What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. Since it is a quiet challenge for me as a newbie, sorry of the coming details :). I'm not sure if I got this right but I have added [ethernet(38) ether-vlan(4) ether-vlan(4)] total of 46 for both dl/ul. The 38 value from the instruction provided since I have my 86u connected by ethernet to ISP router. The remaining 8 for PPPoE. Still not clear if MTU and MRU values will have an effect since they're already set to 1492. Should I add additional 4 bytes overhead since I'm using IPTV under LAN with VID internet number of my ISP added there (if it is considered Vlan)?

Thanks. Since it is a quiet challenge for me as a newbie, sorry of the coming details :). I'm not sure if I got this right but I have added [ethernet(38) ether-vlan(4) ether-vlan(4)] total of 46 for both dl/ul. The 38 value from the instruction provided since I have my 86u connected by ethernet to ISP router. The remaining 8 for PPPoE. Still not clear if MTU and MRU values will have an effect since they're already set to 1492. Should I add additional 4 bytes overhead since I'm using IPTV under LAN with VID internet number of my ISP added there (if it is considered Vlan)?

Hi,

Just to clarify you should be using for example using:

Upload Extra: ethernet
Download Extra: ethernet

No need for the numbers in brackets as Cake applies the ATM automagically. Once you do the Cake status you should see the correct overhead added. I haven't used multiple framing compensation so I 'd try one setting for both, do your tests and proceed.

It's important when testing to change one variable at a time. Cake is known for the KISS protocol. Let's get the right extras if any using besteffort, get your bloat down to an acceptable level, and then see if there are additional tweaks reqd.

Feel free to post your existing settings so we can be clear what you "have" actually configured.

Better link than the one I provided earlier: https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS

Hi,

Just to clarify you should be using for example using:

Upload Extra: ethernet
Download Extra: ethernet

No need for the numbers in brackets as Cake applies the ATM automagically. Once you do the Cake status you should see the correct overhead added. I haven't used multiple framing compensation so I 'd try one setting for both, do your tests and proceed.

It's important when testing to change one variable at a time. Cake is known for the KISS protocol. Let's get the right extras if any using besteffort, get your bloat down to an acceptable level, and then see if there are additional tweaks reqd.

Feel free to post your existing settings so we can be clear what you "have" actually configured.

Better link than the one I provided earlier: https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS
Thank you for the clarification. Acutally I didn't put the numbers in parentheses just thought I add them to see how I got the number 46.

Currently my settings looks as below.
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 4.55.35 AM.png

Impressive thread! And thanks for making this usable in a very simple way.
I use Cake on an 86U with Cable ISP 100/10MBit, and it works perfect since installation. KISS-principle convinced me completely.
On a different location I plan to invest in a second 86U. But this router will be attached via LAN to the ISP router, because I don't want to touch the integrated IP/ISDN telephone functionality of the ISP router. So all clients will connect to the 86U.
So the setup will be: DSL 12MBit/2Mbit -> ISP Router -> 86U
My question now are:
1. Can Cake work properly on the 86U in this setup (behind ISP router)
2. What to specify in the options for up-/download: ethernet, pppoe?

@brummygit thanks for the response! I'll test those speeds with my setup.

As far as "docsis" being used...im using due to having a cable ISP (comcast). Any other recommendations I can try under the extra options?
Assuming that you have a cable modem or router in modem mode behind the ASUS then yes, DOCSIS is correct. If it’s a router I think you should also test Ethernet.

Otherwise I’m running the same extra settings as you.

Last edited:
My question now are:
1. Can Cake work properly on the 86U in this setup (behind ISP router)
2. What to specify in the options for up-/download: ethernet, pppoe?
Yes it can (and this is how I run) but you need to remember that cake is designed to manage the pinch-point which is usually your router connection to the internet.

