What's new

[RELEASE] WXMON v1.1.4 -Feb 7, 2024- Localized Weather Monitoring, extended forecasts, including aviation METARs and TAFs! (US/Global!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those following my little pet project... here's a new version of WXMON! My big push here was to eliminate the necessity to use an API key to pull weather... so I sleuthed around and found some good weather API's that are completely free! Please note, they will give you a few thousand attempts per day before they require you to start paying, but I think we can all stay under these limitations. I'm awaiting with baited breath to see if this will now work for @Stephen Harrington! ;)

What's new?
v0.2b - (February 21, 2023)
* ADDED:
I incorporated a new option that lets you pick between the current US-based weather service, as well as a Global weather service. I found another API that lets you pull global weather info without the need of an API key, however each has their plusses and minuses. US-based weather is a only 3-day forecast, but has a user-friendly expanded forecast, but it gives much more richer content. The global-based weather is a 7-day forecast, does not have expanded weather, and uses more of the standard data elements. The global weather does give you an option between using Imperial or Metric units of measurement, found in the config menu.
* CHANGED: Made a big change in the aviation weather service, and will no longer need an API key to retrieve the METAR/TAF information. You can still enable/disable the aviation weather, and pick your preferred station/airport. This *should* work globally. Please let me know if you run into any problems, and I will dive into it!

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.2b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

New config options - please note -- NO API key required :p
View attachment 48131

Global weather data... optional in Imperial or Metric units. Why? Because we can!
View attachment 48132
It is working great so far.... I haven't pushed the envelope to see when I will have to pay yet. It might take me a while to reach a few thousand. I might be able to achieve it quicker with loop or a xargs pipe.

I love the terminal graphics though. It is taking terminal to the next level for sure.

I take it home because the door doesn't close. @Viktor Jaep had to hold it during WXMON test flight last week.
Yeah, and when you hold it out of the window, it acts as a spare airfoil! Never know when you might need an extra wing with these ancient relics that @Tech9 likes to fly! Lol.

Yeah, and when you hold it out of the window, it acts as a spare airfoil! Never know when you might need an extra wing with these ancient relics that @Tech9 likes to fly! Lol.
airfoil, speedbrake...<shrug>

Hey @Viktor Jaep, we can do WXMON flight testing again next week!

Just got back from the airport with Safety Certificate in my hands! The authorities did not like the duct tape holding that overhead control panel (the one with many lights and switches we were wondering about) and the missing floor panel (the hole we were looking through how landing gear retracts). The inspector said we can safely operate the aircraft, but we need to wear hard hats and safety shoes (got some from Dollar Tree on my way back today). I got lucky the inspector did not see the missing engine mount bolt (the one that fell off on the previous flight). By the way, the missing window arrived from a store called Facebook Marketplace. Very good store. They even have similar altimeter to the one we found faulty - "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up!" false alarm, remember? The store is asking $35 though and I didn't buy it. Seems too expensive... the window was $20 and much bigger.

Monday 11AM good?

P.S. Do you think $5 is a good price for an aircraft engine mount bolt? Just found one online, "open box".

Last edited:
Hey @Viktor Jaep, we can do WXMON flight testing again next week!

Just got back from the airport with Safety Certificate in my hands! The authorities did not like the duct tape holding that overhead control panel (the one with many lights and switches we were wondering about) and the missing floor panel (the hole we were looking through how landing gear retracts). The inspector said we can safely operate the aircraft, but we need to wear hard hats and safety shoes (got some from Dollar Tree on my way back today). I got lucky the inspector did not see the missing engine mount bolt (the one that fell off on the previous flight). By the way, the missing window arrived from a store called Facebook Marketplace. Very good store. They even have similar altimeter to the one we found faulty - "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up!" false alarm, remember? The store is asking $35 though and I didn't buy it. Seems too expensive... the window was $20 and much bigger.

Monday 11AM good?

P.S. Do you think $5 is a good price for an aircraft engine mount bolt? Just found one online, "open box".
I'm always ready and willing to put my life in your hands to test some scripts! I live for that kinda thing. :p

Got the bolt from Home Depot for $1.50 brand new and with lifetime warranty! If it snaps they say bring it back and get a new one. Sounds good to me. Got a can or red paint as well to paint the bolt before I install it. Red bolt is easier to find... smart, eh? I'll show you some more aviation tricks on Monday.

