What's new

Release Notification Options?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

treeskygrass

Regular Contributor
Hey @RMerlin!

Normally I subscribe to release notifications on Github, but when I look or yours I get nothing:

What confuses me is that I known you're using Github, and I can see the releases under Tags, but not releases.

So my question is: Would you consider posting releases Github as releases? I'm guessing that for your purposes all you need is tags, however the problem is Github users can set notifications for releases but not tags. It would seem in your interest to do so, as more uses could be automatically notified of updates... unless there's some other subscription list I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Would you consider posting releases Github as releases?
Unusable for a project such as this one, where a single "release" can have up to 20 separate files.

Use the RSS feeds on Sourceforge, that way you can even monitor only your specific model.

Related questions:

I just follow @RMerlin on twitter...that way I don't fall down the rabbit hole here looking for updates.
Same for diversion (but sometimes I see update info on reddit first)...

long story short - the socials are a good way FOR ME to keep informed about updates. YMMV

I don't expect anything bad to happen if I find there is a new firmware release a week later.

Why cant this email program in amtm do this?

Why cant this email program in amtm do this?
Diversion can do that but only for final firmware releases. No point, alpha or beta releases.

Diversion can do that but only for final firmware releases. No point, alpha or beta releases.
Im not running diversion, im using AdGuard Home.

Final release is good. But it would be splendid if this was implemented in the email script too. So people like me have a choice.

I don't expect anything bad to happen if I find there is a new firmware release a week later.

No one “expects” zero day issues… that’s kinda the point.

If you’re a retiree checking Facebook probably not an issue… but there are plenty of these devices in business, education, research, etc. in sensitive and difficult to physically access locations.

In short, while the stability and security of your own device(s) may not be a concern, that’s not the case for everyone.

but there are plenty of these devices in business, education, research, etc.

Cheap home routers with 3rd party firmware? I don't think so.

that’s not the case for everyone

When your device dies after firmware update you'll change your mind. It happened to some AX86U owners not long ago. With the buggy firmware you're playing better wait for 2 weeks and read the feedback in release threads before you pull the trigger. Do you know how many users reverted to previous more stable Asuswrt-Merlin versions? You can count in 388.1 release thread. The latest is not always the greatest.

Cheap home routers with 3rd party firmware? I don't think so.

Well, you’re wrong. Cheap, versatile, and customizable is exactly WHY they’re used in a variety of scenarios. You think a graduate student doing a remote sensing experiment uses dozens of Cisco routers? Nope, eBay and Asus.

You do you, but don’t think you know what others want/need.

You think a graduate student doing a remote sensing experiment

This student needs something cheap and disposable. Asus off eBay is cheap and disposable. New Asus is expensive and disposable. No one will do serious business relying on few hundred bucks home router with 3rd party firmware on it. No school will use one and no real scientific research lab. Guaranteed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!