In this scenario the Asus router probably has 1Gbps up to the ISP router which is the current pinch-point and where the bufferbloat will be generated. To fix this we need to specify the Upload and Download speeds with enough margin (start at actual-10%) that the ISP router never maxes out the connection but instead cake is shaping the traffic to its lower limit.

I’m still undecided on overhead settings but am still trying to compare Ethernet vs pppoe-ptm for my connection.

Assuming that you have a cable modem or router in modem mode behind the ASUS then yes, DOCSIS is correct. If it’s a router I think you should also test Ethernet.

Otherwise I’m running the same extra settings as you.
Thanks for the response. Yes I do have a cable modem (CM1150V) behind my Asus router! Appreciate the info!

So CakeQOS does seem to improve my latency after all!

Without CakeQOS:
Code:
 Download: 244.14 Mbps
  Latency: (in msec, 59 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
      Min: 7.666
    10pct: 10.653
   Median: 22.835
      Avg: 67.547
    90pct: 240.734
      Max: 248.053
   Upload: 25.43 Mbps
  Latency: (in msec, 59 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
      Min: 8.453
    10pct: 23.154
   Median: 32.368
      Avg: 31.307
    90pct: 35.969
      Max: 37.449

With CakeQOS:
Code:
Download: 202.32 Mbps
  Latency: (in msec, 60 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
      Min: 8.565
    10pct: 8.861
   Median: 10.263
      Avg: 10.600
    90pct: 12.531
      Max: 14.997
   Upload: 20.56 Mbps
  Latency: (in msec, 60 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
      Min: 10.174
    10pct: 11.276
   Median: 12.804
      Avg: 13.319
    90pct: 16.255
      Max: 18.946

Using these settings:
Code:
[1]  --> Download Speed             | [225 Mbit]
[2]  --> Upload Speed               | [22 Mbit]
[3]  --> Queue Priority             | [besteffort]
[4]  --> Extra Download Options     | [docsis ack-filter]
[5]  --> Extra Upload Options       | [docsis ack-filter]

Now I need to figure out whether it's worth giving up bandwidth for better latency...

I'm in the same boat...latency has improved drastically in my environment!

Cake is definitely a set & forget option. I think for some people this might be too hard to live with as we must keep messing with our setups (me included) and can't let go of the "messing around" with the internet/QoS settings! My wife keeps asking me whats wrong with it now since she's been using Wi-FI without issues the last 72 hours haha!! I been messing around with the different "cake settings" but outside from that, Cake simply "just works".

I'm really impressed with the simplicity of it! I have alot wireless devices to include 2 gaming devices that work without any latency while gaming! Thanks to everyone here for allowing us to have options!!! This is what makes the difference! With all this said, I'm tempted to use FlexQoS. Give me a week or 2 and I'll tell my wife there's an update available... haha!

Thanks for testing!

For a complete uninstall:

/jffs/scripts/cake-qos disable (this will also remove the firewall-start, services-stop entries)

Then:

opkg remove sched-cake-oot
opkg remove tc-adv
rm /jffs/scripts/cake-qos
I might try this CakeQoS on my RT-AC86U, but as a noob to this version of QoS, I don't understand the answer as to how I would completely remove it. Can anyone explain in very simple step-by-step terms please and would I use WinSCP or xShell?

So far, I am very happy with Cake. My 50/5 connection really benefit from using it.

A4617DD7-ED67-4E48-8BC0-0C4C1093DF75.jpeg
3B70CB39-1D4E-454F-9615-310137D6EF1C.jpeg

Do you have comcast?

No, it is a local utility company that provides electric, water, cable tv and cable internet service. Very nice people, I just wish they provided higher bandwidth.

I'm just about to raise an Issue on Git - cakeQoS doesn't survive a manual Trend Micro signature update check run from the gui. From something I read on the FlexQoS thread, this will also be an issue in the event of an automatic signature update being applied.

Running Cake on an 86u with the latest 384.18, Diversion, YazFi and an OpenVPN client via PIA. Seems to work quite well, but my syslog is flooded with these errors :

Jul 16 15:29:49 ovpn-client1[4652]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #18383015 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

Uninstalling Cake cleans up the openvpn errors. Does anyone have similar issues?