Got the bolt from Home Depot for $1.50 brand new and with lifetime warranty! If it snaps they say bring it back and get a new one. Sounds good to me. Got a can or red paint as well to paint the bolt before I install it. Red bolt is easier to find... smart, eh? I'll show you some more aviation tricks on Monday.
Make sure you don't skip out on those barrel roll lessons.

Last time the spin happened I've learned your real name by accident, @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow. It was the usual "sky, ground, sky, ground" situation and few times we clearly saw someone there over the rainbow... and @Viktor Jaep was yelling "Jesus Christ!" every time... is that you? I took a picture:

1677110566422.png

AX88 on 386.8 and AX86 on 386.7_2. I had this working fine the 0.1b version on the AX88. Updated to the .02b version and every time I launch it I get a blank screen. From the command line I launch setup mode, refresh all the dependencies, run through the setup, then launch it (m1) and end up at a blanck screen, control C to be dropped at the prompt. Then did the install on the AX86, fresh install, and got the same result. Everything I did, I did with the .01 version and it worked fine. What am I missing?

AX88 on 386.8 and AX86 on 386.7_2. I had this working fine the 0.1b version on the AX88. Updated to the .02b version and every time I launch it I get a blank screen. From the command line I launch setup mode, refresh all the dependencies, run through the setup, then launch it (m1) and end up at a blanck screen, control C to be dropped at the prompt. Then did the install on the AX86, fresh install, and got the same result. Everything I did, I did with the .01 version and it worked fine. What am I missing?
You can still download v0.1 off GitHub. Mind downloading that and seeing if that still works? I tried launching it out of setup/m1 and don't have a problem. I'm assuming you're picking US-based weather and imperial units, right? Mind posting the contents of your /jffs/add-ons/wxmon.d/wxmon.cfg?

If worst comes to worst, are you up to trying some debugging next?

Ok, @Tech9, rein it in. That last one is offensive to some members. Let's stay focused on the tech aspects here.

You can still download v0.1 off GitHub. Mind downloading that and seeing if that still works? I tried launching it out of setup/m1 and don't have a problem. I'm assuming you're picking US-based weather and imperial units, right? Mind posting the contents of your /jffs/add-ons/wxmon.d/wxmon.cfg?

If worst comes to worst, are you up to trying some debugging next?
Version 0.2b default
Master@AX86-Master:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.cfg
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

Version 0.2b configured
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=0
aviationwx="Enabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0

Version 0.1b default
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

Launching in normal or w/Screen same effect, just a blank screen.
I didn't reboot, I just uninstalled/reinstalled between each attempt.
01b was working fine before trying 02b, when I reverted back to 01b, the blank screen continued on the AX88 which is when I tried 02b on the AX86 mesh node. I forced the reinstall of the Entware dependicies just in case one of the other scripts overwrote anything but it made no difference and I hadn't made any script updates other than WXMON that I remember.

On the second AX86 mesh node, never installed WXMON. So as a control, I started with 01b, thinking maybe something in 02b might not have been removed completely or was in conflict. But again, blank screen which admittedly is odd, as I thought it would've started fine. I did not try to reinstall the Entware dependencies on it. I also tried sh /jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh -monitor same result.

Here's what I used to install 01b;
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.1b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Here's the cfg for that one
Master@AX86-Bedroom:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.cfg
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

As well as the log
Master@AX86-Bedroom:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.log
Thu Feb 23 10:46:54 EST 2023 - WXMON - Successfully wrote a new config file

Went back to the second AX86 mesh node - the one from above - rebooted, just in case. Same result, blank screen. Let it run for a few minutes, and nothing. Randomly typing in anything, single and multiple characters then Enter. They were echoed on the screen with no error messages, only way out is a control-c

Let me know what else you want me to try, or look at...

Version 0.2b default
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

Version 0.2b configured
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=0
aviationwx="Enabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0

Version 0.1b default
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

Launching in normal or w/Screen same effect, just a blank screen.
I didn't reboot, I just uninstalled/reinstalled between each attempt.
01b was working fine before trying 02b, when I reverted back to 01b, the blank screen continued on the AX88 which is when I tried 02b on the AX86 mesh node. I forced the reinstall of the Entware dependicies just in case one of the other scripts overwrote anything but it made no difference and I hadn't made any script updates other than WXMON that I remember.

