What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had noticed from a month or so back that the cache hit statistics were steadily declining over time [from high seventies where it had stayed consistently before ... to low sixties] – which did not make sense in a small household where the internet usage patterns are fairly consistent.
Did you notice any slowdowns from request to request?

sgui just needs log-replies. No need to turn on log-queries for the stats, they are ignored and just fill up the disk.
Thanks for the clarification.

However, I lied about 'sgui' .....it will only auto-enable 'extended-stats: yes' for the non-graphics display cache summary, and does not alter either 'log-replies/log-queries' state.

Regarding the disk being filled, the cron housekeeping job will ensure that the unbound native log file will be reset if it exceeds 10MB.
NOTE: It is possible on a busy system for the unbound native log file to use more than 10MB as the cron job only runs once a day.

He said:
but a "PC" makes other DNS request in the background.

Thanks for that - I'm aware that a PC [in this case a laptop running Win10] does make additional DNS requests outside the 30 web pages I was calling up repeatedly. NB - you can see the change between the first and second images in my post above.

The issue is declining cache hit rates for repeating the self same DNS calls - but they should be improving.
Remember only ONE client on this router.

Did you notice any slowdowns from request to request?

Tricky to tell as I was not timing it - but since then tried again and can't notice much difference in time taken. Unbound is generally super fast anyway. I'm not sure whether it is simply a stats logic thing which changed somewhere along the way in the multitudes of updates which have taken place since inception of the script - or whether cache is not happening as it should.

NB - It was on my RT-AC86U which has had unbound installed since early release of the script [and updated many times since] - that I noticed a decline in cache hits without reboot for 36 days. That's what prompted me to create a test bed to see what was happening in a more controlled environment.

Hello and good day/night to everyone. I have been reading and following unbound for awhile now and since i haven't seen anyone else but L&LD and dave14305 post their modified configuration files for unbound i'm going to include mine if anyone is willing and interested in trying. I must add the developers involved have done a great job making unbound available for our routers. A very big Thank You...

P.S. This configuration is running smooth on my asus rt-ac3200. I also have Diversion and Skynet running aswell. Only two settings upon installation is SGUI and Fastmenu enabled, all others are skipped.

P.S.S. I'm open to opinions about this setup and ways of improving it (if necessary).

Code:
# no threads and no memory slabs for threads
num-threads: 1
msg-cache-slabs: 1
rrset-cache-slabs: 1
infra-cache-slabs: 1
key-cache-slabs: 1

# tiny memory cache
extended-statistics: yes # v1.06 Martineau for @juched GUI TAB
cache-max-ttl: 86400
cache-min-ttl: 300
key-cache-size: 50m
msg-cache-size: 50m
rrset-cache-size: 100m
minimal-responses: yes
edns-buffer-size: 1232
harden-algo-downgrade: yes
harden-dnssec-stripped: yes
harden-referral-path: yes
identity: "DNS"
unwanted-reply-threshold: 10000
use-caps-for-id: yes
hide-identity: yes
hide-version: yes
do-not-query-localhost: no
qname-minimisation: yes
harden-glue: yes
harden-below-nxdomain: yes
aggressive-nsec: yes
rrset-roundrobin: yes
do-daemonize: no
neg-cache-size: 4m
harden-large-queries: yes
harden-short-bufsize: yes
ratelimit: 1000
val-clean-additional: yes
prefetch: yes
prefetch-key: yes
serve-expired: yes
deny-any: yes
incoming-num-tcp: 10
outgoing-num-tcp: 10
outgoing-range: 950
num-queries-per-thread: 512

# prefetch

# Ensure kernel buffer is large enough to not lose messages in traffic spikes
so-rcvbuf: 1m # v1.05 Martineau see DEFAULT /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
so-sndbuf: 1m
so-reuseport: yes
Hello and good day/night to everyone. I have been reading and following unbound for awhile now and since i haven't seen anyone else but L&LD and dave14305 post their modified configuration files for unbound i'm going to include mine if anyone is willing and interested in trying. I must add the developers involved have done a great job making unbound available for our routers. A very big Thank You...

