What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@dave14305 kindly suggested a Hotfix, for @john9527's LTS Release,
Code:
        if [ "$(uname -o)" == "ASUSWRT-Merlin-LTS" ];then               # v1.26 HotFix @dave14305
            [ $(nvram get ntpd_server) == "0" ] && { echo -e $cBRED"\a\t[✖] ***ERROR Enable local NTP server=NO $cRESET \t\t\t\t\tsee $HTTP_TYPE://$(nvram get lan_ipaddr):$HTTP_PORT/Advanced_System_Content.asp ->Basic Config"$cRESET 2>&1; ERROR_CNT=$((ERROR_CNT + 1)); } || echo -e $cBGRE"\t[✔] Enable local NTP server=YES" 2>&1
        else
which doesn't have the required NVRAM variable as expected, so your RT-AC56U presumably doesn't have all of the latest v384.xx NVRAM variable names either.

I suspect using 'uname -o' wouldn't be useful. Can you post the output of
Code:
nvram get productid
nvram get odmpid

uname -o
Alternatively flash the unit to @john9527's LTS Release :p
productid = RT-AC56U
odmpid = RT-AC56R
uname-o = ASUSWRT-Merlin

Also, when DNSFilter is enabled, the same glitch appears (in green). It may be related to the fact that the DNSFilter was migrated to the LAN page after 384.6.

The 'ad' option is supposed to give you an idea of the impact of converting your diversion lists into Ad Block format.
i.e. My diversion 'blocklist=100,000' approx, so my 'ad' results show that perhaps due to using similar domain list sources, only a few hundred are unique to diversion.

@dave14305 was concerned that the memory consumed by unbound Ad Block lists could be worse than diversion, so caution would be advised - hence the discussion

"should someone take ownership of the current Ad Block script to give the same choice of lists as diversion"

I hear you.

Minus Diversion, I appear to have an abundance of free RAM. (Maybe because of the huge Diversion list I’m using).
Plus, I like Unbound ad blocker’s auto daily list update check, + that it appears to include the
https://hostfiles.frogeye.fr/firstparty-trackers-hosts.txt
list, (that I have custom added to Diversion).

No wrong answer really......

Having Unbound just ‘do it’ is pretty good.:)

L&LD, I have a RT-AC86U...any specific way i can test to the limits?

Refer to the first post (linked) so that the criteria are met. Then, with WinSCP and Putty open, save the file and immediately issue an 'rs' to have the .conf file checked.

Test for an extended period and keep notes before you change anything again. I kept going till I crashed the router or the internet stalled, then webby back to what works. :)

productid = RT-AC56U
odmpid = RT-AC56R
uname-o = ASUSWRT-Merlin

Also, when DNSFilter is enabled, the same glitch appears (in green). It may be related to the fact that the DNSFilter was migrated to the LAN page after 384.6.
You can check rc_support for “ntpd” before checking nvram. Or take the easy way out and remove the check since it’s not critical to unbound operation.

productid = RT-AC56U
odmpid = RT-AC56R
uname-o = ASUSWRT-Merlin

You can check rc_support for “ntpd” before checking nvram. Or take the easy way out and remove the check since it’s not critical to unbound operation.
or you could just install johns fork.

Is there a way to have a specific line always added to the unbound config every time it is built without a old config restore ? I ask this for the Plex local domain line.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

There are two of the tweaks I do not mess with. Theses are my defaults.
Code:
cache-min-ttl: 5
ip-ratelimit: 100
If I change them I have trouble with my multicast TV streaming.
+1 on this...I've been running the tweaks provided by L&LD with the above setup for RT-AC86U as 0s. Once I restart unbound, I noticed my internet slows down/GUI feels really slow/sluggish so I'm running these 2 at defaults as well. I'll continue to monitor for any slow downs/other issues.

Update...still noticing slows down,adjusting buffer size and outgoing#g TCP back to defaults.

Last edited:
Is there a way to have a specific line always added to the unbound config every time it is built without a old config restore ? I ask this for the Plex local domain line.
If we update the default unbound.conf to insert a couple include statements in the right places, we could have the equivalent of .add files in Merlin.

At the end of the server: section, we would add:
Code:
include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_srv.conf
Then at the end of the file we would add:
Code:
include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_ext.conf
And create empty files the first time so the unbound-checkconf would pass.

If the user adds lines to either of those files, they would not be overwritten by the script in future updates.

You would just need to know whether your additions need to appear under the server: section or outside the server: section.

+1 on this...I've been running the tweaks provided by L&LD with the above setup for RT-AC86U as 0s. Once I restart unbound, I noticed my internet slows down/GUI feels really slow/sluggish so I'm running these 2 at defaults as well. I'll continue to monitor for any slow downs/other issues.

Update...still noticing slows down,adjusting buffer size and outgoing#g TCP back to defaults.

Update#2, I believe the slows down might be due to the num-threads...changing it back to 1 seems everything is back to normal. I'll adjust the settings again but will keep num-threads at 1 vs 2.

Update#3, it seems my router cannot handle the tweaks....ended back to default settings. Everytime it would slow down my internet after adjusting and restarting unbound. I'll try again another day with more time changing 1 by 1.

Last edited:
If we update the default unbound.conf to insert a couple include statements in the right places, we could have the equivalent of .add files in Merlin.

At the end of the server: section, we would add:
Code:
include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_srv.conf
Then at the end of the file we would add:
Code:
include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_ext.conf
And create empty files the first time so the unbound-checkconf would pass.

If the user adds lines to either of those files, they would not be overwritten by the script in future updates.

You would just need to know whether your additions need to appear under the server: section or outside the server: section.
Thank you.... I will give it a shot [emoji16]

Thank you.... I will give it a shot [emoji16]
It’s only an idea/suggestion for now. If/Until it gets incorporated into the installer files, your unbound.conf would still get overwritten every time you choose to update. But there is a way forward. :)

It’s only an idea/suggestion for now. If/Until it gets incorporated into the installer files, your unbound.conf would still get overwritten every time you choose to update. But there is a way forward. :)
Doh.....well , I guess the files I just created will not work.....I was just thinking about how the config add lines were going to survive.

[Release] unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)
follow Martineau’s instructions linked above to update without losing your current config.
I saw that earlier. I was just thinking that other items may change in the new version config that I may not want to overwrite. For the time, I will just stick to adding private-domain: "plex.direct" to the server section. It is no big deal really but I get yelled at if I forget :)

follow Martineau’s instructions linked above to update without losing your current config.

As a suggestion an “ik” command for “install keeping unbound.conf” may be a way to incorporate this, that or ask the “Do you want to keep current unbound.conf?” question when you first hit “i”?

For the time, I will just stick to adding private-domain: "plex.direct" to the server section. It is no big deal really but I get yelled at if I forget :)

@RacerRon As I also run a Plex server and have just started playing with Unbound, what “problem” does this “solve” and what is exact line I need to add and where please?

@RacerRon As I also run a Plex server and have just started playing with Unbound, what “problem” does this “solve” and what is exact line I need to add and where please?
I have to add the line to unbound config. I put in server section right under local port list described in this post. https://www.snbforums.com/index.php?posts/544318

I also have to add the line Dave mentions in the next post down.

I have 2 Plex servers on local lan. One only gets to internet through a VPN. the other uses no VPN. There config changes allowed both servers to work on local lan. Only the non VPN server is accessible from wan.

@RacerRon thanks, I think I don’t need this as my Plex server is working fine both internally and from externally, no VPNs involved for its device.

I've had more time to test and I'm using ALL of @L&LD recommends for the AX88U. My channels change really fast so I'm cool with the changes.