On the second AX86 mesh node, never installed WXMON. So as a control, I started with 01b, thinking maybe something in 02b might not have been removed completely or was in conflict. But again, blank screen which admittedly is odd, as I thought it would've started fine. I did not try to reinstall the Entware dependencies on it. I also tried sh /jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh -monitor same result.

Here's what I used to install 01b;
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.1b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Here's the cfg for that one
Master@AX86-Bedroom:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.cfg
Interval=360
aviationwx="Disabled"
avwxapitoken="N/A"
icaoairportcode="KLAX"
ProgPref=0

As well as the log
Master@AX86-Bedroom:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.log
Thu Feb 23 10:46:54 EST 2023 - WXMON - Successfully wrote a new config file

Went back to the second AX86 mesh node - the one from above - rebooted, just in case. Same result, blank screen. Let it run for a few minutes, and nothing. Randomly typing in anything, single and multiple characters then Enter. They were echoed on the screen with no error messages, only way out is a control-c

On the AX88 I loaded v1.54 of RTRMON, in the thought it might help. It didn't, but did notice at somepoint through the config/running of it that the characters no longer echoed to the screen on two character menu options and had to use caps lock for certain items, "s" wouldn't work, but "S" would. Not sure if that helps, but just trying to be a little diligent...

Your configs seem normal. What it sounds like to me is that you're somehow blocking on not being able to resolve some items to make things work... can you make sure all these services are visible/resolvable/pingable from your router, and not being blocked by diversion/skynet or some other blocking methodology you have in place?

Code:
https://ipv4.icanhazip.com
http://ip-api.com
https://api.weather.gov

In the meantime, I'll publish another version that gives you some indication where things are at in the process, so you're not left with a mysterious blank screen. Thanks for the feedback and supporting materials! :)

On the AX88 I loaded v1.54 of RTRMON, in the thought it might help. It didn't, but did notice at somepoint through the config/running of it that the characters no longer echoed to the screen on two character menu options and had to use caps lock for certain items, "s" wouldn't work, but "S" would. Not sure if that helps, but just trying to be a little diligent...
Please give v0.3b a shot... I has some indicators as to what it's working on, hopefully giving some more insight on where it's getting stuck for you...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.3b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Please give v0.3b a shot... I has some indicators as to what it's working on, hopefully giving some more insight on where it's getting stuck for you...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/WXMON/master/wxmon-0.3b.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/wxmon.sh"

Back on the AX88 / 386.8

A little better, gets this far and stays there;
| | / / |/ // |/ / __ \/ | / / v0.3b
| | /| / /| // /|_/ / / / / |/ / (S)etup (F)orce Refresh
| |/ |/ // |/ / / / /_/ / /| / (A)viation WX
|__/|__//_/|_/_/ /_/\____/_/ |_/ (E)xit

[Getting Long/Lat]...
Typed in the avaialbe options S, F, A, E (caps and lower case) none of which worked but were echoed back.

Here's the config file:
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.cfg
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=0
aviationwx="Enabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0

Did a "Force Re-install Entware Dependencies" and ran it again, same results. Ran it both in Monitor and Monitor /Screen which the control A+D gets you back to the setup menu. But running it a second time with Screen showed the first screen, with my key strokes before timing out an exiting. Running a third time, with more patience, back to how it looked originally, then changed to download WX data, then error trying to download after a few minutes. In Monitor - hangs on getting WAN City, then Getting LONG/LAT, then Downloading WX Feeds before Error: Unable to download weather data. Try again later...

Changing back to Global and disabling Avaiation data, but leaving Imperial, same result. Going back to all defaults, same result.
It takes a while to go from getting WAN city to unable to download weather data, hard to be patient...

Here's the rest;
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# ls
WANwx.txt version.txt wxmon.cfg wxmon.log
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat WANwx.txt
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat version.txt
0.3b
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=1
aviationwx="Disabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.log
Thu Feb 23 13:56:59 EST 2023 - WXMON - Successfully wrote a new config file
Thu Feb 23 14:08:38 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.
Thu Feb 23 14:12:32 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.
Thu Feb 23 14:17:25 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.
Thu Feb 23 14:19:08 EST 2023 - WXMON - Successfully wrote a new config file
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d#

Nothing showed up in the System.log, but that's likely due to the detail I have it set at to minimize noise. What would you like it set to in NVRAM to capture any faults?