P.S. This configuration is running smooth on my asus rt-ac3200. I also have Diversion and Skynet running aswell. Only two settings upon installation is SGUI and Fastmenu enabled, all others are skipped.

P.S.S. I'm open to opinions about this setup and ways of improving it (if necessary).

Code:

# tiny memory cache
extended-statistics: yes # v1.06 Martineau for @juched GUI TAB
cache-max-ttl: 86400
cache-min-ttl: 300
minimal-responses: yes
harden-dnssec-stripped: yes
qname-minimisation: yes
harden-glue: yes
harden-below-nxdomain: yes
rrset-roundrobin: yes
neg-cache-size: 4m
val-clean-additional: yes
incoming-num-tcp: 10
outgoing-num-tcp: 10

# prefetch

# Ensure kernel buffer is large enough to not lose messages in traffic spikes
so-rcvbuf: 1m # v1.05 Martineau see DEFAULT /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
so-sndbuf: 1m
so-reuseport: yes
Hello everyone, after doing some more reading and asking for some advice i'm going to paste the changes I have made and the rest that are not visible result to being unbound default values.
Code:

# tiny memory cache / # prefetch / # gentle on recursion
extended-statistics: yes                        # v1.06 Martineau for @juched GUI TAB
max-udp-size: 1232
serve-expired-ttl: 3600

I had noticed from a month or so back that the cache hit statistics were steadily declining over time [from high seventies where it had stayed consistently before ... to low sixties] – which did not make sense in a small household where the internet usage patterns are fairly consistent.

So - I setup a factory reset router with my usual amtm add-ons – all fresh installed on a formatted USB – and then monitored unbound cache stats with only a SINGLE client PC attached to the router by Ethernet cable. I went about opening the same web pages [30 of them] repeatedly but clearing the DNS cache on the PC between each of the attempts.

After an initial modest pickup in cache hits – I found that repeated opening of the same web pages caused the cache hit stats to DECLINE ??? See images below ...
This one shows summary stats after a few browser sessions ...
View attachment 23162
This one straight after above with a single push to open those same 30 web pages.
View attachment 23163
Note %tage decline on hits from 35.75 to 30.79 ??

Full graph chart enclosed below ...
View attachment 23164
Any one else noticing a similar trend ???

similar behaviour I see at me: during the night when nobody is connected, the cache hit goes up and during the day when I am connected (home office) and children are doing learning at home the cache hit is going down (50 to 40). then again - during the night back to 50. during the night are connected mostly phones only.
thru day we are visiting near the same set of pages every day...

Hello everyone, after doing some more reading and asking for some advice i'm going to paste the changes I have made and the rest that are not visible result to being unbound default values.
Code:

# tiny memory cache / # prefetch / # gentle on recursion
extended-statistics: yes                        # v1.06 Martineau for @juched GUI TAB
max-udp-size: 1232
serve-expired-ttl: 3600
Copied your custom changes to 'opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add' then instructed my current running unbound configuration to reset using the default Github 'unbound.conf' and merge your mods....
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> i config

Retrieving Custom unbound configuration
    unbound.conf downloaded successfully
Removing 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add" from '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'
Adding 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui" to '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'
Adding 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add" to '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'

unbound-checkconf: no errors in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

Shutting down unbound...              done.
 Starting unbound...              done.

Checking status, please wait.....
    unbound cache RESTORED from '/opt/share/unbound/configs/cache.txt' (2020-04-30 15:58:21)
unbound OK

unbound (pid 21506) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:00:07 version: 1.10.0 # rgnldo Github Version=v1.09 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Thu Apr 30 15:58:25 DST 2020)

u = Push to Github PENDING for (Major) unbound_manager UPDATE v3.09 >>>> v3.08

i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')     l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                 v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
3  = Advanced Tools                                                 rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                            oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache)   s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; sgui=Install GUI TAB; s-=Disable Extended Stats)

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> ?

