What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@JaimeZX

Thank you for the information, I shall try following your guide and setting things up. It seems though that AMTM is still installed directly on Jffs area, is that okay or would a USB flash drive be better?

@Xentrk

Thank you for those resources, but I've already come across and read them. However I also came across https://dnscrypt.info/faq/ page where it states pros and cons of each DNS protocol and according to that page it looks like Dnscrypt is the safest of all and DoT seems to get a lot of thumbs down. I am not sure how accurate the information is, but that's one of the reasons why I really like to set up dnscrypt-proxy v2 on my RT-AC86U. :)

Last edited:

@Xentrk

Thank you for those resources, but I've already come across and read them. However I also came across https://dnscrypt.info/faq/ page where it states pros and cons of each DNS protocol and according to that page it looks like Dnscrypt is the safest of all and DoT seems to get a lot of thumbs down. I am not sure how accurate the information is, but that's one of the reasons why I really like to set up dnscrypt-proxy v2 on my RT-AC86U. :)
Of course the website about dnscrypt is going to "big-up" its own protocol...

DNSCrypt is a proprietary standard, while DoT is an approved IETF standard. That alone should seal DNSCrypt's fate.

Thank you for the information, I shall try following your guide and setting things up. It seems though that AMTM is still installed directly on Jffs area, is that okay or would a USB flash drive be better?

A USB drive is still flash memory... but I'm running everything on the USB drive. I didn't think you could install it on the router directly?

A USB drive is still flash memory... but I'm running everything on the USB drive. I didn't think you could install it on the router directly?

So when you install AMTM using your guide, does it install it to USB flash drive or JFFS on the router?

Yes, but it’s cheaper to buy a new USB drive than a new router when it’s worn out.
So when you install AMTM using your guide, does it install it to USB flash drive or JFFS on the router?
Look here, this is my house. I bought it and it has a nice front door. But I always use the back door because someone told me the front door hinges might wear out some day.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have set up the amtm succesfully, formatted the USB flash drive and installed entware. Afterwards I also installed dnscrypt using the instructions on the first page of this thread. Really happy it works. :) Is it possible to install dnscrypt on the USB flash drive? It seems that amtm doesn't support dnscrypt anymore, so can't do it that way.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I installed dnscrypt-proxy through entware and have no issues. When there's a new version I just drop in the new binary and start the service. OpenNIC doesn't have DoH servers yet, so that's why I'm still using DNSCrypt.

I installed dnscrypt-proxy through entware and have no issues. When there's a new version I just drop in the new binary and start the service. OpenNIC doesn't have DoH servers yet, so that's why I'm still using DNSCrypt.
Awesome, okay. So the front-page setup instructions are still good, even with the DoT stuff added to Merlin?

Awesome, okay. So the front-page setup instructions are still good, even with the DoT stuff added to Merlin?

andddddd I got it working on a Pi-hole at least. Simple setup.

[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.29-beta.1
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Source [public-resolvers.md] loaded
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Anonymized DNS: routing [cisco] via [sdns://gRIxMzcuNzQuMjIzLjIzNDo0NDM]
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Service started

DNSCrypt Users: Anonymized DNS is in Beta
https://www.reddit.com/r/dnscrypt/comments/dhoxah/anonymized_dns_is_here/

Given that support was dropped from amtm, is this post still currently the best way to configure DNSCrypt if I want to try it once Anonymized DNS is out of beta?
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/

Here is the code:-

curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer/master/installer && sh installer ; rm installer

andddddd I got it working on a Pi-hole at least. Simple setup.

[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.29-beta.1
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Source [public-resolvers.md] loaded
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Anonymized DNS: routing [cisco] via [sdns://gRIxMzcuNzQuMjIzLjIzNDo0NDM]
[2019-10-14 10:56:47] [NOTICE] Service started

Just tried it on my ASUS RT-AC56U, all appears to be working OK !!! :)
Thanks for the Heads up on the Beta version & Anonymized DNS !!!

Got it working ;)
Code:
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.29-beta.1
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: Network connectivity detected
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: Source [public-resolvers.md] loaded
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: Anonymized DNS: routing [ovpn2_ipv4] via [sdns://gRIxMzcuNzQuMjIzLjIzNDo0NDM]
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: Anonymized DNS: routing [cloudflare] via [sdns://gRIxMzcuNzQuMjIzLjIzNDo0NDM]
Oct 14 20:41:24 dnscrypt-proxy[29892]: Firefox workaround initialized

edit: DoH server removed (cloudflare)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!