What's new

[RELEASE] PWRMON v1.2.9 -Feb 7, 2024- Monitor your Tesla Powerwall(s) - Solar - Grid - Home Stats! (New: Weather! SMS/Email Notifications!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sounds pretty "salty"... LOL! :D
definitely!
1663642046846.png

Releasing v1.18 today... enjoy!

What's new?
v1.18 - (September 19, 2022)
- ADDED: Email notification capabilities
for major grid events: Down, Syncing or Return to Normal. Added the necessary setup menu items to record TO:, FROM:, SMTP Server, SMTP Port, Password, etc. Please note, this has only been tested on SSL SMTP connections, like smtps://smtp.gmail.com on port 465. I can add other methods of authentication if requests are made. Please note #2, in order for you to make use of a service like gmail in a case like this, you will need to obtain an "app password" to provide the necessary authentication using this method. And note #3, your smtp password is encrypted and saved in a config file that resides locally on the router under /jffs/addons/pwrmon.d/pwrmon.cfg, however, please know that due to the security constraints on these types of routers, I would still consider this to be an unsafe method of storage, and could still very easily be compromised by someone who knows what they're doing. Only use non-essential email accounts to send or receive these emails so you don't risk a primary account compromise!
- CHANGED: The behavior of the "pwrmon -screen" command, so that when you execute this commandline parameter, it first will look for orphaned screens and wipe them... then, it will launch PWRMON into a new screen environment, and connect to it. This skips the original behavior where it drops back to a command prompt, and asks the user to connect to the PWRMON screen by requiring the user to run the "screen -r pwrmon" command. If a screen session is already running, and you type "pwrmon -screen", it will then connect to this screen session without requiring any user input. Thanks much to @TITAN for the great suggestion!

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.18.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
On the main page (1), a new visualization of the Powerwall Config, showing charge, email alerts, PW mode, and reserve power
View attachment 44300

From the setup screen, the new options available to configure your powerwall email notifications!
View attachment 44301
are you using the shared amtm email config or your own? i know which i'd suggest using :)

are you using the shared amtm email config or your own? i know which i'd suggest using :)
I'm actually using my own... I was seriously considering using the shared AMTM config, but decided against it. I may still reconsider in the future, but I wanted the experience to build this into the app and have it feel more like a one-stop-shop.

I'm actually using my own... I was seriously considering using the shared AMTM config, but decided against it. I may still reconsider in the future, but I wanted the experience to build this into the app and have it feel more like a one-stop-shop.
if i remember what i did in connmon, i think i used the shared credentials but my own targets. by the way, if you feel like having discord notifications, feel free to pick up that code ;-)

if i remember what i did in connmon, i think i used the shared credentials but my own targets. by the way, if you feel like having discord notifications, feel free to pick up that code ;-)
Thanks!! :) I was also looking into SMS notifications, but man... they all CHARGE $$$! :(

Thanks!! :) I was also looking into SMS notifications, but man... they all CHARGE $$$! :(
yeah SMS usually incurs a cost. i did look at a library that provides all sorts of notification options but felt like it was cheating and rolled my own. i think i landed with Discord, and Pushover which does have mobile app options - cant remember if free/paid or free to a certain limit.

My thoughts go out to everyone in the Southwest Florida area having just experienced massive CAT5 Hurricane Ian. :( In recognition of this, I have added 3-day weather forecast pages to PWRMON to give you an idea on the current/future conditions for your local area.

What's New?
v1.20 - (September 29, 2022)
- MAJOR:
In recognition of major Hurricane Ian, I have integrated a 3 day weather forecast that includes today's current conditions, giving you all necessary info to get a good idea what's going to happen with the weather. Forecast includes current/upcoming conditions, temperature, and wind direction/speed. Ability to see detailed conditions expands on the current and upcoming conditions, including chances of rain. This functionality uses a free API from weather.gov, and determines your location from the coordinates of your WAN exit IP to determine the weather for your local region. It will be close, but may not be exactly the weather that is happening on top of your house. Will look into allowing you to add custom longitude and latitude coordinates in the near future.
- CHANGED: Included JQ as part of the prerequisites needed to be installed when PWRMON is set up for the first time. This was my error, thinking that the JQ tool was either already installed by default, or came along with an Entware install by default. Now, when going into Setup -> Config, the script will check for the existence of JQ, and will prompt an install if it's not already present under /opt/bin. JQ is necessary for pulling data from your Tesla Powerwall Gateway API for the purposes of extracting current power stats. Added a check when the script starts up to ensure that all prerequisites are in place before running the script. Thanks to @monakh for noticing this behavior with JQ on a fresh install of VPNMON-R2!

