What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any reason why dnscrypt keeps crashing time from time?

The only thin i get on my log is:

Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is not responding

Then it gets restarted automatically, but sometimes it takes a really long time for it to happen.

Then it gets restarted automatically, but sometimes it takes a really long time for it to happen.
My advice, change to Stubby, its the future!!

Please, how did you discovered?
You saw this because when is not working you are offline without internet?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Please, how did you discovered?
You saw this because when is not working you are offline without internet?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

O saw it several times and from time to time, when i tried to acess a site and i would get a failed DNS response, after the failed DNS response i would then look on my router log and i would see the message "Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is not responding" followed by another message saying that dnscrypt was restarted

This might be a stupid question, just trying to understand.

Since I am using ExpressVPN and also their dynamic DNS servers, which encrypt all DNS queries already and do not leak any DNS information - would I need in that case also dnscrypt or Stubby?

This might be a stupid question, just trying to understand.

Since I am using ExpressVPN and also their dynamic DNS servers, which encrypt all DNS queries already and do not leak any DNS information - would I need in that case also dnscrypt or Stubby?

Don`t know how you setup your VPN connection, If you set in VPN client settings "Accept DNS Configuration" to "Exclusive" then your DNS requests should go thru tunnel.
I use DNSCrypt because my VPN providers DNS servers supports/use DNSCrypt v2 and i also use Diversion(ad-block) so i have "Accept DNS Configuration" = Strict otherwise my VPN clients wont work with Diversion..
Stubby use DoT (DNS over TLS)
DNSCrypt-proxy use DNSCrypt v1 & v2 & DoH (DNS over HTTPS)
So it depends on what the DNS servers supports that you want to use and how you set it up

Last edited:
Installer Updated :) v2.0.20
Thanks ;)
Don't forget to look at the example 'dnscrypt-proxy.toml' file for new 'Options' etc.

Released this Mar 14, 2019
  • Startup is now way faster, especially when using DoH servers.
  • A new action: CLOAK is logged when queries are being cloaked.
  • A cloaking rule can now map to multiple IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, with load-balancing.
  • New option: refused_code_in_responses to return (or not) a REFUSED code on blacklisted queries. This is disabled by default, in order to work around a bug in Android Pie.
  • Time-based restrictions are now properly handled in the generate-domains-blacklist.py script.
  • Other improvements have been made to the generate-domains-blacklist.py script.
  • The Windows service is now installed as NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

Installer Changed back to v2.0.19, Maybe some issue with 2.0.20

Edit:
Myself got DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN on some sites with dnscrypt servers but not with DoH servers and only happend with android even with that setting for android v8+ set to false..So Reverted and Android phones working again with all sites and dnscrypt servers

Last edited:
Thanks.
Nice to see dnscrypt-proxy using tls 1.3 to connect under DOH.

Hey @bigeyes0x0 , any way you could include the installed version DNSCRYPT_VER in the /jffs/dnscrypt/manager file?
This way I can check in amtm what version is installed and compare it to the GitHub version.

Thanks

Weird question is there away to install this on a access point and point it to the main router to handle dns queries? And if so how would it be implemented?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!