What's new

DNScrypt dnscrypt installer for asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Regards the memory leak, I think it is about the cache issue which was disabled when using the installer?
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/1352

what do u mean by not properly binding to address?
I am able to surf via dnscrypt-proxy?
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/1354
Dnscrypt-proxy -check fails when checking the .toml file and claims the bind address is in use. The issue doesnt start happening until you reconfigure. This was experienced by two and reported by 2 users and myself already.

Dnscrypt-proxy -check fails when checking the .toml file and claims the bind address is in use. The issue doesnt start happening until you reconfigure. This was experienced by two and reported by 2 users and myself already.

I can confirm the issue. I had the same yesterday night until the new downgrade provided this morning

looks like he may have just resolved the issue haven't tested it yet though. the issue was the -check should not bind to listening sockets

https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/1354

here is the patch

https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/commit/adcdcffdec3163ce31964e94edfd12bab4f6bc7b

I am going to set installer to fetch the latest version now.

I am unlucky today and literally everything tech is breaking, but I just updated and this is what happened:

https://i.imgur.com/2yJrgdt.png

At least the backup/restore function seemed to work well. :)

I am unlucky today and literally everything tech is breaking, but I just updated and this is what happened:

https://i.imgur.com/2yJrgdt.png

At least the backup/restore function seemed to work well. :)
Try

Work around ----
mv /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml.err /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml
sh /jffs/dnscrypt/manager dnscrypt-start

Last edited:
Try

Work around ----
mv /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml.err /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml
sh /jffs/dnscrypt/manager dnscrypt-start

I think mine was working earlier on because I did manually done this step.
I didn’t know this is a problem and yes, when I first upgraded to this new version, dnscrypt-proxy didn’t start and the toml was renamed with the .err. Then I proceed to rename the example toml and configure the toml manually without the installer then I restart dnscrypt-proxy manually.

but meanwhile I still can use this latest version (2.0.43) as long as I don’t do re-configuration?
If we restart router, will it affect it from starting?

Last edited:
I think mine was working earlier on because I did manually done this step.
I didn’t know this is a problem and yes, when I first upgraded to this new version, dnscrypt-proxy didn’t start and the toml was renamed with the .err. Then I proceed to rename the example toml and configure the toml manually without the installer then I restart dnscrypt-proxy manually.

but meanwhile I still can use this latest version (2.0.43) as long as I don’t do re-configuration?
If we restart router, will it affect it from starting?
No only on reconfigure. Because the check for .toml errors is broken.

*Minor Update* to Di version 2.1.6
Update via amtm and di (Option 1 in menu to update installer and dnscrypt-proxy version)
  • Fixes for the installers check function (One check will be ignored) (Will be fixed with the next dnscrypt-proxy release)
  • Important to specify to reconfigure and "Start from default config" (DNSCrypt-proxy 2.0.43 has changes that is needed in config)
Thanks @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for this update :)
Info: Detected ARMv7 architecture.
Info: JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled
Info: DNS Environment is Ready.
Info: DI_VERSION=v2.1.6
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.43
Info: Manager file is Up-To-Date!
Info: Choose what you want to do:
1) Install/Update dnscrypt-proxy
2) Uninstall dnscrypt-proxy
3) Configure dnscrypt-proxy
4) Set timezone
5) Unset timezone
6) Install (P)RNG
7) Uninstall (P)RNG
8) Install swap file
9) Uninstall ALL
b) Backup
r) Restore
q) Quit
=> Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-9/b/r/q]: 3
Info: This operation allows you to configure dnscrypt-proxy

=> Do you want to proceed? [y/n]: y
Info: Configuring dnscrypt-proxy...
Info: Checking dnscrypt-proxy configuration...
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.1.1:53: bind: address already in use
*** Error: Skipping this test until next version...
Info: Found previous dnscrypt-proxy config file
Info: How do you want to reconfigure:
Info: 1) Start from previous settings file
Info: 2) Start from default config
=> Your selection, [1-2]: 2

[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.1.1:53: bind: address already in use
Info: Restarting dnscrypt-proxy with new config...
Info: Operation completed. You can quit or continue
Jun 10 21:44:35 izzt: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Network connectivity detected
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Dropping privileges
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [UDP]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [TCP]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Source [public-resolvers] loaded
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Source [relays] loaded
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Anonymized DNS: routing everything via [anon-cs-se anon-sth-se]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Firefox workaround initialized
Jun 10 21:44:53 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Server with the lowest initial latency: soltysiak (rtt: 34ms)
Jun 10 21:44:53 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: dnscrypt-proxy is ready - live servers: 23

Last edited:
*Minor Update* to Di version 2.1.6
Update via amtm and di (Option 1 in menu to update installer and dnscrypt-proxy version)
  • Fixes for the installers check function (One check will be ignored) (Will be fixed with the next dnscrypt-proxy release)
  • Important to specify to reconfigure and "Start from default config" (DNSCrypt-proxy 2.0.43 has changes that is needed in config)
Thanks @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow for this update :)
Info: Detected ARMv7 architecture.
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.43
1) Install/Update dnscrypt-proxy
2) Uninstall dnscrypt-proxy
3) Configure dnscrypt-proxy
4) Set timezone
5) Unset timezone
6) Install (P)RNG
7) Uninstall (P)RNG
8) Install swap file
9) Uninstall ALL
b) Backup
r) Restore
q) Quit
=> Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-9/b/r/q]: 3
Info: This operation allows you to configure dnscrypt-proxy

