What's new

[RELEASE] WXMON v1.1.4 -Feb 7, 2024- Localized Weather Monitoring, extended forecasts, including aviation METARs and TAFs! (US/Global!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PRESRR or PRESFR in METAR trigger alerts?

Idk, you saw an air plane or two went down.

Guys, give me few days. The new plane arrived in perfect shape! The previous owner told me it wasn't used in last 20 years due to COVID. This global pandemic messed up a lot of things... It's like brand new, excellent deal. I just need to check the spark plugs and I'm ready to resume WXMON testing.

1676419834712.png

P.S. Can I use WD-40 on the elevators? They are squeaking a bit. I used garage door grease on the previous plane, but WD-40 may be better?

Yeah, but how about for people that don't know how to read METARs... lol ;)
Everybody should take PPL ground school...ESPECIALLY nervous flyers.
And don't get me started on the drone operators who think they're Top Gun material...see how well they can handle a fully-developed spin...

Guys, give me few days. The new plane arrived in perfect shape! The previous owner told me it wasn't used in last 20 years due to COVID. This global pandemic messed up a lot of things... It's like brand new, excellent deal. I just need to check the spark plugs and I'm ready to resume WXMON testing.

View attachment 47969

P.S. Can I use WD-40 on the elevators? They are squeaking a bit. I used garage door grease on the previous plane, but WD-40 may be better?
Looks like that thing could use a couple of RTRHTR's... ;)

@Viktor Jaep, tomorrow 11AM, Hamilton International airport. I'll stop by Canada Computers on the way to get some Asus avionics. Bring your USB stick, please. Get a can with WD-40 because @heysoundude didn't reply. If he brings one more we can spray the right side elevators as well. International airport because I have 78 more pages to read, something about Landing. It's getting late - tomorrow after take off. May need some space.

P.S. How's your Spanish? The airplane arrived from Colombia and the Manual is in Spanish. I understand most of it including flying over water, but not sure what they mean by "mantener la cocaína seca". It's pretty advanced, actually. They even talk about DFS channels - "evitar las estaciones de radar".

@Viktor Jaep, tomorrow 11AM, Hamilton International airport. I'll stop by Canada Computers on the way to get some Asus avionics. Bring your USB stick, please. Get a can with WD-40 because @heysoundude didn't reply. If he brings one more we can spray the right side elevators as well. International airport because I have 78 more pages to read, something about Landing. It's getting late - tomorrow after take off. May need some space.

P.S. How's your Spanish? The airplane arrived from Colombia and the Manual is in Spanish. I understand most of it including flying over water, but not sure what they mean by "mantener la cocaína seca". It's pretty advanced, actually. They even talk about DFS channels - "evitar las estaciones de radar".
I know you've got this, @Tech9! Never thought I'd see Asus hardware and WD-40 make an aircraft airworthy, yet here we are. ;)

Do you want to come with me, @heysoundude? Lets make history! And don't worry - I'm reading the Manual at the moment. Nothing interesting there. Half of the switches they are talking about are missing anyway. Do you have a can of DW-40, by the way? Home Hardware had none.
For you @Tech9 , I've a can of this and I think it may be aviation approved...I'd check if I were you. Transport Canada can dffer a bit from elsewhere.

Thanks for your time to make the script but why will someone ssh to the router to check the weather?
Great question! There's actually 4 good reasons why...

1.) Because the impossible is possible on Asus-Merlin Firmware.

2.) Because we could.

3.) Because I love weather.

4.) Because it's faster than anything else... for instance, is it quicker to:

Option 1
a. open up Chrome
b. type https://wunderground.com
c. wait for it and all the ads to load
d. go up to the search bar and type in your locale
e. interpolate a fancy graph like a weather scientist?
f. plus, google and a host of other shady companies are probably tracking you throughout this whole process

-or-

Option 2
a. from your SSH window type:
Code:
wxmon

And pressing "M" will give you even more plain-language weather info, in the easy-to-understand words of a weathercaster. ;)

For those following my little pet project... here's a new version of WXMON! My big push here was to eliminate the necessity to use an API key to pull weather... so I sleuthed around and found some good weather API's that are completely free! Please note, they will give you a few thousand attempts per day before they require you to start paying, but I think we can all stay under these limitations. I'm awaiting with baited breath to see if this will now work for @Stephen Harrington! ;)

What's new?
v0.2b - (February 21, 2023)
* ADDED:
I incorporated a new option that lets you pick between the current US-based weather service, as well as a Global weather service. I found another API that lets you pull global weather info without the need of an API key, however each has their plusses and minuses. US-based weather is a only 3-day forecast, but has a user-friendly expanded forecast, but it gives much more richer content. The global-based weather is a 7-day forecast, does not have expanded weather, and uses more of the standard data elements. The global weather does give you an option between using Imperial or Metric units of measurement, found in the config menu.
* CHANGED: Made a big change in the aviation weather service, and will no longer need an API key to retrieve the METAR/TAF information. You can still enable/disable the aviation weather, and pick your preferred station/airport. This *should* work globally. Please let me know if you run into any problems, and I will dive into it!

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.2b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

New config options - please note -- NO API key required :p
wxmon-0.2-setup.png

Global weather data... optional in Imperial or Metric units. Why? Because we can!
wxmon-0.2-3.png

Great question! There's actually 4 good reasons why...

1.) Because the impossible is possible on Asus-Merlin Firmware.

2.) Because we could.

3.) Because I love weather.

4.) Because it's faster than anything else... for instance, is it quicker to:

Option 1
a. open up Chrome
b. type https://wunderground.com
c. wait for it and all the ads to load
d. go up to the search bar and type in your locale
e. interpolate a fancy graph like a weather scientist?
f. plus, google and a host of other shady companies are probably tracking you throughout this whole process

-or-

Option 2
a. from your SSH window type:
Code:
wxmon

And pressing "M" will give you even more plain-language weather info, in the easy-to-understand words of a weathercaster. ;)
option 2 assumes the SSH window is already open ;-) plus step c should not mention ads because everyone runs Diversion or AdguardHome right? ;-)

I would like to throw in Option 4, Open Chrome and 1 click to Home Assistant

1677030822319.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!