What's new

Reliably NAS to automically backup family photos and videos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avi

New Around Here
I'm looking for buying a NAS to automically backup family photos and videos (the really important stuff) from mobile devices android and ios.
Emphasis on:
1. Survivability:

1.1 Raid 1 that will enable me to take a drive and connect it to any pc.
1.2 Back up the NAS on public clouds like DropBox, Google drive, Drive one etc ...
1.3 back up the NAS to a second NAS, i planned to perches 2 NASs, one for me and one for my sister,
and cross backup them A->B B->A.
1.4 file revision to save accidental deletion of a file - configurable
1.5 Security - hacker resistant as posable - I don't like to week up to find out a ransomware message!

2. Reliably
- low downtime of the NAS,

3. Simple and Reliably clients for mobile :

3.1 Simple app to install & forget for android/ios phones
3.2 automatically backup photos and videos from the camera
3.3 free space when full.
3.4 automatically backup data from WhatsApp, Facebook, Phonebook, Sms and etc ... - A big advantage

4. support up to real 60 users
, the whole extended family: each user will have a space of its own.

I like to keep the cost down around 200$-300$ for the diskless NAS, I may go higher of the payout will worth it.

6. I prefer to have 4 bays it will save me money for the long run but 2 bays will do. I plan to set 1 NAS with raid 1 with 2 HHD and the second with only 1 drive (2 copies on one site from the raid, and a third copy on the second NAS and maybe a public cloud a fourth backup- it's too match ?? ).

I was thinking on :
a. Synology DS918+/DS718+ : but its more than I like to spend and I'm sure that I really need such a NAS.
b. QNAP TS-431P : the price is right, Not sour about the rest.

What do you think? Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks, Avi.

Last edited by a moderator:
NAS drive file format (usually ext3 or ext4) will not allow you to take a drive and connect it to any PC unless you have drivers installed to support that filesystem.

Most NASes have backup and player apps for photos and videos. But I'm not sure how automatic they are.

You don't really need high performance. Even the most inexpensive two-bay NASes will be limited by a gigabit Ethernet connection bandwidth for large sequential file transfers.

When I recently retired a WD MyCloud and replaced it for backup purposes, I ended up going with a Synology DS216j for its backup flexibility. However, my selection criteria didn't include all yours.

Note if the two NASes are not located on the same network, NAS-to-NAS backup over internet will be pretty slow. Same for backup to cloud.