Version=3.09
    Local                                       md5=4eb2c63f62862389285ef44799307724
    Github                                      md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80
    /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.md5    md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=1048572 kB
    [✔] DNS Filter=ON
    [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
    [✖] Warning WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=YES        see http://10.88.8.1:80/Tools_OtherSettings.asp ->Advanced Tweaks and Hacks
    [✔] Entware NTP server is running
    [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
    [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options: Auto Reply='y' for User Selectable Options ('4') Performance Tweaks

[✔] unbound Logging (Warning; DNS Queries/Replies logging is DISABLED)
    [✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
    [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED

unbound Memory/Cache:

'key-cache-size:'   52428800 (50.00 MB)
    'msg-cache-size:'   52428800 (50.00 MB)     0% used 159819  (156.07 KB)
    'rrset-cache-size:' 104857600 (100.00 MB)   0% used 729667  (712.57 KB)

System Memory/Cache:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        255676     103488     152188          0       1588      20776
    -/+ buffers/cache:      81124     174552
    Swap:      1048572          0    1048572

About unbound: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/

SNB Forums unbound support: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/
All seems fine, although not sure how long my RT-AC68U will cope with the 200MB cache.

Copied your custom changes to 'opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add' then instructed my current running unbound configuration to reset using the default Github 'unbound.conf' and merge your mods....
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> i config

Retrieving Custom unbound configuration
    unbound.conf downloaded successfully
Removing 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add" from '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'
Adding 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.addgui" to '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'
Adding 'include: "/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add" to '/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf'

unbound-checkconf: no errors in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

Shutting down unbound...              done.
 Starting unbound...              done.

Checking status, please wait.....
    unbound cache RESTORED from '/opt/share/unbound/configs/cache.txt' (2020-04-30 15:58:21)
unbound OK

unbound (pid 21506) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 00:00:07 version: 1.10.0 # rgnldo Github Version=v1.09 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Thu Apr 30 15:58:25 DST 2020)

u = Push to Github PENDING for (Major) unbound_manager UPDATE v3.09 >>>> v3.08

i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')     l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                 v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
3  = Advanced Tools                                                 rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                            oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache)   s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; sgui=Install GUI TAB; s-=Disable Extended Stats)

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> ?

Version=3.09
    Local                                       md5=4eb2c63f62862389285ef44799307724
    Github                                      md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80
    /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.md5    md5=2c8b73813f2123f2af633214f8aa6c80

Router Configuration recommended pre-reqs status:

[✔] Swapfile=1048572 kB
    [✔] DNS Filter=ON
    [✔] DNS Filter=ROUTER
    [✖] Warning WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=YES        see http://10.88.8.1:80/Tools_OtherSettings.asp ->Advanced Tweaks and Hacks
    [✔] Entware NTP server is running
    [✔] Enable DNS Rebind protection=NO
    [✔] Enable DNSSEC support=NO

Options: Auto Reply='y' for User Selectable Options ('4') Performance Tweaks

[✔] unbound Logging (Warning; DNS Queries/Replies logging is DISABLED)
    [✔] unbound CPU/Memory Performance tweaks
    [✔] unbound-control FAST response ENABLED

unbound Memory/Cache:

'key-cache-size:'   52428800 (50.00 MB)
    'msg-cache-size:'   52428800 (50.00 MB)     0% used 159819  (156.07 KB)
    'rrset-cache-size:' 104857600 (100.00 MB)   0% used 729667  (712.57 KB)

System Memory/Cache:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        255676     103488     152188          0       1588      20776
    -/+ buffers/cache:      81124     174552
    Swap:      1048572          0    1048572

About unbound: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/about/

SNB Forums unbound support: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/unbound-authoritative-recursive-caching-dns-server.58967/
All seems fine, although not sure how long my RT-AC68U will cope with the 200MB cache.
I have an RT-AC3200 and no hiccups here. Let me know if you think anything needs adjusting.

