What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How "random" is this update?
I just restarted my router and five minutes later, skynet started an update.
Is this once per every 24h?

How "random" is this update?
I just restarted my router and five minutes later, skynet started an update.
Is this once per every 24h?

Once per week on a Monday.

No, I meant the banmalwarelist update.

That check is either daily or weekly depending on what you selected in the installer.

Skynet is an IP based blocking solution, not port.
Well, in GUI hit log it does shows hit based on ports, and the port I need for torrent(All torrent based transfer I use these ports). I remember long ago port whitelist was an option. So I ask here.

Yeah, I know, I selected daily.
But is that update now at a random time too?

Yes it will pick a random hour (which it already did to an extent) to distribute the load.

@Adamm - new Skynet user here. I have a question: what i should do with router's default protection like: Malicious Sites Blocking, Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention and Blocking? Turn them off? Or they work in conjunction with Skynet?

@Adamm - new Skynet user here. I have a question: what i should do with router's default protection like: Malicious Sites Blocking, Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention and Blocking? Turn them off? Or they work in conjunction with Skynet?
Skynet will import IP addresses from those AIProtection features if BanAIProtect is enabled in Skynet settings. So things that AIProtection flags will be banned in Skynet going forward.

@dave14305 I see. Thanks! But isn't that a bit excessive? Meaning i can ban them in Skynet directly as well right? Just don't want to run 2 protection services in parallel.

@dave14305 I see. Thanks! But isn't that a bit excessive? Meaning i can ban them in Skynet directly as well right? Just don't want to run 2 protection services in parallel.
AiProtection will adapt to the actual traffic coming in or out of your network. Skynet gets its ban lists from public curated lists of known malware IPs. Try both for a while before deciding.

Personally, after a long time I disabled AiProtection features completely on my router. But that's after I learned the habits of my household. :)

Do u always answer for Adamm ??
Rude if u ask me
I will agree that it is rude if you agree that directly addressing Merlin or Adamm or TheLonelyCoder is presumptuous and displaying an off-putting lack of humility

Is there a reason firehol level 1 isn’t included in the malware blocking lists by default? Thinking about adding it, but I see it’s 650 million ip’s vs 100,000. Is it too much for the hardware to process or too many false positives?

thanks for the help!

Do u always answer for Adamm ??
Rude if u ask me
I offer my input on a "follow-the-sun" basis. I expect Adamm is sleeping sometimes, so I offer my advice to help fellow members sooner instead of waiting for our busy script authors to rise and shine.

It may be off-putting to some to "barge into the conversation," but I also think it’s not realistic to expect all answers to come from only the authors. This site is a hobby for everyone.

I offer my input on a "follow-the-sun" basis. I expect Adamm is sleeping sometimes, so I offer my advice to help fellow members sooner instead of waiting for our busy script authors to rise and shine.

It may be off-putting to some to "barge into the conversation," but I also think it’s not realistic to expect all answers to come from only the authors. This site is a hobby for everyone.
I do enough end-user support in the day job, not to mention the toll writing, maintaining, and updating the scripts has. Sometimes I need downtime, and I rely and appreciate users such as yourself who step in to answer questions :)

At the risk of being thought rude, I’ll tell you that I run all those AIProtection modules as well as Skynet (and Diversion) and I have Ban AIProtect selected for the reasons already mentioned by dave14305. Very occasionally AIProtection does block something. I don’t notice any negative performance. Some forum members don’t use AIProtection , but I’m happy to continue running it along with Skynet on my RT-AC68U.