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.20.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
The (W)eather page shows your WAN exit city, longitude, latitude, day, temp, wind speed, wind direction and current/forecast conditions
pwrmon-1.20-w1.jpg

The (M)ore Details page shows expanded weather conditions that will also include chances of rain, rain fall amounts, etc.
pwrmon-1.20-w2.jpg

Happy to help! I WISH I had a Tesla Powerwall!

Sorry, it's been a quite couple of days, I have some feedback for the current beta of VPNMON, will share shortly in the beta thread.

My thoughts go out to everyone in the Southwest Florida area having just experienced massive CAT5 Hurricane Ian. :( In recognition of this, I have added 3-day weather forecast pages to PWRMON to give you an idea on the current/future conditions for your local area.

What's New?
v1.20 - (September 29, 2022)
- MAJOR:
In recognition of major Hurricane Ian, I have integrated a 3 day weather forecast that includes today's current conditions, giving you all necessary info to get a good idea what's going to happen with the weather. Forecast includes current/upcoming conditions, temperature, and wind direction/speed. Ability to see detailed conditions expands on the current and upcoming conditions, including chances of rain. This functionality uses a free API from weather.gov, and determines your location from the coordinates of your WAN exit IP to determine the weather for your local region. It will be close, but may not be exactly the weather that is happening on top of your house. Will look into allowing you to add custom longitude and latitude coordinates in the near future.
- CHANGED: Included JQ as part of the prerequisites needed to be installed when PWRMON is set up for the first time. This was my error, thinking that the JQ tool was either already installed by default, or came along with an Entware install by default. Now, when going into Setup -> Config, the script will check for the existence of JQ, and will prompt an install if it's not already present under /opt/bin. JQ is necessary for pulling data from your Tesla Powerwall Gateway API for the purposes of extracting current power stats. Added a check when the script starts up to ensure that all prerequisites are in place before running the script. Thanks to @monakh for noticing this behavior with JQ on a fresh install of VPNMON-R2!

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.20.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
The (W)eather page shows your WAN exit city, longitude, latitude, day, temp, wind speed, wind direction and current/forecast conditions
View attachment 44485

The (M)ore Details page shows expanded weather conditions that will also include chances of rain, rain fall amounts, etc.
View attachment 44486
We are not out of it yet.... My neighbor had a tree land on their house.

yeah SMS usually incurs a cost. i did look at a library that provides all sorts of notification options but felt like it was cheating and rolled my own. i think i landed with Discord, and Pushover which does have mobile app options - cant remember if free/paid or free to a certain limit.
Many carriers allow you to email them with your phone number as the recipient. For example, on Verizon in the US, its “yourphonenumber@vtext.com”. I don’t believe they charge anything. Other carriers might. Here is a list of addresses

Most are limited, think “send very short messages”.

Many carriers allow you to email them with your phone number as the recipient. For example, on Verizon in the US, its “yourphonenumber@vtext.com”. I don’t believe they charge anything. Other carriers might. Here is a list of addresses

Most are limited, think “send very short messages”.
That's such a great idea, @JGrana! I just gave it a shot, and it works! But you're right... it's a VERY short message. I think I have enough room for just a very short sentence, but that would work!

In the future, will it be possible to make the plugin usable also for the Solaredge monitoring system? It is quite common and very similar in functioning
I would love to, @MatteoPV! It just makes it very difficult to develop for when you don't have anything on your end to test with, you know? But if you have some info on how this setup works, or if you can refer me to some developer resources, I can check into it?

