What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Current stats, but still no tab in the GUI of my RT-AC86U running the latest stable Merlin firmware. Don't know how to resolve this.

The WebUI requires firmware v384.15

Reactions: a5m
Current stats, but still no tab in the GUI of my RT-AC86U running the latest stable Merlin firmware. Don't know how to resolve this.
Which firmware do you run?

It's not resolvable. That feature is in the .15 alpha fw, not in the fw you are using.

Reactions: a5m
The WebUI requires firmware v384.15
Thanks for that Adamm (and others too) - at least I know it's not something I have done wrong in the installation process.

Hi,

I'm new on this forum. Found this site in my search for tips and improvements for my new AC-86U router. I bought this router because of the cpu hardware encryption (AES-NI) used by openVPN and it is actually really fast. I installed the merlin firmware as well. My dns is now encrypted with DOT and i installed Diversion for adblocking.
I'm looking forward to see the amtm and skynet integration in the GUI. If skynet and Diversion were not available for this router i would not have bought it (i'm used to work with Openwrt including all the extra packages and customizing). So thanks for making the Merling firmware, skynet and diversion!

Now i spend some time exploring Skynet. If i see the stats it seems to work fine - out of the box -. Unfortunately there is not much information about how to use it. Or at least i cannot find it :)

For now i have 2 questions. maby they are stupid but i cannot find it.
1) What source(s) are you using for the malware blocklist? Where can i see which ports are blocked by default?
2) What is the idea of IoT blockings? When is a device marked as an IoT device? Should i block IoT devices and then add custom allowed ports? I dont know

1) What source(s) are you using for the malware blocklist? Where can i see which ports are blocked by default?

If enabled, the default malware blacklists includes the following soruces;

https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/blob/master/filter.list

2) What is the idea of IoT blockings? When is a device marked as an IoT device? Should i block IoT devices and then add custom allowed ports? I dont know

The IOT blocking feature allows a user to specify specific devices that can only communicate on certain ports. Say for example you want your IP Cameras to only be accessible locally / via VPN and only allow outside connections to NTP servers for an accurate clock.

For the suggestion box or the bit bucket:

Skynet searches /tmp/mnt for conflicting scripts and to locate swap files. In my case, I have my Entware USB attached, plus a spinning hard drive I use with Samba for LAN backups of a personal PC. There are a lot of files and folders on that drive and Skynet can take a while to search this drive (especially if it was idled by the router).

For swap searches, can we limit the search depth to 2 (i.e. assume the swap is at the root of the drive)? For conflicting searches, is it safe yet to assume that Skynet has won the internet and only search during initial install and not during every start-up?

Code:
# find /tmp/mnt -maxdepth 2 -name "myswap.swp"
/tmp/mnt/apps/myswap.swp

Thanks for not hitting the "Ignore" button on me. :eek:

For swap searches, can we limit the search depth to 2 (i.e. assume the swap is at the root of the drive)?

I agree this is a good point, unfortunately the stripped down version of find included in busybox doesn't support the additional flags;

Code:
skynet@RT-AX88U-DC28:/tmp/home/root# busybox find /tmp/mnt -maxdepth 2 -name "myswap.swp"
find: unrecognized: -maxdepth
BusyBox v1.25.1 (2020-01-26 22:50:21 EST) multi-call binary.

Usage: find [-HL] [PATH]... [OPTIONS] [ACTIONS]

Search for files and perform actions on them.
First failed action stops processing of current file.
Defaults: PATH is current directory, action is '-print'

-L,-follow    Follow symlinks
    -H        ...on command line only

Actions:
    ! ACT        Invert ACT's success/failure
    ACT1 [-a] ACT2    If ACT1 fails, stop, else do ACT2
    ACT1 -o ACT2    If ACT1 succeeds, stop, else do ACT2
            Note: -a has higher priority than -o
    -name PATTERN    Match file name (w/o directory name) to PATTERN
    -iname PATTERN    Case insensitive -name
    -mtime DAYS    mtime is greater than (+N), less than (-N),
            or exactly N days in the past
If none of the following actions is specified, -print is assumed
    -print        Print file name
    -print0        Print file name, NUL terminated
    -exec CMD ARG ;    Run CMD with all instances of {} replaced by
            file name. Fails if CMD exits with nonzero

fwiw this check only happens if the post-mount entry is missing, so in 99% cases this shouldn't be an issue.

For conflicting searches, is it safe yet to assume that Skynet has won the internet and only search during initial install and not during every start-up?

