What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Beat me to it, I was going to recommend:

Code:
opkg remove libunbound-light --force-depends && opkg install libunbound
rather that having to reinstall unbound altogether. I was noticing the conflict for unbound-checkconf.
Was surprised when it became 'libunbound-light' at the last package update (from 1.9.6 was it?), just looks like we're back to 'libunbound' again now :)
Nice solution, thank you. :)

Unbound is working OK again in a RT-AX88U after upgrading Entware packages.

Code:
rather that having to reinstall unbound altogether. I was noticing the conflict for unbound-checkconf.
Was surprised when it became 'libunbound-light' at the last package update (from 1.9.6 was it?), just looks like we're back to 'libunbound' again now :)

Total noob to linux here, so I have to ask, will this break anything else? Also, so I just type this in putty once I login, or do I open amtm->unbound and then type it? Thanks!

Total noob to linux here, so I have to ask, will this break anything else? Also, so I just type this in putty once I login, or do I open amtm->unbound and then type it? Thanks!
If you've got unbound and its associated files on the older version 1.10 and you upgrade the packages as entware recommends, unfortunately libunbound-light will be left behind on this old version. Unbound requires libunbound to be at the same, newer version of 1.11 (in order to make sense of your unbound config file) so this command forcefully removes that particular package and installs the new one (the problem is that they have slightly different names). Enter the command without being on the amtm or unbound_manager prompts, but probably best to enter it after doing the amtm ep upgrade.

In short:
  1. amtm;
  2. check for updates with u;
  3. see that there are updates and allow them;
  4. notice that unbound isn't happy;
  5. exit amtm to the normal prompt;
  6. paste or enter the above command;
  7. unbound is now happy again (unbound may need a restart? but not a reinstall) ;) Not sure if it will let you restart through the amtm > unbound menu, but this can be done with the command
Code:
unbound_manager advanced
followed by
Code:
rs

won't break anything else as libunbound is only used by...unbound ;)

Was having the libunbound-light issue today after entware updates. Info here helped me fix it. Thanks all...

If you've got unbound and its associated files on the older version 1.10 and you upgrade the packages as entware recommends, unfortunately libunbound-light will be left behind on this old version. Unbound requires libunbound to be at the same, newer version of 1.11 (in order to make sense of your unbound config file) so this command forcefully removes that particular package and installs the new one (the problem is that they have slightly different names). Enter the command without being on the amtm or unbound_manager prompts, but probably best to enter it after doing the amtm ep upgrade.

In short:
  1. amtm;
  2. check for updates with u;
  3. see that there are updates and allow them;
  4. notice that unbound isn't happy;
  5. exit amtm to the normal prompt;
  6. paste or enter the above command;
  7. unbound is now happy again (unbound may need a restart? but not a reinstall) ;) Not sure if it will let you restart through the amtm > unbound menu, but this can be done with the command
Code:
unbound_manager advanced
followed by
Code:
rs

won't break anything else as libunbound is only used by...unbound ;)

Thank you good sir or madam! Everything seems to be working great again!!
and thank you for making it easy for people like me :)

Thank you good sir or madam! Everything seems to be working great again!!
and thank you for making it easy for people like me :)
Just updated entware and unbound_manager 3.19 does not let me do anything anymore.
I have this error when doing unbound_manager command
unbound-checkconf: error while loading shared libraries: libevent-2.1.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. Please help

Code:

Thank you @bluzfanmr1 for the solution and @Linux_Chemist for easy command line.

Code:

Thank you! It works!

Hi Martineau

Having issues getting my page tabs loaded in Addons - Tabs are missing and the following common errors occur in SpdMerlin UIDivStats and also Unbound stats tab.

sed: can't move '/tmp/menuTree.jsAN9cmi' to '/tmp/menuTree.js': Device or resource busy
sed: can't move '/tmp/menuTree.jsp6ey2t' to '/tmp/menuTree.js': Device or resource busy

Any idea how to overcome this error and get my tabs back? Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and also tried to delete /tmp/menuTree.js but i cant seem to delete it.

PS- A Router reboot fixed it !!!

Last edited:
heyy after updating entware packages i get this error in unbound.

Error:

Segmentation fault

Segmentation fault

***ERROR INVALID unbound configuration - use option 'vx' to correct 'unbound.conf' or 'rl' to load a valid configuration file

or 'e' exit; then issue debug command

unbound -dv

Ps: After i uninstalled unbound and used this code:

and reinstalled it works now thanks ;-)

Last edited:
Sorry all...stupid question but I've tried all other methods I know (including removing the entry from the cron job file but.....

