What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adding the 'uninstall' option will bring it one step closer to amtm integration sooner. But for a version '0.0.2', this is a solid first release. :)

hm still thinking if I am using the right overhead param. I am using now ether-vlan.
my connection is done via optical cable and @home I have converter and splitter to ethernet and IPTV.

what do you think, is it correct overhead for my connection?

hm still thinking if I am using the right overhead param. I am using now ether-vlan.
my connection is done via optical cable and @home I have converter and splitter to ethernet and IPTV.

what do you think, is it correct overhead for my connection?

1. Test your results with no QoS enabled - dslreports speedtest
2. Try and test without any additional parameters (just up/down speeds) - dslreports speedtest
3. Start tweaking additional (if required), meaning if you are getting straight A's with no additional parameters then I think you are fine. IF you need to go this route, I mentioned in the previous post to match what Adaptive would use (absent of anything)...

upload_2020-6-20_15-57-46.png

That would give you the ATM as I don't know which "bucket" your connection type falls under at this point. Hope that helps...

As you mentioned the simpler/better documented ones are DOCSIS, PPOE etc....

I am very curious as to what setting (if any) works best for you.

Adding the 'uninstall' option will bring it one step closer to amtm integration sooner. But for a version '0.0.2', this is a solid first release. :)
unfortunately i think the very limited model support might be an unsurmountable barrier, but who knows!

Installed as specified onto a AX88U and getting this as output when entering up and down speed plus overhead.
Code:
 /jffs/scripts/cake-qos enable
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache HW acceleration <DISABLED>
CPU Speed (*) ==> Disable
Changing power settings. Forcing cpu to max frequency.
   Set cpuspeed to on(pwr config --cpuspeed on) to make it adaptive again
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows
/jffs/scripts/cake-qos: line 162: /opt/sbin/tc: not found
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
System log looks like this:
Code:
Jun 20 14:37:56 RT-AX88U-9D28 myusername: Cake Queue Management Enabled - settings: 40Mbit | 10Mbit | 4
Jun 20 14:37:56 RT-AX88U-9D28 myusername: Cake Queue Management Starting - settings: 40Mbit | 10Mbit | 4

Also this is the install note:
Code:
 /jffs/scripts/cake-qos install ax88u
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 16420  100 16420    0     0  50214      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 54370
100  180k  100  180k    0     0   428k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  454k
Package sched-cake-oot (2020-05-28-a5dccfd8-ax) installed in root is up to date.
Installing tc-adv (4.16.0-git-20191110) to root...
Installing libnl-tiny (2019-10-29-0219008c-1) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/libnl-tiny_2019-10-29-0219008c-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Package size mismatch: libnl-tiny is 18666 bytes, expecting 18679 bytes
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package tc-adv.

Also this is the install note:
Code:
 /jffs/scripts/cake-qos install ax88u
100 16420  100 16420    0     0  50214      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 54370
100  180k  100  180k    0     0   428k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  454k
Package sched-cake-oot (2020-05-28-a5dccfd8-ax) installed in root is up to date.
Installing tc-adv (4.16.0-git-20191110) to root...
Installing libnl-tiny (2019-10-29-0219008c-1) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/libnl-tiny_2019-10-29-0219008c-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Package size mismatch: libnl-tiny is 18666 bytes, expecting 18679 bytes
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package tc-adv.

Looks like your issue is right here. tc-adv package isn't installing for some reason (see size mismatch), and thus it can't run. You can disable it for now and work on why and how you can get the tc-adv package installed error free.....

Once you get pass that, it will run correctly.

Update Entware packages as per OP below

Last edited:
Okay I updated and upgraded entware and all is good on my AX88U it works really nice!

How to add overhead on this line if it's value is 4
Code:
/jffs/scripts/cake-qos enable 37.5Mbit 9.5Mbit "4"
This doesn't work.

unfortunately i think the very limited model support might be an unsurmountable barrier, but who knows!

Limited model support at the moment, but moving forward, cake could be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question:

your github prereqs say "Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher".

Do you mean if EITHER the upload or download is 250+, you don't recommend this script? Or are you referring to symmetric connections (both upload and download are the same; i.e. 250mbps / 250mbps)

Also, you may want to specify which versions of the Asuswrt-Merlin firmwares have been tested with this script.

I am curious on speedtests/bufferbloat tests if you enable/start at your Teksavvy linespeed. I haven't been using any % for a couple days now and running smooth A+s across the board.

I am curious on speedtests/bufferbloat tests if you enable/start at your Teksavvy linespeed. I haven't been using any % for a couple days now and running smooth A+s across the board.
Same here A+ across the board.

Can anyone post screenshots of their connmon and Speedtest graphs showing before and after cake install/config?

All I can say is wow! Does this ever work well on the AX88U. Jeez makes the stock version of QOS obsolete! Great work @ttgapers !!

Can anyone post screenshots of their connmon and Speedtest graphs showing before and after cake install/config?

Here is mine, I don't use spdMerlin, just care about line quality:
upload_2020-6-20_18-27-33.png

Been using Cake for about 7 days now toying around. I consider it stable last few days. Prior to that was running FreshJR/Dave's latest updates for about a week, and prior to that the original FreshJR without Dave's bugfixes/enhancements.

At the end:
- No Trend - better privacy posture
- Works with Suricata
- Simply works - little to no config required

At the end:
- No Trend - better privacy posture
- Works with Suricata
- Simply works - little to no config required

Privacy is increasingly important to me, and I’m keeping an eye on Suricata (last I checked, it wasn’t quite ready for mainstream use), and the ease of getting it going makes is a huge plus for people who generally don’t have the confidence or patience to config/troubleshoot.

It looks like your ping spikes have calmed down in a significant way; gamers on cable will appreciate cake.

Privacy is increasingly important to me, and I’m keeping an eye on Suricata (last I checked, it wasn’t quite ready for mainstream use), and the ease of getting it going makes is a huge plus for people who generally don’t have the confidence or patience to config/troubleshoot.

It looks like your ping spikes have calmed down in a significant way; gamers on cable will appreciate cake.

I just installed on another router that has a bad graph over the last 7 days. It will be interesting to see how it looks over the next few days. Keep me honest @heysoundude