I'm just about to raise an Issue on Git - cakeQoS doesn't survive a manual Trend Micro signature update check run from the gui. From something I read on the FlexQoS thread, this will also be an issue in the event of an automatic signature update being applied.

Can't reproduce this on my end.

silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

Have you considered reading the error and following the instructions :p This is completely unrelated to cake.

I just tried a manual Trend signature update here, killed cake.
Manual restart of cake required.:confused:

[Edit] just repeated, yup, kills Cake.

I just tried a manual Trend signature update here, killed cake.
Manual restart of cake required.:confused:

Do we have different definitions of manual trend signature update? I check for updates in the WebUI on my AX88U;

Code:
2.186  Updated : 2020/07/10 02:00
Signature is up to date

Then I check cakes status;

Code:
skynet@RT-AX88U-DC28:/tmp/home/root# cake-qos

#########################################################
##               _                                     ##
##              | |                                    ##
##    ___  __ _ | | __ ___          __ _   ___   ___   ##
##   / __|/ _` || |/ // _ \ ______ / _` | / _ \ / __|  ##
##  | (__ |(_| ||   <|  __/|______| (_| || (_) |\__ \  ##
##   \___|\__,_||_|\_\\___|        \__, | \___/ |___/  ##
##                                    | |              ##
##                                    |_|              ##
##                                                     ##
##      https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin     ##
##                        v1.0.2                       ##

Select an option
[1]  --> Start cake
[2]  --> Stop cake
[3]  --> Check cake status
[4]  --> Change cake settings

[5]  --> Update CakeQOS-Merlin
[6]  --> Install CakeQOS-Merlin
[7]  --> Uninstall CakeQOS-Merlin

[e]  --> Exit

[1-7]: 3

Select Status Option:
[1]  --> Download Status
[2]  --> Upload Status
[3]  --> General Status

[1-3]: 3

[$] /opt/bin/cake-qos status general

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8005: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 92Mbit diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 38 mpu 84 no-sce

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8004: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 37Mbit diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 38 mpu 84 no-sce

[*] Press Enter To Continue...

Do we have different definitions of manual trend signature update? I check for updates in the WebUI on my AX88U;

Code:
2.186  Updated : 2020/07/10 02:00
Signature is up to date

Then I check cakes status;

Code:
skynet@RT-AX88U-DC28:/tmp/home/root# cake-qos

##               _                                     ##
##              | |                                    ##
##    ___  __ _ | | __ ___          __ _   ___   ___   ##
##   / __|/ _` || |/ // _ \ ______ / _` | / _ \ / __|  ##
##  | (__ |(_| ||   <|  __/|______| (_| || (_) |\__ \  ##
##   \___|\__,_||_|\_\\___|        \__, | \___/ |___/  ##
##                                    | |              ##
##                                    |_|              ##
##      https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin     ##
##                        v1.0.2                       ##

Select an option
[1]  --> Start cake
[2]  --> Stop cake
[3]  --> Check cake status
[4]  --> Change cake settings

[5]  --> Update CakeQOS-Merlin
[6]  --> Install CakeQOS-Merlin
[7]  --> Uninstall CakeQOS-Merlin

[e]  --> Exit

[1-7]: 3

Select Status Option:
[1]  --> Download Status
[2]  --> Upload Status
[3]  --> General Status

[1-3]: 3

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Download Status:
qdisc cake 8005: dev ifb9eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 92Mbit diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash ingress no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 38 mpu 84 no-sce

CakeQOS-Merlin: > Upload Status:
qdisc cake 8004: dev eth0 root refcnt 2 bandwidth 37Mbit diffserv4 triple-isolate nat nowash no-ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms noatm overhead 38 mpu 84 no-sce

My signature update details are identical to yours.

Result:

CakeQOS-Merlin: Not running...