What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you all very much. That’s what I wanted. In my haste I made a few silly typos.

Now I know how to invoke the meme, I’m ‘good to go’.

Please, also enter for unlimited
Code:
if [ "${dlspeed}" = "auto" ] || [ "${upspeed}" = "auto" ]; then
        extraoptions="unlimited $extraoptions"
    fi
Would it be better to set unlimited if 0 is input, and autorate-ingress if auto is entered?

It would also allow different options for upload and download

Wow. Very pleased.

Now I have found the menu, I reset and played with a few ‘options’.

I have found that adding dual-srchost to the already chosen docsis and ack-filter, I have got my loaded reading form pre-cake 36ms to 15ms. Unloaded remains pretty much the same.

Thanks.

Would it be better to set unlimited if 0 is input, and autorate-ingress if auto is entered?

It would also allow different options for upload and download
i think that makes it less general-user friendly ("0" for unlimited vs explicit option).
and it is nice to still see initial estimates for UP/DW in the menu, even if unlimited is chosen

Locally, the ‘NBN’ sits between most customers & their ISP’s.
The NBN does the ‘last mile’ of most connections. The ISP infrastructure can be A1, but the NBN has to be gone through first.:confused:

It’s just the local situation we have to work with.

Good old NBN.

I was reading up on the infrastructure for another purpose and the Government really messed that up. Instead of spending that 51 billion on running Fiber to every residence, they gave you a mix of HFC,FTTP,FTTN,FTTC,FTTB.

With FTTP = FTTH the rest are DSL connections and one Coaxial one.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc

@maghuro autorate-ingress worked well for me, to tame my UL line that oscillates from 3Mbps to 20Mbps on a work day.
i did get latency spikes at the beginning of a UL transfer burst but it was controlled after a few moments. and it was better tradeoff than setting my UL limit to a very low 4Mbps.
this being said, i am now trying "unlimited" instead, but i won't know how it performs until Monday and people at home start dialing into work
I know autoingress worked well for you :)

I just want you to try if this commit implements autoingress well!

Please, also enter for unlimited
Code:
        extraoptions="unlimited $extraoptions"
    fi
So for an auto bandwidth management, we have to use unlimited instead of auto-ingress?

Both.
Code:
        extraoptions="autorate-ingress unlimited $extraoptions"
    fi
As I can't send you PM, send me your WhatsApp

I know autoingress worked well for you :)

I just want you to try if this commit implements autoingress well!
which commit? how do i get it?

Last edited:
@Adamm @jackiechun @maghuro

can a way to manually add extra options, individually for download\upload be added to the menu please?

also how about a preset be added for different connection types e.g docsis, pppoe-ptm etc that adds recommended extra options depending on connection chosen?

Last edited:
Both.
Code:
        extraoptions="autorate-ingress unlimited $extraoptions"
    fi
I'm not sure it's that straight forward for all use cases.

CAKE uses a deficit-mode shaper, which does not exhibit the initial
burst typical of token-bucket shapers. It will automatically burst
precisely as much as required to maintain the configured throughput.
As such, it is very straightforward to configure.

unlimited (default)
No limit on the bandwidth.

bandwidth RATE
Set the shaper bandwidth. See tc(8) or examples below for
details of the RATE value.

autorate-ingress
Automatic capacity estimation based on traffic arriving at this
qdisc. This is most likely to be useful with cellular links, which
tend to change quality randomly. A bandwidth parameter can be used
in conjunction to specify an initial estimate. The shaper will
periodically be set to a bandwidth slightly below the estimated rate.
This estimator cannot estimate the bandwidth of links downstream of
itself.

To me it appears that there are a number of permutations:
  • unlimited which will not try adapt to the link speed
  • autorate-ingress with unlimited (or just unspecified) bandwidth which will try to estimate the bandwidth values
  • autorate-ingress with specified bandwidth set which uses the bandwidth value as a starting point before dynamically adjusting

I updated and rebooted and changed my settings to besteffort and I get this error after rebooting again. One more reboot cleared it up.
Code:
Jun 27 14:17:08 RT-AX88U-9D28 CakeQOS-Merlin: Starting - ( 36Mbit | 9Mbit | besteffort | ether-vlan ack-filter )
Jun 27 14:17:08 RT-AX88U-9D28 kernel: [0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] pktrunner_wlan_mcast_delete,391: Could not rdpa_wlan_mcast_fwd_table_get[0m
Jun 27 14:17:08 RT-AX88U-9D28 kernel: [0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerMcast_deactivate,724: WLAN: Could not pktrunner_wlan_mcast_delete, ret = -8[0m
Jun 27 14:17:08 RT-AX88U-9D28 kernel: [0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] pktrunner_wlan_mcast_delete,391: Could not rdpa_wlan_mcast_fwd_table_get[0m
Jun 27 14:17:08 RT-AX88U-9D28 kernel: [0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerMcast_deactivate,724: WLAN: Could not pktrunner_wlan_mcast_delete, ret = -8[0m
J

Good old NBN.

I was reading up on the infrastructure for another purpose and the Government really messed that up. Instead of spending that 51 billion on running Fiber to every residence, they gave you a mix of HFC,FTTP,FTTN,FTTC,FTTB.

With FTTP = FTTH the rest are DSL connections and one Coaxial one.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc

Yup, some earlier roll out areas (Including me - woo hoo!) were fortunate enough to get the originally intended fibre.
Once the politicians got involved it became an ever increasing mismatch of obsolete tech & cobbled together compromises.
Very much a case of “we didn’t need the Internet in 1950, why do we need it now?” :mad::confused:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!