1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Release] dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bigeyes0x0, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

It doesn't look like a big change.....if someone is willing to test it, I can try and port the kernel patches over to my LTS fork.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. dcguru

dcguru Occasional Visitor

John with an offer like that, consider me a willing volunteer!

4. john9527

Actually, it might be better to put it on Merlin (don't want any conflicts with my built in dnscrypt v1). What level Merlin are you running?

underdose likes this.
  5. dcguru

Latest at time of writing: 380.69_2

6. bigeyes0x0

bigeyes0x0 Senior Member

@john9527 I have a question for you regarding version 2 of dnscrypt-proxy. Will you try to integrate it into your firmware? I think it would be hard considering its size and difference.

@all Just updated with ability to set load balancing mode as well as ability to migrate old settings when upgrading dnscrypt-proxy.

FWIW I'm done with all the stuffs I want to do with this script for now. Have a nice holiday for Lunar New Year for anyone that has it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. underdose

underdose Occasional Visitor

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like we (MIPS owners) should wait till John or Eric integrates necessary kernel patches/additions to legacy Asuswrt-Merlin branch if they can or have a will to do so.

8. heysoundude

heysoundude Senior Member

It's a bit unrealistic to expect hardware after a certain point to still be supported/updated, and that holds more true in tech: probably wishful thinking if not an outright impossibility for the kernel to be updated on these. Asus changed to ARM for a reason; you're not websurfing on a 386-based machine, are you?

9. bigeyes0x0

bigeyes0x0 Senior Member

@all: As I have upgraded my router firmware to 384.3beta2, I was able to find the problem with DNS leaking. Fixed for good now :).

underdose likes this.
  10. underdose

underdose Occasional Visitor

I see your point and I already know Eric will drop support for legacy branch sooner or later, although I'll keep on wishful thinking because John said this:

and this:

Thanks for your contribution on the topic though.

11. heysoundude

heysoundude Senior Member

I'm with you on the wishful thinking (also an n66u owner), but I'm trying to be realistic.

12. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Won't be me, I am no longer developing for the MIPS models.

13. john9527

@dcguru

Ok....first the bad news. The CLOEXEC patches referenced in one of the dnscrypt tracker links for 2.6.23 were already applied to the MIPS kernel. This means that the problem may also require the follow on socket commits that went into 2.6.27....this is a a bigger piece of work.

But.....there was a single related commit sandwiched in between those two major sections that wasn't included in the MIPS kernel. I did a build that just picks up that commit to see if it helps.
    RT-N66U_380.69_2a-g23a21a3d8.zip
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJkEFTnFp4Sh2wvQva

Maybe we'll get lucky.

14. john9527

I've been waiting until v2 got out of beta to really take a look at it. But depending on where the MIPS issue ends up, it may be better to leave things at v1. But then it becomes an issue of how long he will maintain the v1 resolvers csv.

In any case, I'm going to need to be able to decode the sdns record. I may open up an issue to get doc on it's format.

15. DonnyJohnny

DonnyJohnny Senior Member

I don’t know if this helps.
    https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/stamps

john9527 likes this.
  16. bigeyes0x0

bigeyes0x0 Senior Member

@john9527 I read the original article Frank linked to about the issue with AC66U and Go, quite interesting. So to support your effort to backport and make it easier for people to test your patched firmware, I have added back MIPSEL support in my script for dev branch (use the correct tar this time). The command to install on dev is:
    Code:
    curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/dev/installer && sh installer dev; rm installer
    Hope it works out for everyone :).
    Tag @dcguru

john9527 likes this.
  17. john9527

18. bigeyes0x0

bigeyes0x0 Senior Member

Also there's
    Code:
    dnscrypt-proxy -list-all -json
    if you want to parse from json and dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.0 is already on the router.

19. dcguru

@john9527 thanks so much for your file and time, firmware is flashed to device this evening.

Code:
    ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U 380.69-2a-g23a21a3d8 Sun Feb 11 18:41:46 UTC 2018
    [email protected]:/tmp/home/root

Tried installing the script again from @bigeyes0x0 (it downloads mpisel this time!) but same results I'm afraid, no DNS on boot up. Trying to launch manually gives the same error.

Code:
    [email protected]:/jffs/dnscrypt# ./dnscrypt-proxy -config /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml
    [2015-08-01 00:01:13] [NOTICE] Source [https://download.dnscrypt.info/resolvers-list/v2/public-resolvers.md] loaded
    [2015-08-01 00:01:13] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.0
    [2015-08-01 00:01:13] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.0.1:65053: errno -9

For fun I also grabbed the https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscryp.../2.0.0/dnscrypt-proxy-linux_mips-2.0.0.tar.gz package just in case your patch made it work but alas same as last time :(

Code:
    [email protected]:/jffs/dnscrypt2# ./dnscrypt-proxy
    ./dnscrypt-proxy: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("

I totally understand if nothing more can be done here but obviously prepared to try any more fixes out if they come my way, I want to thank you both again for all your efforts here, so nice to see a community willing to try and fix these things.

20. bigeyes0x0

bigeyes0x0 Senior Member

@all the stable script has been updated to latest dev version, including MIPSEL (does not work for testing only) and improvement to the migration procedure. It's now able to migrate everything in the toml files including any change you made to the non global setting parts from query_logs to end of file.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    8thphloor likes this.
  21. skeal

skeal Very Senior Member

@bigeyes0x0 Thanks.....this keeps getting better and better all the time!

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!