Back on the AX88 / 386.8

A little better, gets this far and stays there;
| | / / |/ // |/ / __ \/ | / / v0.3b
| | /| / /| // /|_/ / / / / |/ / (S)etup (F)orce Refresh
| |/ |/ // |/ / / / /_/ / /| / (A)viation WX
|__/|__//_/|_/_/ /_/\____/_/ |_/ (E)xit

[Getting Long/Lat]...
Typed in the avaialbe options S, F, A, E (caps and lower case) none of which worked but were echoed back.

Here's the config file:
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=0
aviationwx="Enabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0

Did a "Force Re-install Entware Dependencies" and ran it again, same results. Ran it both in Monitor and Monitor /Screen which the control A+D gets you back to the setup menu. But running it a second time with Screen showed the first screen, with my key strokes before timing out an exiting. Running a third time, with more patience, back to how it looked originally, then changed to download WX data, then error trying to download after a few minutes. In Monitor - hangs on getting WAN City, then Getting LONG/LAT, then Downloading WX Feeds before Error: Unable to download weather data. Try again later...

Changing back to Global and disabling Avaiation data, but leaving Imperial, same result. Going back to all defaults, same result.
It takes a while to go from getting WAN city to unable to download weather data, hard to be patient...

Here's the rest;
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# ls
WANwx.txt version.txt wxmon.cfg wxmon.log
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat WANwx.txt
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat version.txt
0.3b
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=1
aviationwx="Disabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0
Master@AX88-Office:/jffs/addons/wxmon.d# cat wxmon.log
Thu Feb 23 14:08:38 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.
Thu Feb 23 14:12:32 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.
Thu Feb 23 14:17:25 EST 2023 - WXMON ----------> ERROR: Unable to fetch weather data. May be a temporary issue. Try again later.

Nothing showed up in the System.log, but that's likely due to the detail I have it set at to minimize noise. What would you like it set to in NVRAM to capture any faults?
Well shoot, on a whim I disabled SKYNET and reconfigured WXMON with Imperial and Airport and my Airport - and it worked, mostly...

Got this when asking for Aviation:
[Downloading WX Feeds]...rm: can't remove '/jffs/addons/wxmon.d/wxmetar.txt': No such file or directory
rm: can't remove '/jffs/addons/wxmon.d/wxtaf.txt': No such file or directory

I know I added a custom list of what to ban that I got from another thread, I think it might be yours but double checking...

[Getting Long/Lat]...
If it's getting stuck here, then you are not able to access -- make sure this is whitelisted and excluded from any blockers.

That's absolutely strange to me... My upper and lower case choices work across the board. I remember there was some instance in the past where someone had an issue with menu option choices like this... I'll see if I can find what their resolution was.

Here's the config file:
Interval=360
UnitMeasure=0
WXService=0
aviationwx="Enabled"
icaoairportcode="KMIA"
ProgPref=0
Nothing wrong here! Looks fine.

It really sounds to me like you're having connectivity issues with these three sites... make sure you are whitelisting and excluding them from any blockers you might have in place.

Code:
https://ipv4.icanhazip.com
http://ip-api.com
https://api.weather.gov

Which means that you are also not able to resolve the global weather site:

Code:
https://api.open-meteo.com

This error you're getting here means it tried downloading the weather, and the results was that 0 amount of information was received to parse weather information from. Wish I could be of more help, but there's some serious resolution or blocking issues going on here... not to mention it not accepting key input.

Could you make sure that your DNS settings are working correctly, that you can resolve sites from your router in an SSH prompt?

Code:
ViktorJp@GT-AX6000-3C88:/jffs/scripts# nslookup api.open-meteo.com
Server:    9.9.9.9
Address 1: 9.9.9.9 dns9.quad9.net

Name:      api.open-meteo.com
Address 1: 202.61.229.161 api.open-meteo.com
Address 2: 2a03:4000:57:ff3:e4ec:5cff:fe63:1b77 api.open-meteo.com
ViktorJp@GT-AX6000-3C88:/jffs/scripts# ping api.open-meteo.com
PING api.open-meteo.com (202.61.229.161): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 202.61.229.161: seq=0 ttl=46 time=130.916 ms
64 bytes from 202.61.229.161: seq=1 ttl=46 time=133.324 ms
64 bytes from 202.61.229.161: seq=2 ttl=46 time=127.725 ms
64 bytes from 202.61.229.161: seq=3 ttl=46 time=133.147 ms
^C
--- api.open-meteo.com ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 127.725/131.025/133.324 ms

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!