=> Do you want to proceed? [y/n]: y
Info: Configuring dnscrypt-proxy...
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2020-06-10 21:42:33] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.1.1:53: bind: address already in use
Info: Found previous dnscrypt-proxy config file
Info: How do you want to reconfigure:
Info: 1) Start from previous settings file
Info: 2) Start from default config
=> Your selection, [1-2]: 2

[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [NOTICE] dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [NOTICE] Network connectivity detected
[2020-06-10 21:44:35] [FATAL] listen udp 127.0.1.1:53: bind: address already in use
Info: Restarting dnscrypt-proxy with new config...
Info: Operation completed. You can quit or continue
Jun 10 21:44:35 izzt: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Dropping privileges
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [UDP]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Now listening to 127.0.1.1:53 [TCP]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Source [public-resolvers] loaded
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Source [relays] loaded
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Anonymized DNS: routing everything via [anon-cs-se anon-sth-se]
Jun 10 21:44:36 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Firefox workaround initialized
Jun 10 21:44:53 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: Server with the lowest initial latency: soltysiak (rtt: 34ms)
Jun 10 21:44:53 dnscrypt-proxy[1714]: dnscrypt-proxy is ready - live servers: 23
As @Zastoff has alluded to, a temporary workaround has been added to allow versions of dnscrypt-proxy 2.0.43 to be used with the exception that the .toml files will not be able to be checked for containing content errors or improper formatting. Due to recent settings changes in Dnscrypt-proxy 2, a check for Netprobe was added to the dnscrypt-proxy 2 error checking functionality. This caused an improper FATAL flag to claim the udp listening address was already in use (when in fact it was being used by dnscrypt-proxy). In lieu of this, the installer will skip doing this check until the next DNSCRYPT-PROXY2 release for installations currently running version 2.0.43. The devs of Dnscrypt-proxy2 have already patched this, but it will not be included until the next release.

2.0.44 Released

github-actions released this 4 hours ago
  • More updates to the set of block lists, thanks again to IceCodeNew.
  • Netprobes and listening sockets are now ignored when the -list, -list-all, -show-certs or -check command-line switches are used.
  • tls_client_auth was renamed to doh_client_x509_auth. A section with the previous name is temporarily ignored if empty, but will error out if not.
  • Unit tests are now working on 32-bit systems. Thanks to Will Elwood and @lifenjoiner.

2.0.44 Released

github-actions released this 4 hours ago
  • More updates to the set of block lists, thanks again to IceCodeNew.
  • Netprobes and listening sockets are now ignored when the -list, -list-all, -show-certs or -check command-line switches are used.
  • tls_client_auth was renamed to doh_client_x509_auth. A section with the previous name is temporarily ignored if empty, but will error out if not.
  • Unit tests are now working on 32-bit systems. Thanks to Will Elwood and @lifenjoiner.

The installer fails with "Writing dnscrypt configuration failed" Start from a clean new install with v2.1.6. But good work anyway :) Waiting for a fix

The installer fails with "Writing dnscrypt configuration failed" Start from a clean new install with v2.1.6. But good work anyway :) Waiting for a fix
Yes you have to do a new .toml file because the new version remote dnscrypt proxy 2 version has added strings to the .toml file that are now mandatory to be there. Unless you go to the dnscrypt-proxy 2 site and manually add the strings yourself to the .toml file.

Now DnsCrypt worked for a few weeks and from today on problems.

--
Jun 13 15:01:02 lul dnscrypt-proxy[7829]: Unable to load the configuration file [/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml] -- Maybe use the -config command-line switch?
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul GLM2900: Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is dead
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul GLM2900: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul dnscrypt-proxy[9202]: Unable to load the configuration file [/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml] -- Maybe use the -config command-line switch?

Info: Detected ARMv8 architecture.
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.44
--

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help?

lg.

Now DnsCrypt worked for a few weeks and from today on problems.

--
Jun 13 15:01:02 lul dnscrypt-proxy[7829]: Unable to load the configuration file [/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml] -- Maybe use the -config command-line switch?
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul GLM2900: Warning: dnscrypt-proxy is dead
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul GLM2900: Start dnscrypt-proxy
Jun 13 15:01:12 lul dnscrypt-proxy[9202]: Unable to load the configuration file [/jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml] -- Maybe use the -config command-line switch?

Info: Detected ARMv8 architecture.
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.44
--

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help?

lg.
Reconfigure with new .toml file as mentioned in the many previous post,dnscrypt-proxy 2 has added new options to .toml file that require you to reconfigure using a new .toml file. Out of my hands. For example this post
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/page-84#post-592614
Or this post
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/page-84#post-593129

I patched the installer with a work around.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! It works. I had previously encountered the problem that I had no internet for the clients due to the defect of the "dnscrypt".
lg.

Okay thanks! It works. I had previously encountered the problem that I had no internet for the clients due to the defect of the "dnscrypt".
lg.
Yea I have been following their releases but these past few they have change things that appear not listed in their change log, so it is hard to figure out what is wrong until someone reports something.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!