What's new

CakeQOS CakeQOS-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firstly, thank you to ttgapers everyone else who has built this. I have finally gotten around to installing and given that I already had good ping & jitter results (DSLReports AAA) I was surprised and very please that these are now A+A+A+.

In case this is of help to anyone I have noted my setup and what has worked best - using the betterspeedtest.sh script to test.

I have an FTTC connection (VDSL2) where the speeds are capped by the ISP at 80/20 (max speed according to the modem are 96/25)
Before starting and testing with minimal traffic I was getting
Code:
Latency: (in msec, 61 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
    Min: 5.697
  10pct: 7.540
Median: 11.673
    Avg: 11.945
  90pct: 15.455
    Max: 23.222
    Min: 5.562
  10pct: 19.184
Median: 25.683
    Avg: 25.419
  90pct: 31.732
    Max: 33.907

Following the notes and looking at the Cake pages I set my speeds as 85% of notional speed / 95%of speedtest speeds (i tried various speedtests), and I ended up using 68/17 - when I have some time I will see if I can increase these without causing any issues.

I tested while running multiple bittorrent uploads and downloads through a VPN on the router and multiple YouTube videos on another machine (no VPN).

I then tried addding
ack-filter - better,
ptm & pppoe-ptm - also better but neither better than the other
dual-scrhost on uploads - worse
dual-dsthost on downloads - worse
diffserv4: no perceptible difference
metro - much better (as I am in a large city I though this would be worth trying)

Despite running the post installation tests under load the figures were noticeably improved.

Code:
      Min: 5.702
    10pct: 5.867
   Median: 6.648
      Avg: 6.687
    90pct: 7.404
      Max: 8.881
      Min: 5.430
    10pct: 5.798
   Median: 6.642
      Avg: 6.733
    90pct: 7.611
      Max: 9.091

All of the above - very satisfactory.

The trade off is the reduction in speed - as noted above, my line speed is 80/20 and tested speed without cake (again using betterspeedtest.sh) is 74.3/18.6). Losing the hardware acceleration means with cake enabled the speed drops to 52.0/13.7, a nearly 30% drop in both directions.

Last edited:
@ttgapers @Adamm I have been noticing on router reboot cake isn't being run

My 2c - I have just tried hard and soft reboots - cake restarted on each. Did it restart before you moved to 384.19?

router rebooted as part of the upgrade

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has helped create this, I used to use it on Openwrt with a netgear router but it wasn’t very stable so I ended up with the AC86U which has been great.

My question, I am using dual-scrhost and dual-dsthost but I still find things like steam downloads can still overwhelm my connection and cause buffering to other devices. I can obviously throttle steam but I just wondered why?

Seldom have I just been able to ‘set and forget’ a script/application, I have found the Cake is the exception. I set it up weeks ago and checked the results before and after. Fantastic. I don’t need any stat to tell me my browsing etc is snappier, although they do!
Thank you to all involved.

I read here some folks had issues were cake would not start after a router reboot. Is there a simple way to test if cake is running at all without ssh into the router?

Using firmware 384.17. Ran amtm for the first time. Seemed to be setup. Tried installing the cake script and it said Entware wasn't ready and was waiting 10 seconds. Did that 10 times then did the config prompts (Download speed, upload speed, etc.) but the install didn't work. I turned off Traditional QoS and still the same same. What else am I missing?

EDIT: Nm, I didn't setup Entware via amtm.. all good here.

Last edited:
I read here some folks had issues were cake would not start after a router reboot. Is there a simple way to test if cake is running at all without ssh into the router?

Look at the syslog, cake has output when starting up.

So I think it's setup correctly but when I type a command e.g. 'cake-qos status' it returns, Command Not Recognized, Please Try Again. Its the same way when I type any of the commands listed on the git-hub page:
Code:
cake-qos {start|stop|status|settings|update|install|uninstall}

EDIT: lol ok, learning as I go. Seems I needed to get to the interface.. bare with me.. thanks

So I think it's setup correctly but when I type a command e.g. 'cake-qos status' it returns, Command Not Recognized, Please Try Again. Its the same way when I type any of the commands listed on the git-hub page:
Code:
cake-qos {start|stop|status|settings|update|install|uninstall}

EDIT: lol ok, learning as I go. Seems I needed to get to the interface.. bare with me.. thanks

That list is outdated, instead use this one;

Code:
CakeQOS-Merlin: Usage;

cake-qos start                   |  start cake-qos
cake-qos stop                    |  stop cake-qos

cake-qos status download         |  check the current download status of cake-qos
cake-qos status upload           |  check the current upload status of cake-qos
cake-qos status general          |  check the current general status of cake-qos

cake-qos settings dlspeed xxx    |  configure download speed setting for cake-qos
cake-qos settings upspeed xxx    |  configure upload speed setting for cake-qos
cake-qos settings queueprio xxx  |  configure queue priority setting for cake-qos
cake-qos settings optionsdl xxx  |  configure download options setting for cake-qos
cake-qos settings optionsup xxx  |  configure upload options setting for cake-qos

cake-qos install                 |  install and configure cake-qos
cake-qos uninstall               |  uninstall and remove all traces of cake-qos

What is, Extra Download/Upload options, and what options do i have?

