What's new

Remote access to Asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mitsubishi_908

New Around Here
I'm trying to connect to my router at my cottage (Asus RT-AX1800S) which was setup to be accessible remotely. However, now that I am back home I cannot seem to access the web GUI. I am however able to connect to it via the asus router app on my phone but the status shows as "Security link". The issue is that I want to be able to establish a connection via a web browser to the remote router GUI. If i go in the "Asus Router" app on my phone into Settings > System Settings > Access Configuration I can see under "Remote Access Config" that "Web Access from WAN" is enabled and it shows me the web address (https://123.12.123.456: port number) that I should be able to copy paste in a browser and connect to it but it does not work.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks

Well, web access from WAN is a big security risk! Better off using OpenVPN. Set that up on the phone, log in with your PC or phone with OpenVPN and disable WAN access. You can also use Instantguard.

Well, web access from WAN is a big security risk! Better off using OpenVPN. Set that up on the phone, log in with your PC or phone with OpenVPN and disable WAN access. You can also use Instantguard.
That's exactly what i'm trying to set up OpenVPN but i can't do it through the asus app therefore i need access the remote router GUI in order to do it. You mentioned instantguard? do i need access to the remote router to set that up?

That's exactly what i'm trying to set up OpenVPN but i can't do it through the asus app therefore i need access the remote router GUI in order to do it. You mentioned instantguard? do i need access to the remote router to set that up?
Yes, you need to enable Instant Guard on your router in the VPN Section, Tab 'Instant Guard', as follows:

1671106590882.png

Then, you have to know the public IP of the router, or better, have DDNS configured.

After that, you only have to install Instant Guard on your phone and point it to that public IP or DDNS name.

Yes, you need to enable Instant Guard on your router in the VPN Section, Tab 'Instant Guard', as follows:

View attachment 46344

Then, you have to know the public IP of the router, or better, have DDNS configured.

After that, you only have to install Instant Guard on your phone and point it to that public IP or DDNS name.
Thank you! now i just have to figure out how to access the router remotely so i can turn that on.

now i just have to figure out how to access the router remotely
As I understand your dilemma, you are able to remotely connect to your router with the Asus mobile app but not though a browser?

I use the mobile app all the time when I am connected to my LAN. And, on occasions, I do activate remote access for my phone app and desktop access with DDNS.

When you speak of "browser", are you referring to your phone's browser or a desktop computer browser?

If you are referring to your phone's browser, your wireless carrier may be blocking access via a public IP address. In this case, you may need to use the router's DDNS.

If you are referring to a desktop computer, then it is possible your ISP for the desktop is blocking access via a public IP address. A DDNS may also help in this case. Try an internet connection with a tether to your phone.

I personally have noticed that DDNS works most of the time for remote access. But on some occasions, I must refresh my browser several times for the DNS services I happen to connect with at the time to resolve my DDNS name and make the connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!