What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use a swap file by default (512MB) as it is recommended for use with Skynet, AB-Solution and dnscrypt as well.

Maybe @RMerlin can shed some light on your questions regarding memory usage?

Yeah - I don't have a problem with using one. I put in a 32GB drive and setup a 2GB swap.
I guess my problem/confusion is that I have seen this "recommendation", but what I am seeing should not be a recommendation, but a requirement. It may be that it is hardware dependent so some devices may not need it.

What I am as confused about more than anything is the fact that I can't seem to find any trace in logs or tools about there being a memory shortage but all tests indicate that the swap is required for stable operation.

I guess my problem/confusion is that I have seen this "recommendation", but what I am seeing should not be a recommendation, but a requirement.

I get what you're saying. I think I've never been without a swap, so I haven't encountered any of these issues.

What I am as confused about more than anything is the fact that I can't seem to find any trace in logs or tools about there being a memory shortage but all tests indicate that the swap is required for stable operation.

That's definitely strange. For what it's worth, I barely see swap being used as well. Occasionally when AB-Solution is generating stats for example or other heavy tasks, it's being used, but I don't get why it's apparently a requirement for dnscrypt (at least in your case?). Unfortunately @bigeyes0x0 hasn't been around for about 10 days, so hopefully he'll be back soon.

Yeah - I don't have a problem with using one. I put in a 32GB drive and setup a 2GB swap.
I guess my problem/confusion is that I have seen this "recommendation", but what I am seeing should not be a recommendation, but a requirement. It may be that it is hardware dependent so some devices may not need it.

Do you use skynet along with dnscrypt?

@Twiglets When setting up query logging, just enable the feature. I found by putting an absolute path to my EXT2 drive, it created another EXT2 drive (renaming the current drive to EXT2(1)), with only the log file in it. This wasn't terribly easy to fix. It is fixed now and the "query.log" file is in the dnscypt directory....:oops::rolleyes::). Where it belongs...lol.

Do you have SSH enabled in your router settings and do you know how to connect to your router using SSH?
I have asus rt87u with merlin wrt and I have enable SSH Lan+wan, I connect using this command on terminal "SSH user@ipadress" It Is correct ?
I tried the command suggested in the first post but without success...
Can you help me ?
Thanks u so much!

First...
I have enable SSH Lan+wan
... do yourself a favor and disable WAN access for SSH. It'll save you tons of trouble, as it's not secure. If needed, don't allow password, only a key pair. If you don't have a clue what this means, please just disable WAN access (set it to LAN only).

Second, can you connect succesfully?

Code:
ssh user@ipaddress

should do the trick. Make sure 'ssh' is in lower case, Linux is case sensitive. You should see a welcome message showing something like this:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.7-beta1 Sat Sep 15 03:41:28 UTC 2018
marco@router:/tmp/home/root#

First...

... do yourself a favor and disable WAN access for SSH. It'll save you tons of trouble, as it's not secure. If needed, don't allow password, only a key pair. If you don't have a clue what this means, please just disable WAN access (set it to LAN only).

Second, can you connect succesfully?

Code:
ssh user@ipaddress

should do the trick. Make sure 'ssh' is in lower case, Linux is case sensitive. You should see a welcome message showing something like this:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.7-beta1 Sat Sep 15 03:41:28 UTC 2018
marco@router:/tmp/home/root#

Ok, now is connect successfully...
At this point ?

Device with 256MB definitely requires swap as far as my usage is concerned. I can code in a check for this but not in the near future, unfortunately I've been too busy lately.

Ok, now is connect successfully...
At this point ?

Copy the entire command from the first post to install:

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/master/installer && sh installer ; rm installer

and paste it in the terminal window while connected to your router and hit [ENTER].

Follow the on screen instruction wizzard. If there's an option you don't understand, choose default or post it here before proceeding if unsure.

Copy the entire command from the first post to install:

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/master/installer && sh installer ; rm installer

and paste it in the terminal window while connected to your router and hit [ENTER].

Follow the on screen instruction wizzard. If there's an option you don't understand, choose default or post it here before proceeding if unsure.

thank you so much I installed dnscrypt!

New dnscrypt version 2.0.17 available:
https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/releases
  • Go >= 1.11 is now supported
  • The flipside is that Windows XP is not supported any more :(
  • When dropping privileges, there is no supervisor process any more.
  • DNS options used to be cleared from DNS queries, with the exception of flags and payload sizes. This is not the case any more.
  • Android builds use a newer NDK, and add compatibility with API 19.
  • DoH queries are smaller, since workarounds are not required any more after Google updated their implementation.

As for the dnscrypt 2.0.17 can I just swap out the binary? Or should I wait for the install script to be updated?

You can download the installation script and just change the version number in it and execute it. Worked for me without any problems ;)

You can download the installation script and just change the version number in it and execute it. Worked for me without any problems ;)

Maybe worth noticing that the install script generates a config file (dnscrypt-proxy.toml) which might be different compared to the one used by the latest release of dnscrypt-proxy, as the installer hasn't yet been updated to reflect any changes (if any, I don't know for sure, as I stopped using dnscrypt-proxy). Maybe check your current config against the new default config file to see what changes have been been made?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!