EDIT: Seems I found something :) -- https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se_monitoring_api.pdf

...but after taking a look, I don't think it's going to be possible without a unit to test the code against. If someone that owns a system like this that wants to help develop/integrate it within PWRMON, please know I'd be happy to collaborate!

EDIT 2: I reached out to them to see if they offer any kind of developer API keys or a simulation environment to test the code in. If they reach back out, I'll let you know how things look. ;)

Last edited:
New version with the addition of a SMS/Text notification field, with many thanks to @JGrana for the suggestion! Your great ideas make this all possible! :) Some other changes/fixes under the hood... Enjoy v1.21!

What's New?
v1.21 - (October 3, 2022)
- ADDED:
Thanks to the excellent suggestion of @JGrana, I have added a secondary email address for the purposes of sending SMS/Text messages to your phone during major Powerwall events! The format for the email address must be: 1234567890@carrierdomainname.com, or as specified by your carrier. Most all carriers have added the capability of sending SMS/Text messages to you via email. Please see this website for further info and format of your carriers SMS/Text email format: https://avtech.com/articles/138/list-of-email-to-sms-addresses/
- FIXED: Detection of malformed API returns from weather.gov, preventing nulls and other errors, in order to present valid weather data each and every time.
- FIXED: Runtime calculations when greater than 3 digits would screw up the alignment of the visualizations, and capped max runtime remaining amounts at +99.9h.

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.21.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:
Option #8 under "Enable Email Alerts" now allows for the addition of an SMS/Text email address - please refer to your carrier for the correct format of this address -- typically goes like 1234567890@carrierdomainname.com -- see https://avtech.com/articles/138/list-of-email-to-sms-addresses/
pwrmon-1.21-config.jpg

Last edited:
The new texting feature is working out GREAT, and have already gotten multiple notifications of power outages I normally wouldn't see... here's another minor bug fix for a few more issues that the weather.gov API addon was causing... enjoy! :)

What's New?
v1.22 - (October 5, 2022)
- FIXED:
the -wipe SCREEN command is now being checked earlier before the script determines how it is going to initiate a SCREEN session.
- FIXED: Further refinement on fixing malformed API returns from weather.gov in order to prevent null results from tainting the rest of the results. Seems to be good now!

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.22.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Brought some of the best of VPNMON-R2, RTRMON and KILLMON over to PWRMON, and getting it up to the same feature levels. Enjoy!

What's New?
v1.25 - (November 20, 2022)
- ADDED:
An auto-rotate option is now available by hitting the (R)otate pgs option from any of the currently 3 other stats screens. When doing so, PWRMON will automatically advance to the next page, and loop through each until you disable this feature by again hitting the (R)otate pgs key.
- ADDED: An option to choose a more minimalist progress bar. You can specify if you want the standard or minimalist progress bar under the config menu, item #9. For those who found it annoying or distracting, enjoy!
- CHANGED: As with VPNMON-R2 and RTRMON, now when you make changes to the config while running the program, upon return to the main UI, your changes will automatically be applied without needing to exit and restart.
- CHANGED: Modified the update functionality to allow you to force-update your current PWRMON script with the current build available on github.
- MINOR: Small wording changes around the setup menu when it comes to installing Entware prerequisites. Added a check when the script starts up to ensure that all prerequisites are in place before running the script.
- MINOR: Added the "kW" measurement notation next to the large font dashboard on page 3, in case there is any confusion on what those digits stand for. ;)

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.25.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Minimalist progress bar as implemented in RTRMON
1668954092702.png

Added "kW" measurement indicators to the Large Font dashboard
1668954135240.png

Rotate Pages Option
1668954186122.png

Minor update to v1.26 to help squash some rendering problems when data occasionally becomes unavailable... Enjoy!

What's new?
v1.26 - (January 11, 2023)
- FIXED:
Minor updates to take care of some "Large Font" screen (pg 3) rendering that was happening when the script loses contact with the Powerwall Gateway. Will now show "UKN %" if the battery percentage data isn't available from the Gateway.

Download Link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/PWRMON/master/pwrmon-1.26.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/pwrmon.sh"