What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is awesome! Thank you for the work on this project. Stoked to not have to enable the TM data push to get QOS.

AC-86u installed today, no issues.
How exactly TM pushes data when enabling Adoptive QoS. Proof please.

This is awesome! Thank you for the work on this project. Stoked to not have to enable the TM data push to get QOS.

AC-86u installed today, no issues.

I know all the opinions on the TM stuff. I really don’t care if TM “phones home”. My reason for running cake instead of the built in QoS is I want IPv6 enabled. I can’t run my isp modem in bridge mode and the only IPv6 settings that work for me is passthrough mode and with Asus or Flex/Fresh qos I get spammed with buggy errors in my syslog. I have no errors running cake so I decided to turn off all of the TM stuff.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039637/

By using AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history, you agree to the Trend Micro End User License Agreement.

Please note that your information will be collected by Trend Micro through AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS and web history. You also acknowledge and agree that ASUS is not responsible for neither the agreement between you and Trend Micro nor any content of the service provided by Trend Micro. If you may have any inquires about how Trend Micro collects, processes and uses your above information, please refer to the privacy- related statement issued by Trend Micro or contact Trend Micro for more details.

:mad:

Please note that your information will be collected by Trend Micro through AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS and web history. You also acknowledge and agree that ASUS is not responsible for neither the agreement between you and Trend Micro nor any content of the service provided by Trend Micro. If you may have any inquires about how Trend Micro collects, processes and uses your above information, please refer to the privacy- related statement issued by Trend Micro or contact Trend Micro for more details.

You are being watched. Private and state-sponsored organizations are monitoring and recording your online activities. https://www.privacytools.io/

Open source software
CakeQOS+Suricata

I’ve been tinkering with % of bandwidth to dial in speed tests on “best” setting. So far I’ve found that 90% yields the best result on download, and 95% on upload.

impressed that even with Flow Cache/Runner disabled, I’m getting great speeds.

I have a 500/18 connection (cable). End up getting ~380/15 with my current settings.

This might of been asked before, but why isn't cake available for all Asus routers? If the ax88u works, why not the ax58u?

This might of been asked before, but why isn't cake available for all Asus routers? If the ax88u works, why not the ax58u?

Its requires Linux kernel 4.xxx

The older routers are using an older version.

as for that specific model i'm not sure.

@Adamm @jackiechun @maghuro

can a way to manually add extra options, individually for download\upload be added to the menu please?

also how about a preset be added for different connection types e.g docsis, pppoe-ptm etc that adds recommended extra options depending on connection chosen?

Hi,

I don't want to lose track of these items. Can I ask that you add it to Github issues? That way someone can look at it and we can make a decision.

https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/issues

Its requires Linux kernel 4.xxx

The older routers are using an older version.

as for that specific model i'm not sure.

@Jgee - thanks, mentioned in earlier posts, but we have a need for devs to build the ipks for the remaining 2 models capable of running Cake.... @rgnldo want to take a try? :p

Anyone else get them built and we will be more than happy to support the additional models.

@rgnldo and @jackiechun noted links to this earlier in this thread.

Asus Router Privacy: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039637/

Snippet
===
For AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history:

By using AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history, you agree to the Trend Micro End User License Agreement.

===

Interesting it's between you and Trend Micro, so Asus is staying away from what ever Trend does with your data.

Not sure what other proof you would like, unless I misread your question.

Attached a screenshot of my settings.

I checked the router while Steam downloaded my fav game, YouTube and Netflix are running in the household, plus some other download, web, and app activities.

Router CPU load was between 60-100%

Download rate pretty much constant at 24MByte/s. Impressive constant.

None of the services nor other activities stuck. Pings are still low, like no traffic at all.

Honestly, it's a long time ago I had this kind of smooth experience here at Bali, where networks don't have Singaporean network quality at all.

Thanks to all devs & contributors

Great job!

0b0d7754de851038cdc6da81bc4c2451.jpg

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Asus RT-AC86U & Merlin 384.17

Last edited:
@rgnldo and @jackiechun noted links to this earlier in this thread.

Asus Router Privacy: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039637/

Snippet
===
For AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history:

===

Interesting it's between you and Trend Micro, so Asus is staying away from what ever Trend does with your data.

Not sure what other proof you would like, unless I misread your question.

It is excited to know that you think open source. ;)

can a way to manually add extra options, individually for download\upload be added to the menu please?

Is there a real world example you can list where this type of functionality would be useful?

also how about a preset be added for different connection types e.g docsis, pppoe-ptm etc that adds recommended extra options depending on connection chosen?

I feel like that's a rabbit hole best saved for a readme/man page. There are just too many different combinations of possible options.

Is there a real world example you can list where this type of functionality would be useful?

In my particular case, which have an LTE 40/10 connection, it'd be useful.
For defining a fixed bandwidth on download, but to have for example autorate-ingress on upload, which is very floating. My upload floats very much between 1 and 10 mbit.
As for download, it's always on 35 more or less.

Please, also enter for unlimited
Code:
if [ "${dlspeed}" = "auto" ] || [ "${upspeed}" = "auto" ]; then
        extraoptions="unlimited $extraoptions"
    fi
I've been testing (as I remembered reading the information somewhere) and all that is needed is to change the validation for the bandwidth values so that they accept 0 (zero) - this is taken by cake as unlimited.

I manually edited my cake-qos.cfg to the following
Code:
##############################################
## Generated By Cake - Do Not Manually Edit ##
## Jun 27 11:47:36                          ##

## Installer ##
dlspeed="0"
upspeed="0"
queueprio="diffserv4"
extraoptions="bridged-ptm ack-filter"

And the result is:

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: Running...
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8010: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 800f: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

I've been testing (as I remembered reading the information somewhere) and all that is needed is to change the validation for the bandwidth values so that they accept 0 (zero) - this is taken by cake as unlimited.

I manually edited my cake-qos.cfg to the following
Code:
## Generated By Cake - Do Not Manually Edit ##
## Jun 27 11:47:36                          ##

## Installer ##
dlspeed="0"
upspeed="0"
queueprio="diffserv4"
extraoptions="bridged-ptm ack-filter"

And the result is:

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: Running...
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8010: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce
CakeQOS-Merlin - v1.0.0: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 800f: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms ptm overhead 22 no-sce

i got the same effect without having to set speeds to zero:

Code:
dlspeed="550"
upspeed="15"
queueprio="diffserv4"
extraoptions="docsis unlimited dual-srchost ack-filter"

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 801a: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat wash ingress ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce
CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8019: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 dual-srchost nat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 18 mpu 64 no-sce