Also how do I set overhead for docsis, and do I need it?

EDIT: so far I have 50/3 set to 47.5/2.85, although I was told with docsis that I didn't need a d/l limit, who knows? Using 'besteffort'. And the Extra Download/Upload Options are Unset.

Last edited:
What are the latest default parameters? According to the link diffserv3 is default but besteffort is marked as default, so I was kinda curious about all the others in the list on this page: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html
There's different examples you may try that were posted inside this thread for the extra UL/DL options. I have comcast (docsis) so I tried different recommendations provided here earlier in the thread. I ended up going to the basic setup and what I have for UL/DL extra options is:
docsis ack-filter
I feel this gives me the best performance and low latency for my environment! Play with the different setups provided here and enjoy the simple set and forget!

There's different examples you may try that were posted inside this thread for the extra UL/DL options. I have comcast (docsis) so I tried different recommendations provided here earlier in the thread. I ended up going to the basic setup and what I have for UL/DL extra options is:
docsis ack-filter
I feel this gives me the best performance and low latency for my environment! Play with the different setups provided here and enjoy the simple set and forget!

What do I use to measure low latency and performance when making adjustments? I'd like to see/understand measurable differences instead of going by feeling. I would assume a cpu usage graph would be one helpful instrument.

A while ago I was told I didn't need QoS enabled on download because the provider basically does that, and changing my cap of (95% of 50 to 47.5) to unlimited I didn't notice any incoming pl in-game, and dslreports speed test download bufferbloat didn't change, it was still very good. Extrapolating from that I'm assuming docsis is only needed on download because with upload cable/docsis would adjust the packets on their own?

I'm not even sure what ack-filter does. I've tried doing a little searching on that via google and didn't find much.

I'll look more into this thread with the UL/DL options. I've been going over and over the Linux manual page: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html to try n get a clearer understanding of things. Me I like fiddling around with stuff and tweaking things for better lower latency & better performance.

EDIT: why is the word 'a s s u m e' being saved as ashume?

Last edited:
What do I use to measure low latency and performance when making adjustments? I'd like to see/understand measurable differences instead of going by feeling. I would ashume a cpu usage graph would be one helpful instrument.

A while ago I was told I didn't need QoS enabled on download because the provider basically does that, and changing my cap of (95% of 50 to 47.5) to unlimited I didn't notice any incoming pl in-game, and dslreports speed test download bufferbloat didn't change, it was still very good. Extrapolating from that I'm ashuming docsis is only needed on download because with upload cable/docsis would adjust the packets on their own?

I'm not even sure what ack-filter does. I've tried doing a little searching on that via google and didn't find much.

I'll look more into this thread with the UL/DL options. I've been going over and over the Linux manual page: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html to try n get a clearer understanding of things. Me I like fiddling around with stuff and tweaking things for better lower latency & better performance.

EDIT: why is the word 'a s s u m e' being saved as ashume?
For me the most useful tool was the betterspeedtest.sh script found on this Tests for Bufferbloat page. I ran cake-qos in one ssh session and the betterspeedtest.sh in another and cross checked using DSL Reports, adjusted the options until it suited my setup. Once I was happy, I have let it be.

For me the most useful tool was the betterspeedtest.sh script found on this Tests for Bufferbloat page. I ran cake-qos in one ssh session and the betterspeedtest.sh in another and cross checked using DSL Reports, adjusted the options until it suited my setup. Once I was happy, I have let it be.

Is it available in entware? I'm looking at this page, https://github.com/richb-hanover/CeroWrtScripts/blob/master/betterspeedtest.sh , and I'm seeing the code, thought there might be an install script, unless I'm not seeing it? If not, how do I install & run it?

Is it available in entware? I'm looking at this page, https://github.com/richb-hanover/CeroWrtScripts/blob/master/betterspeedtest.sh , and I'm seeing the code, thought there might be an install script, unless I'm not seeing it? If not, how do I install & run it?

Follow instructions on how to install to your router:

Follow instructions on how to install to your router:

Thank you!

I copied and pasted it using putty, and ran it. Does it need to be entered like that into putty each time to run it?

Code:
 Download: 46.92 Mbps
  Latency: (in msec, 60 pings, 0.00% packet loss)
      Min: 23.087
    10pct: 32.308
   Median: 73.810
      Avg: 68.412
    90pct: 83.016
      Max: 88.689
   Upload: 2.52 Mbps
      Min: 25.647
    10pct: 26.186
   Median: 31.906
      Avg: 32.293
    90pct: 36.926
      Max: 52.659

Last edited:
Thank you!

I copied and pasted it using putty, and ran it. Does it need to be entered like that into putty each time to run it?
after installed you can run with something like:
/jffs/addons/util/betterspeedtest.sh -t 60 -H netperf-west.bufferbloat.net -p 8.8.8.8