microtrend signature info, so I guess it really is disabled. I’m guessing if I tried to enable something like AIProtection I would be prompted to agree again, but I don’t know. I wouldn’t think you’d have to reset the router to be able to accept the agreement after not accepting.

I checked the DDNS page after that and got an error the first time I did so, but further times didn’t get an error. Since I’m not using ASUS DDNS, I wouldn’t expect their agreement to even apply for that.

For the traffic analyzer, I’m finding that for the first time in years it’s actually accurately logging traffic for all interfaces instead of messing things up by reporting downloaded traffic as uploaded or Wi-Fi traffic as wired. Maybe it was the TRend code that was messing that up?

I do know that I have a lot more free memory in this release (381 MB) than prior ones (330 MB), so maybe that was all being used by TRend?

On a completely unrelated note, I see the following in the logs which looks wrong. I don’t know what lldpd is though or what it does.

May 5 01:05:10 lldpd[507]: minimal kernel version required is 2.6.39, got 2.6.36.4brcmarm
May 5 01:05:10 lldpd[507]: lldpd may be unable to detect bonds and bridges correctly
May 5 01:05:10 lldpd[507]: consider recompiling with --enable-oldies option
May 5 01:05:11 lldpd[513]: cannot get ethtool link information with GLINKSETTINGS (requires 4.9+): Operation not permitted
May 5 01:05:11 lldpd[513]: cannot get ethtool link information with GSET (requires 2.6.19+): Operation not permitted

lldpd is mostly used for AiMesh.

Updated my RT-AC86U and works great. Thank you Eric!

As a test I withdrew DDNS consent. Browsing to the DDNS page and trying to reenable the client brought up the agreement to once again consent.

As a test I withdrew DDNS consent. Browsing to the DDNS page and trying to reenable the client brought up the agreement to once again consent.

Thanks. I’m guessing that’s the ASUS agreement?

I actually denied both an ASUS agreement and a Trend Micro agreement (2 separate pop ups). I guess the former is for the ASUS DDNS and Cloud stuff and the later is for AIProtection and QoS.

I’m guessing the text about being needed for the traffic analyzer is just wrong or maybe it’s only for the second page.

Out of curiosity, why pick ASUS DDNS over one of the other ones?

btw im going to extend my network using aimesh, atm i have ac86u with merlin f/w, and plan on the aimesh router using ac68u with merlin f/w is it possible?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!