Done

Last edited:
I agree this is a good point, unfortunately the stripped down version of find included in busybox doesn't support the additional flags;

fwiw this check only happens if the post-mount entry is missing, so in 99% cases this shouldn't be an issue.
Diversion installs find-utils from Entware, so I was lulled into thinking I was running the busybox version. ;)

Thanks!

Updated and my startup time dropped from about 60 seconds to 24 seconds. It does look like the hits1 and hits2 variables aren't always initialized in time during the startup.
Code:
Jan 27 14:20:05 Skynet: [#] 95654 IPs (+0) -- 1533 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [57s]
Jan 27 18:59:05 Skynet: [#] 95654 IPs (+0) -- 1533 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [59s]
Jan 28 12:01:31 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [59s]
Jan 28 13:33:08 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [64s]
Jan 28 13:38:19 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [24s]
Jan 28 13:42:35 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [23s]
Jan 28 13:51:57 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [24s]
Jan 28 14:00:16 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [27s]
Jan 28 14:05:21 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [30s]
Jan 28 14:11:02 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [28s]
Jan 28 14:12:31 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [29s]
Jan 28 14:13:39 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [28s]

Last edited:
Updated and my startup time dropped from about 60 seconds to 24 seconds. It does look like the hits1 and hits2 variables aren't always initialized in time during the startup.
Code:
Jan 27 14:20:05 Skynet: [#] 95654 IPs (+0) -- 1533 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [57s]
Jan 27 18:59:05 Skynet: [#] 95654 IPs (+0) -- 1533 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [59s]
Jan 28 12:01:31 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [59s]
Jan 28 13:33:08 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [64s]
Jan 28 13:38:19 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [24s]
Jan 28 13:42:35 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [23s]
Jan 28 13:51:57 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [24s]
Jan 28 14:00:16 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) ||  Inbound --  Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [27s]
Jan 28 14:05:21 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [30s]
Jan 28 14:11:02 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [28s]
Jan 28 14:12:31 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [29s]
Jan 28 14:13:39 Skynet: [#] 95839 IPs (+0) -- 1563 Ranges Banned (+0) || 0 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [start] [28s]

Mind sending me a copy of your syslog to investigate.

Hey guys. I'm new to Skynet. Been trying to manage my rules manually, but decided to give this a try for country blocks since I do have SSH enabled and been seeing a lot of login attempts (I use key auth only).

I'm having a bit of a learning curve here, some questions to help accelerate me:
1) How do you get a list of what is banned short of looking though the ipsets manually? Once I ban anything other than a country, I don't see those listed. Both listings for what is in the predefined lists and what I've manually added.

2) It doesn't appear that you can actually ban a range of IP, only a subnet? Meaning you have to define in CIDR notation w.x.y.x/24, etc? In IPTABLES I'm able to use "range" to specify an actual range, which is handy when doing an ipwhos to find what block a bad IP belongs in.

3) Where do the blacklists get implemented? I see in the RAW table:

Code:
admin@router-asus:/jffs/scripts# iptables --line -t raw -vnL
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 6979 packets, 2786K bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1        0     0 LOG        all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
2        0     0 DROP       all  --  br0    *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst
3      576 30051 LOG        all  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist src match-set Skynet-Master src LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
4      576 30051 DROP       all  --  eth0   *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist src match-set Skynet-Master src

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 1392 packets, 388K bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1        0     0 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
2        0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst

But where are the rules that use Skynet-Blacklist?
EDIT: Never mind I see that this list is nested inside Skynet-Master ipset.

4) Overall I don't see any good documentation for this, as to how it is actually implemented in terms of what specific methodology it uses to block and log. Short of going through the code to try to figure this all out, can someone point me to a resource?

thanks.

Last edited:
1) How do you get a list of what is banned short of looking though the ipsets manually? Once I ban anything other than a country, I don't see those listed. Both listings for what is in the predefined lists and what I've manually added.

Code:
( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall stats search manualbans ) Search For All Manual Bans

2) It doesn't appear that you can actually ban a range of IP, only a subnet? Meaning you have to define in CIDR notation w.x.y.x/24, etc? In IPTABLES I'm able to use "range" to specify an actual range, which is handy when doing an ipwhos to find what block a bad IP belongs in.

We currently only support CIDR input. You can use something like a CIDR generator if you are unfamiliar.