I have an RT-AC3200 and no hiccups here. Let me know if you think anything needs adjusting.
unbound has just died....reverting back to my previous config.

Good luck.

unbound has just died....reverting back to my previous config.

Good luck.
Hmm, do you by chance have DNS firewall running? I also noticed you have this setting :
[✖] Warning WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=YES.
Don't know why your unbound has stopped but i have this same config running on atleast 5 other routers.

Edit: I can reproduce the error and it has to do with logging. If i enable logging (lo) unbound dies, then i restart unbound and disable logging (lx) everything remains stable. Not sure what's going on with the logging. I'm personally going to disable logging for now.

Edit#2: Just ran sgui to see incase of an update, enabled logging and all is good.

Last edited:
i am using logging on AX88u and never had problem with unbound like this ...

That is not correct at all - a successful installation of Unbound overrides this setting. When Unbound is stopped either accidentally or commanded then this setting will allow successful resolving to your ISP's DNS servers. The problem with MartinDEE is presumably tied to the fact that his NTP server is non functional and NTP is not synced. Fix that first before you look further.
Install NTPMerlin using amtm and hopefully that will fix your NTP issue.

Thank you will try this tonight and will get back to you

Hmm, do you by chance have DNS firewall running? I also noticed you have this setting :
[✖] Warning WAN: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver=YES.
Don't know why your unbound has stopped but i have this same config running on atleast 5 other routers.

Edit: I can reproduce the error and it has to do with logging. If i enable logging (lo) unbound dies, then i restart unbound and disable logging (lx) everything remains stable. Not sure what's going on with the logging. I'm personally going to disable logging for now.

Edit#2: Just ran sgui to see incase of an update, enabled logging and all is good.
So I rebooted, and decided to retest.

So I manually enforce logging by using 'vx' ; then I use 'rs' to restart unbound.

I leave everything for 10 mins, and all looks good, so I use 'l' to watch the log - again all looks good for 10 mins.

However, when I CTRL-C to terminate the log watch ...guess what... unbound suddenly goes AWOL.:confused:

Strange...until I notice you have included !!!!??? :eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Code:
then it all clicked.

PEBKAC :mad::mad:

For anyone running Unbound and Adoptive QoS + FreshJR. I have added a rule for Unbound router IP with Port 53535 and assigned it to Web Surfing Class. That made a noticeable difference in streaming (SmartTV) and browsing. My guess is that the default for DNS traffic was assigned to Net Control with lower priority. Try it out.

For anyone running Unbound and Adoptive QoS + FreshJR. I have added a rule for Unbound router IP with Port 53535 and assigned it to Web Surfing Class. That made a noticeable difference in streaming (SmartTV) and browsing. My guess is that the default for DNS traffic was assigned to Net Control with lower priority. Try it out.
53535 is only used on the loopback address 127.0.0.1, so it should not be subject to any QoS at all. Outbound traffic from the router on port 53 is already whitelisted in the built-in FreshJR rules in the OUTPUT chain.

I've uploaded v3.09

Version=3.09
Github md5=4bd9b8ad9059d14720c72952752cc67d

use 'u' to update when prompted on screen

Use of the 'i = Update unbound Installation' **Not required**

Code:
FIX:    Always explicitly DISABLE the default 'verbosity: 1' logging after the unbound install (if not requested/desired)
        Basically the 'verbosity:' directive is now always uncommented in 'unbound.conf' and explicitly set to either '0' or '1' (or the user specified log-level)
FIX:    Command line 'config=' does not validate full pathname
CHANGE: Command line 'recovery' directive to accommodate above changes, and improve the recovery process to disable addons.
CHANGE: Correct/remove redundant variables and reorder menu selection items to ensure 'generics' do not pre-empt specific commands
CHANGE: Advanced menu 'lo [log_level]' now optionally allows setting the desired increased logging level (2-5), and the current log level is now displayed on screen and in the log.
e.g. set logging level '3' (debug but dumps this line....'cache memory msg=125423 rrset=520300 infra=88944 val=45913' at regular intervals - as previously stated could be another useful graphical trending metric?)
Code:

