What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.0 -Jul 10, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looking good @Viktor Jaep, congratulations!
Broke my own “rules” and installed 1.5 remotely … no issues to report.
Will test further when I get home and able to “WAN Down” a few times :)
Keen to buy you a Coffee but unsure about feeding my credit card details into a random website … is PayPal an option somehow?

Looking good @Viktor Jaep, congratulations!
Broke my own “rules” and installed 1.5 remotely … no issues to report.
Will test further when I get home and able to “WAN Down” a few times :)
Keen to buy you a Coffee but unsure about feeding my credit card details into a random website … is PayPal an option somehow?
Glad to hear all is well, Steve. I actually tried the modem down/isp down scenario ONE LAST TIME early this morning before the family woke up... all went well, and decided to bite the bullet and publish. ;)

Thanks for wanting to donate, Steve... but truly not necessary. I am humbled knowing there's others out there (like you) who are using this.

Hi @Viktor Jaep , this seems a very very nice project, congrats! I'm using Surfshark VPN, and I was looking for a way to daily switch to fastest server (as well as whitelist it on skynet).
Any way of doing this with your script (vpnon or vpnmon) even I have to do some changes?

Would like to know your advice on this.

Cheers

Hi @Viktor Jaep , this seems a very very nice project, congrats! I'm using Surfshark VPN, and I was looking for a way to daily switch to fastest server (as well as whitelist it on skynet).
Any way of doing this with your script (vpnon or vpnmon) even I have to do some changes?

Would like to know your advice on this.

Cheers
So I have some good news and bad news... ;)

Good news:
1.) Apparently they have an API that allows me to pull information from, like NordVPN -- this is GREAT news.
2.) I already have a working proof of concept that is able to pull all the Surfshark server names for a specific country, sort them by load, and choose the server with the lowest load.
3.) This would also give me the functionality to check on the server load periodically, and jump to a different server if the load gets too high.
4.) This also gives me the ability to give you a SuperRandomSurfShark capability, where I could randomly populate your VPN slots with random server names across the country, and have it randomly pick one of these... this is my preferred setup that I use for NordVPN as well.

Bad news:
1.) Surfshark does not provide the actual IP addresses for their server names. They just provide hostnames. Unfortunately Skynet requires a list of IP addresses in order to whitelist them... as a workaround, I could probably do a nslookup on the hostname, and whitelist that.

Good news about the Bad news:
1.) But the good news here, is you can probably just whitelist the "surfshark.com" domain, and it should whitelist any and all Surfshark VPN servers. Firewall -> Option 4 -> Option 2

After I get this all working from the programming end... you would just need to make sure each of your VPN slots you wish to use for connections/randomizations are all set up identically per your Surfshark config... What VPNMON-R2 would do is change your VPN Client# "server address" to a random Surfshark host name based on load.

But yeah, this is entirely possible! If you're cool with that, I'll start working on trying to make VPNMON-R2 Surfshark compatible! :)

Last edited:
Love it when there is 'good news about the bad news'. :D

Love it when there is 'good news about the bad news'. :D
It's actually all pretty good news overall. I love it when VPN providers give us an API to work with. ;)

So I have some good news and bad news... ;)

Good news:
1.) Apparently they have an API that allows me to pull information from, like NordVPN -- this is GREAT news.
2.) I already have a working proof of concept that is able to pull all the Surfshark server names for a specific country, sort them by load, and choose the server with the lowest load.
3.) This would also give me the functionality to check on the server load periodically, and jump to a different server if the load gets too high.
4.) This also gives me the ability to give you a SuperRandomSurfShark capability, where I could randomly populate your VPN slots with random server names across the country, and have it randomly pick one of these... this is my preferred setup that I use for NordVPN as well.

Bad news:
1.) Surfshark does not provide the actual IP addresses for their server names. They just provide hostnames. Unfortunately Skynet requires a list of IP addresses in order to whitelist them... as a workaround, I could probably do a nslookup on the hostname, and whitelist that.

Good news about the Bad news:
1.) But the good news here, is you can probably just whitelist the "surfshark.com" domain, and it should whitelist any and all Surfshark VPN servers. Firewall -> Option 4 -> Option 2

After I get this all working from the programming end... you would just need to make sure each of your VPN slots you wish to use for connections/randomizations are all set up identically per your Surfshark config... What VPNMON-R2 would do is change your VPN Client# "server address" to a random Surfshark host name based on load.

But yeah, this is entirely possible! If you're cool with that, I'll start working on trying to make VPNMON-R2 Surfshark compatible! :)

Damn you were fast :) Of course I'm cool with that, thanks Viktor! If you need anything from me, I'll DM you a telegram id.

Thanks!

Damn you were fast :) Of course I'm cool with that, thanks Viktor! If you need anything from me, I'll DM you a telegram id.