The urlhaus file update (15min) when I installed the unbound firewall still persists even when uninstalled. Some how it always finds a way back! I would love to exorcise it permamently. (@juched)

Sorry all...stupid question but I've tried all other methods I know (including removing the entry from the cron job file but.....

The urlhaus file update (15min) when I installed the unbound firewall still persists even when uninstalled. Some how it always finds a way back! I would love to exorcise it permamently. (@juched)
Are you saying you uninstall Unbound or uninstall dns firewall?

Are you saying you uninstall Unbound or uninstall dns firewall?

Simply uninstalling the firewall....unbound is still operational. Granted I was an early adopter of your firewall so I used the early script.....

Simply uninstalling the firewall....unbound is still operational. Granted I was an early adopter of your firewall so I used the early script.....

Try running:
Code:
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh uninstall

That should remove the cron and startup script.

It should no longer show in "cru l" command or inside the " /jffs/scripts/services-start " file.

what configurations do i have to take to use ipv6 with unbound? Can i use the router dns or do i need other dns server ?

Try running:
Code:
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh uninstall

That should remove the cron and startup script.

It should no longer show in "cru l" command or inside the " /jffs/scripts/services-start " file.

Thank you....seems to have done the trick!

Run unbound -V to see if libevent is linked.
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 384.19_0 Fri Aug 14 19:20:07 UTC 2020
thunder@RT-AX88U-90F0:/tmp/home/root# unbound -V
Version 1.11.0

Configure line: --target=aarch64-openwrt-linux --host=aarch64-openwrt-linux --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --prefix=/opt --exec-prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin --sbindir=/opt/sbin --libexecdir=/opt/lib --sysconfdir=/opt/etc --datadir=/opt/share --localstatedir=/opt/var --mandir=/opt/man --infodir=/opt/info --disable-nls --disable-dsa --disable-gost --enable-allsymbols --enable-ecdsa --enable-tfo-client --enable-tfo-server --with-libexpat=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-ssl=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-user=unbound --with-run-dir=/opt/var/lib/unbound --with-conf-file=/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf --with-pidfile=/opt/var/run/unbound.pid --enable-ipset --with-libmnl=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --enable-event-api --with-libevent=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-pthreads
Linked libs: pluggable-libevent 2.1.11-stable (it uses epoll), OpenSSL 1.1.1g 21 Apr 2020
Linked modules: dns64 ipset respip validator iterator
TCP Fastopen feature available

BSD licensed, see LICENSE in source package for details.
Report bugs to unbound-bugs@nlnetlabs.nl or https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues
thunder@RT-AX88U-90F0:/tmp/home/root#
yea! mine says something about a subnetting cache, but other than that things look pretty normalish.
Code:
 unbound -V
Version 1.11.0

Configure line: --target=aarch64-openwrt-linux --host=aarch64-openwrt-linux --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --prefix=/opt --exec-prefix=/opt --bindir=/opt/bin --sbindir=/opt/sbin --libexecdir=/opt/lib --sysconfdir=/opt/etc --datadir=/opt/share --localstatedir=/opt/var --mandir=/opt/man --infodir=/opt/info --disable-nls --disable-dsa --disable-gost --enable-allsymbols --enable-ecdsa --enable-tfo-client --enable-tfo-server --with-libexpat=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-ssl=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-user=unbound --with-run-dir=/opt/var/lib/unbound --with-conf-file=/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf --with-pidfile=/opt/var/run/unbound.pid --enable-ipset --with-libmnl=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --enable-event-api --with-libevent=/media/ware4/Entware.2020.09/staging_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_glibc-2.27/opt --with-pthreads 
Linked libs: libevent 2.1.12-stable (it uses epoll), OpenSSL 1.1.1g  21 Apr 2020
Linked modules: dns64 python subnetcache respip validator iterator

BSD licensed, see LICENSE in source package for details.
Report bugs to unbound-bugs@nlnetlabs.nl or https://github.com/NLnetLabs/unbound/issues

I thought I would try the command above. Here's what I got:

admin@RT-AC86U-1BD0:/tmp/home/root# unbound -v
[1600263847] unbound[4663:0] notice: Start of unbound 1.11.0.
Sep 16 07:44:07 unbound[4663:0] error: can't bind socket: Address already in use for 127.0.0.1 port 953
Sep 16 07:44:07 unbound[4663:0] error: cannot open control interface 127.0.0.1 953
Sep 16 07:44:07 unbound[4663:0] fatal error: could not open ports

I presume this is not a good thing. How do I fix it? Could this be the reason that sometimes when I go to a new webpage that it literally takes 5-10 seconds to get a response?