What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it normal that after updating the firmware or rebooting the router you have to reconfigure the unbound installation to get it working again?
As reported above, after rebooting the router my clients had no internet access. Running i = Update unbound Installation fixed the problem.

Not here. Unbound just seems to keep on keeping on....

It does, but it changes unbound from a recursive resolver to just another forwarder like stubby.

EDIT: with this my 2,000th post, I am now part of the furniture. Please remember me as I was, not as a nice Chesterfield or an ottoman.

Congrats @dave14305 ......I owe whatever trivial knowledge I have on these topics to you....:) Remember, Ottomans had an empire, do that would be my preferred piece of furniture.

Another stupid question for the crowd.....when Martineau updates the installer, do we need to take the path from the Github post and 're-install' or does the installer actually do that as well? (I couldn't tell)..

Edit:....seek and ye shall find.....

For those expecting amtm support soon for Unbound
The good: Unbound will make it into amtm at some point in the future.
The bad: At the moment I have to concentrate on more pressing matters regarding my own scripts, they have precedence at the moment.
I am a one man show and have only limited resources. I hope you folks understand and let me code in peace.

And I expect the hills are calling your name! (Or at least I hope they are)....haven't been to the alps in far too long....

And I expect the hills are calling your name! (Or at least I hope they are)....haven't been to the alps in far too long....
They do, but in other ways these days.

Anyone care to share their rootcanary results? I know about the deprecation of GOST and DSA but I also have RSA-MD5 not coming through....

Here is mine...... same results.

Attachments

• 7A03CEC7-4833-4B72-AD12-1A52CA5FEC6D.jpeg
    7A03CEC7-4833-4B72-AD12-1A52CA5FEC6D.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 301
First of all, thanks a lot for your time investigating this. I have copied your recommended settings for my AX88U and everything runs really nicely at lightning speed.

On a side note, before installing Unbound, every so often I used to run Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark to find out the fastest DNS servers.
Running DNS Benchmark now gives random and meaningless results, which I suppose is to be expected. But what is interesting is that the 192.168.1.1 IP (which is my router) now consistently returns the worst results of the bunch, while before Unbound it was one of the fastest, especially caching-wise. Which is a bit weird, I suppose. Unless there is some bit of configuration I have missed somewhere along the line?

Dns filter=Router ‘seems’ to break the GRC site here.
Never investigated further........:)

Dns filter=Router ‘seems’ to break the GRC site here.
Never investigated further........:)
Yes, the point of DNS benchmark is to test multiple DNS servers. If DNSFilter is set, all those tests will get redirected to the same destination. I made that mistake once. :D

Thanks for catching that! :)

Instant karma! (For being first on @Martineau's 'hall of fame'. :D

I will be editing that post later. Soon, some sleep and then a pot of coffee when I wake up. ;)
Looking forward to any changes...I made the changes for my AC86U per your input and I only notice faster speeds when surfing.

One clarification question for my RT-AC86U, the recommend value is '4096' and this can apply to both AC86U and AX88U, plus other asus routers correct?

10. edns-buffer-size:
'4096' is the RFC recommended value.

@Kingp1n, yes. For both/all routers as its, the RFC recommended value.

Not to downplay the 'safe' default that @dave14305 suggests, but we are going for speed here. ;)

For those expecting amtm support soon for Unbound
I am a one man show and have only limited resources. I hope you folks understand and let me code in peace.
[emoji1305][emoji1308][emoji1591]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Connect to DNS Server automatically --

Should this be set to "Yes" when running unbound? I can't find a reference to this in the docs or forum.

WAN->Internet Connection->WAN DNS Setting->Connect to DNS Server automatically [Yes/No]

I have always set it to "No" and used quad9 or cloudflare but not sure when running unbound.

Thanks

RE: Connect to DNS Server automatically --

Should this be set to "Yes" when running unbound? I can't find a reference to this in the docs or forum.

WAN->Internet Connection->WAN DNS Setting->Connect to DNS Server automatically [Yes/No]

I have always set it to "No" and used quad9 or cloudflare but not sure when running unbound.

Thanks

Manual, or auto are ok.
It gives your router functioning dns server/s for getting any internal stuff done, should Unbound not be ready yet. At boot up say.

Thanks for catching that! :)

Instant karma! (For being first on @Martineau's 'hall of fame'. :D

I will be editing that post later. Soon, some sleep and then a pot of coffee when I wake up. ;)

Ive gone back to 4 threads on my AC-5300. By using extended statistics I can see the load spread over Threads 0,1,2, and 3. There is no ill effects on the router and if anything a very slight performance increase over 2 threads.