What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hey @bigeyes0x0 , any way you could include the installed version DNSCRYPT_VER in the /jffs/dnscrypt/manager file?
This way I can check in amtm what version is installed and compare it to the GitHub version.

Thanks
No need to do that @bigeyes0x0 , dnscrypt installer is deprecated in amtm and no longer available for install nor will it check for updates.
However, amtm will show the dnscrypt installer menu entry if the script is installed or it's manually installed.

Hey . I'm still confused about routing clients DNS (both ipv4 and V6) to the dnscrypt. So does the dnscrypt run and answer on both v4 and V6 when asked by clients? And do I need to change my current wan or Lan DNS? I could just put routers gateway on DNS box on lan for ipv4. But for ipv6. Does it automatically give routers IP as the DNS for ipv6 on clients? Sorry if it's hard to understand. I'm still confused about all this ipv6 thing haha

Hey . I'm still confused about routing clients DNS (both ipv4 and V6) to the dnscrypt. So does the dnscrypt run and answer on both v4 and V6 when asked by clients? And do I need to change my current wan or Lan DNS? I could just put routers gateway on DNS box on lan for ipv4. But for ipv6. Does it automatically give routers IP as the DNS for ipv6 on clients? Sorry if it's hard to understand. I'm still confused about all this ipv6 thing haha

ignore_system_dns = true
# Use servers reachable over IPv4
ipv4_servers = true
# Use servers reachable over IPv6 -- Do not enable if you don't have IPv6 connectivity
ipv6_servers = true
And that you have both ipv4 and ipv6 DNS servers set in dnscrypt-proxy.toml i guess you should be fine ;)

Specific clients can bypass dnscrypt by using LAN/DNS-Filter if you want

ignore_system_dns = true
# Use servers reachable over IPv4
ipv4_servers = true
# Use servers reachable over IPv6 -- Do not enable if you don't have IPv6 connectivity
ipv6_servers = true
And that you have both ipv4 and ipv6 DNS servers set in dnscrypt-proxy.toml i guess you should be fine ;)

Specific clients can bypass dnscrypt by using LAN/DNS-Filter if you want
No I meant. I think the device could just connect to dnscrypt with ipv4 and dnscrypt can go use ipv6 DNS like Cloudflare's. Now I want to know if we can set it up too so that the clients can connect to dnscrypt using the ipv6 DNS and then dnscrypt can handle like usual... Now after having dnscrypt up and running. Do I need to change wan/Lan DNS on router settings (both v4 and V6) so that it'll make sure that clients will have the router as DNS server (v4 and V6) [emoji4]
Sorry if it's confusing hehe. Not that experienced in this kind of things hehe

With those settings set to True i wrote before will force dnscrypt-proxy to be used and ignore LAN/WAN DNS settings
LAN/DNS-Filter can be set to Enable DNS-based Filtering=ON and set Global Filter Mode=Router will force router ip adress to be used for DNS and in that way forced to use dnscrypt servers

With those settings set to True i wrote before will force dnscrypt-proxy to be used and ignore LAN/WAN DNS settings
LAN/DNS-Filter can be set to Enable DNS-based Filtering=ON and set Global Filter Mode=Router will force router ip adress to be used for DNS and in that way forced to use dnscrypt servers
Sorry for the question but where can I find the Lan/DNS filter? In asuswrt settings? Since I'm waiting for a new Asus router to be delivered. Oh also. For AC-88U with 512MB ram. Do we need to use swap? Or is it okay to just run it normally ? On my rooted android. Dnscrypt uses 100MB+ of ram

Sorry for the question but where can I find the Lan/DNS filter? In asuswrt settings? Since I'm waiting for a new Asus router to be delivered. Oh also. For AC-88U with 512MB ram. Do we need to use swap? Or is it okay to just run it normally ? On my rooted android. Dnscrypt uses 100MB+ of ram

LAN/DNS-Filter option is in Asuswrt-Merlin settings yes, And you should not need a swap to run dnscrypt-proxy
You also have a new DNS Privacy Protocol (DNS over TLS) option in Asuswrt-Merlin(fw:384.11_2) in WAN settings, If you want to try that you dont need DNSCrypt ;)

LAN/DNS-Filter option is in Asuswrt-Merlin settings yes, And you should not need a swap to run dnscrypt-proxy
You also have a new DNS Privacy Protocol (DNS over TLS) option in Asuswrt-Merlin(fw:384.11_2) in WAN settings, If you want to try that you dont need DNSCrypt ;)
Oh yeah I have read about that too. But idk. I prefer DNS over HTTPS hehe. It's more unlikely to be blocked since it's using Https port . Rather than TLS port which is sometimes blocked hehe. It'll be so nice if asuswrt-merlin has dnscrypt installed by default and configurable thru GUI hehe. Would prob be one of the best feature imo haha. What router are you using eh?[emoji4]

It`s in my signature ;)
(RT-AC87u)

Ahh sorry. Using Tapatalk. Can't see it haha. Anyways isn't 87U isn't that good? High failure rate etc?
It has worked fine for me ;) Would not recommend buying a new 87u now, There are newer and better routers that is supported by RMerlin

It has worked fine for me ;)
Ah ok. Anyways thanks for your help. I really like DoH/DoT because it helps privacy and well. Finally I can bypass my ISP from redirecting every DNS using normal DNS port to their crappy and slow DNS servers. Oh and they blocked Reddit. LOL . Again. Thanks for your help ! [emoji4][emoji4]

Hello, thank you very much for this dnscrypt-proxy installer. I have been researching on how to set up dnscrypt on RT-AC86U and I finally found this post which made me really happy!

I have a question though. I am new to Merlin's Firmware and read RMerlin's Wiki / Documentation and came accross information that it's not recommended doing frequent writes to the Jffs area, as it will prematurely wear out the flash chip. So is it still safe to install dnscrypt-proxy to Jffs partition as indicated in the post on the first page? Or would it be better (if it's possible) to install it on a USB flash drive?

If it's possible to install it to a USB flash drive, could anyone please direct me to some guides or explain how to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Hello, thank you very much for this dnscrypt-proxy installer. I have been researching on how to set up dnscrypt on RT-AC86U and I finally found this post which made me really happy!

I have a question though. I am new to Merlin's Firmware and read RMerlin's Wiki / Documentation and came accross information that it's not recommended doing frequent writes to the Jffs area, as it will prematurely wear out the flash chip. So is it still safe to install dnscrypt-proxy to Jffs partition as indicated in the post on the first page? Or would it be better (if it's possible) to install it on a USB flash drive?

If it's possible to install it to a USB flash drive, could anyone please direct me to some guides or explain how to do this?

Thank you in advance.
It's easy, but a little complicated the first time. I put a how-to in my signature. :)

Thank you in advance.
Many consider dnscrypt to be deprecated now that DNS over TLS (DoT) is available. Support for DoT was added to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware in 384.11 release:

384.11 (8-May-2019)
- NEW: Added DNS Privacy feature, with support for
DNS-over-TLS (also known as DoT).
You can configure it on the WAN -> Internet Connection
page. You can manually add your own servers, or chose
one (or a few) from the preset list. (themiron)

dnsprivacy.org has a good summary of the DNS privacy solutions on their site as does tenta.com.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!