What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks like its my router upgrade purchase will be sooner rather than later! Frank just replied to the issue I raised in my previous post, looks like the kernel is too old on the RT-N66U

admin@RT-N66U-F830:/jffs/dnscrypt#
Linux RT-N66U-F830 2.6.22.19 #1 Sun Jan 28 01:08:15 EST 2018 mips ASUSWRT-Merlin
It doesn't look like a big change.....if someone is willing to test it, I can try and port the kernel patches over to my LTS fork.

@john9527 I have a question for you regarding version 2 of dnscrypt-proxy. Will you try to integrate it into your firmware? I think it would be hard considering its size and difference.

@all Just updated with ability to set load balancing mode as well as ability to migrate old settings when upgrading dnscrypt-proxy.

FWIW I'm done with all the stuffs I want to do with this script for now. Have a nice holiday for Lunar New Year for anyone that has it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like we (MIPS owners) should wait till John or Eric integrates necessary kernel patches/additions to legacy Asuswrt-Merlin branch if they can or have a will to do so.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like we (MIPS owners) should wait till John or Eric integrates necessary kernel patches/additions to legacy Asuswrt-Merlin branch if they can or have a will to do so.

It's a bit unrealistic to expect hardware after a certain point to still be supported/updated, and that holds more true in tech: probably wishful thinking if not an outright impossibility for the kernel to be updated on these. Asus changed to ARM for a reason; you're not websurfing on a 386-based machine, are you?

It's a bit unrealistic to expect hardware after a certain point to still be supported/updated, and that holds more true in tech: probably wishful thinking if not an outright impossibility for the kernel to be updated on these. Asus changed to ARM for a reason; you're not websurfing on a 386-based machine, are you?

I see your point and I already know Eric will drop support for legacy branch sooner or later, although I'll keep on wishful thinking because John said this:

It doesn't look like a big change... ...I can try and port the kernel patches over to my LTS fork.

and this:

Actually, it might be better to put it on Merlin...

Thanks for your contribution on the topic though.

I see your point and I already know Eric will drop support for legacy branch sooner or later, although I'll keep on wishful thinking because John said this:

and this:

Thanks for your contribution on the topic though.

I'm with you on the wishful thinking (also an n66u owner), but I'm trying to be realistic.

should wait till John or Eric integrates necessary kernel patches/additions to legacy Asuswrt-Merlin branch if they can or have a will to do so.

Won't be me, I am no longer developing for the MIPS models.

@dcguru

Ok....first the bad news. The CLOEXEC patches referenced in one of the dnscrypt tracker links for 2.6.23 were already applied to the MIPS kernel. This means that the problem may also require the follow on socket commits that went into 2.6.27....this is a a bigger piece of work.

But.....there was a single related commit sandwiched in between those two major sections that wasn't included in the MIPS kernel. I did a build that just picks up that commit to see if it helps.
RT-N66U_380.69_2a-g23a21a3d8.zip
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJkEFTnFp4Sh2wvQva

Maybe we'll get lucky.

I have a question for you regarding version 2 of dnscrypt-proxy. Will you try to integrate it into your firmware? I think it would be hard considering its size and difference
I've been waiting until v2 got out of beta to really take a look at it. But depending on where the MIPS issue ends up, it may be better to leave things at v1. But then it becomes an issue of how long he will maintain the v1 resolvers csv.

In any case, I'm going to need to be able to decode the sdns record. I may open up an issue to get doc on it's format.

I've been waiting until v2 got out of beta to really take a look at it. But depending on where the MIPS issue ends up, it may be better to leave things at v1. But then it becomes an issue of how long he will maintain the v1 resolvers csv.

In any case, I'm going to need to be able to decode the sdns record. I may open up an issue to get doc on it's format.
I don’t know if this helps.
https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/stamps

@john9527 I read the original article Frank linked to about the issue with AC66U and Go, quite interesting. So to support your effort to backport and make it easier for people to test your patched firmware, I have added back MIPSEL support in my script for dev branch (use the correct tar this time). The command to install on dev is:
Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/dev/installer && sh installer dev; rm installer

Hope it works out for everyone :).
Tag @dcguru

@john9527 thanks so much for your file and time, firmware is flashed to device this evening.

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U 380.69-2a-g23a21a3d8 Sun Feb 11 18:41:46 UTC 2018
admin@RT-N66U-F830:/tmp/home/root

Tried installing the script again from @bigeyes0x0 (it downloads mpisel this time!) but same results I'm afraid, no DNS on boot up. Trying to launch manually gives the same error.

Code:
admin@RT-N66U-F830:/jffs/dnscrypt# ./dnscrypt-proxy -config /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml
[2015-08-01 00:01:13] [NOTICE] Source [https://download.dnscrypt.info/resolvers-list/v2/public-resolvers.md] loaded
[2015-08-01 00:01:13] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.0
[2015-08-01 00:01:13] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.0.1:65053: errno -9

For fun I also grabbed the https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscryp.../2.0.0/dnscrypt-proxy-linux_mips-2.0.0.tar.gz package just in case your patch made it work but alas same as last time :(

Code:
admin@RT-N66U-F830:/jffs/dnscrypt2# ./dnscrypt-proxy
./dnscrypt-proxy: line 1: syntax error: unexpected "("

I totally understand if nothing more can be done here but obviously prepared to try any more fixes out if they come my way, I want to thank you both again for all your efforts here, so nice to see a community willing to try and fix these things.

@all the stable script has been updated to latest dev version, including MIPSEL (does not work for testing only) and improvement to the migration procedure. It's now able to migrate everything in the toml files including any change you made to the non global setting parts from query_logs to end of file.

Last edited:
@bigeyes0x0 Thanks.....this keeps getting better and better all the time!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!