Thanks!
I'll let you know when I'm getting closer. I'll probably need to subscribe to Surfshark for a month just to make sure everything works. Lol.

For any of you SurfShark VPN users out there... I've published a new beta that provides most of the same capabilities for SurfShark VPN within VPNMON-R2 that NordVPN users were enjoying up to now:

(1) Randomly connect to one of your VPN slots at a regularly scheduled time (standard, out-of-the-box stuff)
(2) SuperRandom functionality that will populate your VPN slots with random servers in your selected country
(3) Multi-country capable where SuperRandom will pick one of up to 3 of your selected countries, randomly fill your slots with servers from that country and connect to a random one
(4) VPNMON-R2 will keep an eye on the SurfShark server load, and reconnect to another server if it exceeds your set threshold... and of course, showing all the same stats we've all gotten so accustomed to! ;)

Would love SurfShark user feedback! :)

Installer:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.6b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Other items added since v1.5:
* ADDED: A log rotation option has been added to the -config, which allows you to specify how large you would like your VPNMON-R2.log file to get before it starts trimming it down. Default will be 1000 lines, which should give you several weeks worth of data to sift through.
* CHANGED: Reworked the script -update function to exit to the -config menu, rather than running the script using the -monitor function. The thinking is people would rather run through the -config immediately after due to potentially new functionality that would need to be enabled/disabled.
* FIXED: the VPN reset date/time counter wasn't resetting after a WAN failure, and now accurately reflects when the VPN was last reset.

Last edited:
For any of you SurfShark VPN users out there... I've published a new beta that provides most of the same capabilities for SurfShark VPN within VPNMON-R2 that NordVPN users were enjoying up to now:

(1) Randomly connect to one of your VPN slots at a regularly scheduled time (standard, out-of-the-box stuff)
(2) SuperRandom functionality that will populate your VPN slots with random servers in your selected country
(3) Multi-country capable where SuperRandom will pick one of up to 3 of your selected countries, randomly fill your slots with servers from that country and connect to a random one
(4) VPNMON-R2 will keep an eye on the SurfShark server load, and reconnect to another server if it exceeds your set threshold... and of course, showing all the same stats we've all gotten so accustomed to! ;)

Would love SurfShark user feedback! :)

Installer:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.6b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Other items added since v1.5:
* ADDED: A log rotation option has been added to the -config, which allows you to specify how large you would like your VPNMON-R2.log file to get before it starts trimming it down. Default will be 1000 lines, which should give you several weeks worth of data to sift through.
* CHANGED: Reworked the script -update function to exit to the -config menu, rather than running the script using the -monitor function. The thinking is people would rather run through the -config immediately after due to potentially new functionality that would need to be enabled/disabled.
* FIXED: the VPN reset date/time counter wasn't resetting after a WAN failure, and now accurately reflects when the VPN was last reset.
Well done!

Serious offer, if you'd like to take over/merge vpnmgr into VPNMON then I'd be happy for you to do that. I just don't have the time (or the energy :( ) to devote to my addons anymore outside of critical fixes
Thanks very much for the offer, Jack. That's some serious responsibility, and your work is still light-years ahead of my stuff, and my level of understanding. I will definitely take it under consideration.

I hear that’s going around…
They say at some point the well does run dry. I think those asking for above and beyond features that are past the point of fixing critical issues should remember that the developers are also self taught users of the forum and that there is nothing preventing other users from picking up the learning torch to submit a pull request.

Pleased to announce a new release!

v1.6 - (May 23, 2022)
* SIGNIFICANT: Added capabilities for SurfShark VPN services on VPNMON-R2! This is basically a duplication of the capabilities that NordVPN users got to enjoy. You can randomly connect to one of your VPN slots at a scheduled time, use SurfShark SuperRandom functionality where it will pick random servers for you across your country and configure those in your VPN slots, then randomly connect to one. Also, you can choose up to 3 countries to randomly draw from under SuperRandom mode. Looking for feedback from SurfShark users. :) -- thanks for the suggestion, @Phk!

Installer:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Pleased to announce a new release!

v1.6 - (May 23, 2022)
* SIGNIFICANT: Added capabilities for SurfShark VPN services on VPNMON-R2! This is basically a duplication of the capabilities that NordVPN users got to enjoy. You can randomly connect to one of your VPN slots at a scheduled time, use SurfShark SuperRandom functionality where it will pick random servers for you across your country and configure those in your VPN slots, then randomly connect to one. Also, you can choose up to 3 countries to randomly draw from under SuperRandom mode. Looking for feedback from SurfShark users. :) -- thanks for the suggestion, @Phk!

Installer:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.6.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"
seems to be running quite well with my surfshark vpn.... hope you continue support for this. i like randomization. Thanks @Phk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!