<snip>

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> lo 3

unbound logging (Loglevel=3) ENABLED

/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.log (Loglevel=3)       Press CTRL-C to stop

Apr 30 14:52:30 unbound[16660:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 time.cloudflare.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 93
Apr 30 14:52:30 unbound[16660:0] info: control cmd:  verbosity 0
Apr 30 14:52:32 unbound_manager: 'lx':  =================================================================================== Stopped
Apr 30 14:53:01 unbound_manager: 'lo':  =================================================================================== Started Loglevel=3
Apr 30 14:53:02 unbound[16660:0] debug: new control connection from 127.0.0.1 port 37333
Apr 30 14:53:02 unbound[16660:0] info: control cmd:  set_option verbosity 3
Apr 30 14:53:05 unbound[16660:0] query: 127.0.0.1 cdn.samsungcloudsolution.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:53:05 unbound[16660:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 cdn.samsungcloudsolution.com. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 165

<snip>

Apr 30 14:54:07 unbound[16660:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 lcprd1.samsungcloudsolution.net. A IN NXDOMAIN 0.000000 1 49
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] query: 127.0.0.1 cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: respip operate: query cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: validator[module 1] operate: extstate:module_state_initial event:module_event_pass
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: validator operate: query cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: iterator[module 2] operate: extstate:module_state_initial event:module_event_pass
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 2):  cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 3):  cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: processQueryTargets: cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: removing 3 labels
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: new target ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: new target ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: sending query: cms.msn.com. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: sending to target: <msn.com.> 13.107.24.205#53
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: iterator[module 2] operate: extstate:module_state_initial event:module_event_pass
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: iterator operate: query ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 2):  ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 3):  ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: processQueryTargets: ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: removing 2 labels
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: sending query: com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: sending to target: <msft.info.> 40.90.4.4#53
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: iterator operate: query ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 2):  ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: resolving (init part 3):  ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: processQueryTargets: ns2-205.msn.com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: removing 2 labels
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: sending query: com.msftnet.org. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: sending to target: <msftnet.org.> 13.107.24.7#53
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] reply: 127.0.0.1 cdn.content.prod.cms.msn.com. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 153
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: iterator[module 2] operate: extstate:module_wait_reply event:module_event_reply
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: iterator operate: query ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: response for ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: reply from <msft.info.> 40.90.4.4#53
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: query response was nodata ANSWER
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: processQueryTargets: ns1-205.msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: removing 1 labels
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] info: sending query: msn.com.msft.info. A IN
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: sending to target: <msft.info.> 13.107.160.4#53
Apr 30 14:54:08 unbound[16660:0] debug: cache memory msg=125423 rrset=520300 infra=88944 val=45913

Last edited:
Should unbound restart automatically after a reboot? (Does it depend on ntpd being at the correct time)

Edit: As I’m having to start it up manually at times even after waiting 10 mins for the router to settle

Last edited:
similar behaviour I see at me: during the night when nobody is connected, the cache hit goes up and during the day when I am connected (home office) and children are doing learning at home the cache hit is going down (50 to 40). then again - during the night back to 50. during the night are connected mostly phones only.
thru day we are visiting near the same set of pages every day...

OK - so it sounds like cache hit levels no longer in the upper seventies - as they were when unbound first made available.
If cache hits are now regularly in the 40 to 50 % mark ... some logic must have changed in the stats being presented.

I will chill out and simply dump the webui stats page - really no point tracking if cache hits relatively insignificant.
thnx.

Installed the 3.09 update, which appears to be working fine, though see the following when loading from amtm or through the console directly:
Code:
+======================================================================+
|  Welcome to the unbound Manager/Installation script (Asuswrt-Merlin) |
|                                                                      |
|                      Version 3.09 by Martineau                       |
|                                                                      |
+======================================================================+[: bad number