3) Where do the blacklists get implemented? I see in the RAW table:

Code:
admin@router-asus:/jffs/scripts# iptables --line -t raw -vnL
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 6979 packets, 2786K bytes)
num pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
1 0 0 LOG all -- br0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
2 0 0 DROP all -- br0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst
3 576 30051 LOG all -- eth0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist src match-set Skynet-Master src LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
4 576 30051 DROP all -- eth0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist src match-set Skynet-Master src

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 1392 packets, 388K bytes)
num pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
1 0 0 LOG all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst LOG flags 7 level 4 prefix "[BLOC"
2 0 0 DROP all -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 ! match-set Skynet-Whitelist dst match-set Skynet-Master dst
But where are the rules that use Skynet-Blacklist?

Skynet-Master is the "parent" table per say so it includes both Skynet-Blacklist and Skynet-BlockedRanges and saves on additional unnecessary IPTables rules.

4) Overall I don't see any good documentation for this, as to how it is actually implemented in terms of what specific methodology it uses to block and log. Short of going through the code to try to figure this all out, can someone point me to a resource?

The short version is, IP's/CIDR's are stored in IPSets for efficiency, we then use IPTables rules in the raw table (which you posted above) to first log any matching entries then block them. As for documentation, your best bet is the readme which includes all the example commands to get an idea of whats possible.

The short version is, IP's/CIDR's are stored in IPSets for efficiency, we then use IPTables rules in the raw table (which you posted above) to first log any matching entries then block them. As for documentation, your best bet is the readme which includes all the example commands to get an idea of whats possible.

Thanks, I've been figuring some stuff out as I go. Few more comments/etc from my few minutes just playing with it:
1)
Code:
Unban comment:
[Comment]:
[$] /opt/bin/firewall unban comment
=============================================================================================================
[*] Comment Field Can't Be Empty - Please Try Again
admin@router-asus:/jffs/scripts#

Don't think this error is trapping right..probably shouldn't dump right to command line?

2) Am I correct that you can't *edit* the bans (at least country) you have to wipe them all and then recreate which ones you want? Same for IP or range bans you would need to manually list them with the command line you gave me before then go back in and remove each one manually? IOW, no way to enumerate them and choose what to edit?
Why remove ALL country bans?

3) WebUI shows enabled by default on firmware that doesn't support it. This is on initial install. If you disable and then try to re-enable you get the message the firmware isn't supported.

4) Minor UI user-friendly issue. Each menu should have "e" at least printed. I went into settings initially and main menu scrolled off screen. I had no idea how to exit this menu. (obviously I figured it out in about 15 seconds, but still from a UI perspective...).

5) Stats Menu: Where are these stats being pulled from? How much of what is listed is just generic vs being pulled from the actual stats on my machine and is the time range for these (if from my machine) since last reboot? skynet restart? all-time?

EDIT: Looks like ".../skynet/skynet.log"? This is persistent across all-time?
Everything skynet blocks will go in here...only things we see in syslog.log should be what got by skynet, yes?

6) Another user-friendly issue. Would be nice if it validated country code against a list and at least *warned* that no country was listed *OR* specifically states that no data was downloaded for that country list. Type or bad memory of what the country code is seems to just give the false impression that a country is loaded when its not.

7) Any thoughts to integrating the command line options directly into UI? Obviously many of them are there already, but like the stats search command could be put in asking for input. Would prevent having to exit out of main program to search for something. Also, short of this, would you consider putting an up-to-date list of command-line examples (like those listed in post #2 of thread) in the firewall script help...or at least as a README? I could of course just cut and paste them myself from that post into a file in the skynet directory, but if you make any changes it wouldn't stay in sync.

8) Anywhere better explanation of what is in settings menu? For starters I'd like to understand the ramifications of:
- Logging vs Log Invalid packets (i.e. what's an invalid packet in this context)?
- What Ban AiProtect actually does
- What secure mode does? I found https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...urity-enhancements.16798/page-135#post-408577. So if this is enabled it is blocking my SSH access even though I configured that in my router settings?
- Syslog location. As per my above questions, trying to figure out relation betweek skynet log and syslog?
- Stats Country lookup. Is this just disabled for performance?
- How CDN whitelisting is implemented. I'm curious here why this is an option to enable/disable at this level rather than simply adding CDNs to whitelist?

Thanks again for your efforts!

Code:
( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall stats search manualbans ) Search For All Manual Bans

I think you misunderstood on this one. This command would show me all blocked connections from manualbans, right?

