What's new

"Reminder: The System time zone is different from your locale setting."

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dick_W

Occasional Visitor
Env: RT-AC68U / ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.384_21045

What does this message even mean? Where are there two different time zone settings? I only see a system one. Where is there a "locale setting" time zone?

My system time zone is correctly set to (GMT-10:00) Hawaii. There are no DST settings to set. Which is correct, because there is no DST here. The system time shown on the logs page is correct.

Is this just some kind of bug/bad message?

Thanks for any thoughts.

This has been reported many many times. Just ignore it.

EDIT:

The error is generated if there is a mismatch between the timezone offset in use by the router (as reported by uptime()in state.js) and the timezone offset reported by your web browser. The code is in "function corrected_timezone()"

Go to http://browserspy.dk/date.php and look at the "Time and date" line. The router is comparing the 5 characters at the end of that line that begin with a "+" or "-".

Wed Jun 13 2018 15:48:55 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Last edited:
Thanks for that specific explanation of what's going on here. That's what I couldn't find in my searches about this issue.

Yes, browser is reportedly asserting "GMT-1000 (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time)" and router only knows "(GMT-10:00) Hawaii". So if they are trying to compare, textually, -1000 to -10:00, that would be a problem.

Edit to add: it may also be some kind of ASUS-Chrome compatability issue as viewing this router page in Edge does not show this diagnostic message.

I think you're probably right about it being a browser thing. I haven't been able to find the source code that generates the router's uptime string, but looking at it in the Chrome developer console I can see this is the string it's returning for me:

uptimeStr = "Wed, 13 Jun 2018 19:27:32 +0100(19754 secs since boot)";

So it's working for me at the moment. "+0100" = "+0100"

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!