I'm looking for just a list of all IPs, ranges, etc that were manually added. I know I can grep out the ipset - is that the only way?

I think you misunderstood on this one. This command would show me all blocked connections from manualbans, right?

I'm looking for just a list of all IPs, ranges, etc that were manually added. I know I can grep out the ipset - is that the only way?

No this will show the last x manual bans.

Thanks, I've been figuring some stuff out as I go. Few more comments/etc from my few minutes just playing with it:
1)
Code:
Unban comment:
[Comment]:
[$] /opt/bin/firewall unban comment
=============================================================================================================
[*] Comment Field Can't Be Empty - Please Try Again
admin@router-asus:/jffs/scripts#
Don't think this error is trapping right..probably shouldn't dump right to command line?

You are using the command wrong, as per the readme;

Code:
( sh /jffs/scripts/firewall unban comment "Apples" ) This Unbans Entries With The Comment Apples

2) Am I correct that you can't *edit* the bans (at least country) you have to wipe them all and then recreate which ones you want? Same for IP or range bans you would need to manually list them with the command line you gave me before then go back in and remove each one manually? IOW, no way to enumerate them and choose what to edit?
Why remove ALL country bans?

Country bans are the only ones that are refreshed each time you input them due to the way the feature was implemented prior to Skynet using a config file.

3) WebUI shows enabled by default on firmware that doesn't support it. This is on initial install. If you disable and then try to re-enable you get the message the firmware isn't supported.

That's intentional, due to the feature being released based on an alpha firmware it would have caused more issues in the long run if we didn't have it enabled by default in the settings regardless of the firmware version. Checks within the feature will prevent it from working if its not compatible.

4) Minor UI user-friendly issue. Each menu should have "e" at least printed. I went into settings initially and main menu scrolled off screen. I had no idea how to exit this menu. (obviously I figured it out in about 15 seconds, but still from a UI perspective...).

To prevent repetitive code (and excessive menu size) we only show this option on the main menu.

5) Stats Menu: Where are these stats being pulled from? How much of what is listed is just generic vs being pulled from the actual stats on my machine and is the time range for these (if from my machine) since last reboot? skynet restart? all-time?

These stats are stored on your USB, we keep 10MB worth of logs which ends up being around a week.

6) Another user-friendly issue. Would be nice if it validated country code against a list and at least *warned* that no country was listed *OR* specifically states that no data was downloaded for that country list. Type or bad memory of what the country code is seems to just give the false impression that a country is loaded when its not.

Ideally yes, but this would then require maintaining and processing a country code list so the cost-benefit goes out the window. A quick google search will show you all the country codes.

7) Any thoughts to integrating the command line options directly into UI? Obviously many of them are there already, but like the stats search command could be put in asking for input. Would prevent having to exit out of main program to search for something. Also, short of this, would you consider putting an up-to-date list of command-line examples (like those listed in post #2 of thread) in the firewall script help...or at least as a README? I could of course just cut and paste them myself from that post into a file in the skynet directory, but if you make any changes it wouldn't stay in sync.

Every command line option has a menu equivalent, and whenever you run a menu option it will generate the equivalent command for future reference.

- Logging vs Log Invalid packets (i.e. what's an invalid packet in this context)?

Invalid packet logging logs entries deemed invalid by the routers SPI firewall.

- What Ban AiProtect actually does

This blacklists entries flagged by AiProtect

- What secure mode does? I found https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...urity-enhancements.16798/page-135#post-408577. So if this is enabled it is blocking my SSH access even though I configured that in my router settings?

This setting prevents users (and malicious parties) from exposing SSH/HTTPS to WAN which is highly insecure, it also checks for and disables backdoor access from a known exploit that targeted Asus routers a few months ago.

- Syslog location. As per my above questions, trying to figure out relation betweek skynet log and syslog?

This is for users who have a non-default syslog location (i.e Scribe users)

- Stats Country lookup. Is this just disabled for performance?

Not being enabled by default was an oversight I think, but yes this setting will slow down SSH stat generation.

- How CDN whitelisting is implemented. I'm curious here why this is an option to enable/disable at this level rather than simply adding CDNs to whitelist?

If enabled the following will be whitelisted;

Apple AS714 | Akamai AS12222 AS16625 | HighWinds AS33438 AS20446 | Fastly AS54113

I see... These are stored in skynet.ipset not the log, so they should persist even past the 10 MB log size?

We actually store these in a separate event log but correct, they are not included in the purge.