What's new

Remote assistance for SOHO network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3DHack

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

Over the last year I've been an avid follower of the Smallnetbuilder website and forums and it has empowered most, if not all, of my decisions in the building of a network for my small start-up graphics company.

Thanks to all the wonderful advice here it's all worked out pretty well so far, however, as we plan our next growth phase, I hope to find someone more experienced whom I might pay to make sure it's done right.

The help I hope to get from such an arrangement would be
  • A review of and recommendations for our purchase list
  • Config for a new Router (yet to be purchased), including how to manage two ADSL2+ accounts for increased upload throughput.
  • Config for our Gigabit Switch (Netgear GS108 Smart Switch), including creation of VLANs for efficiency and security etc.
  • Advice on security
  • Config of our freeNAS servers
  • Config of ssh and rsync tasks between Windows and *nix hosts
  • Config of folder synchronisation between our office and Amazon S3 storage

All this would need to be administered remotely, once I've purchased and set up the hardware. I will also need some training in the simpler tasks for ongoing management of the new gear.. adding new ports to be forwarded etc.

I think that about covers the broad strokes. I hope I'm asking in the right place.

Maybe I'm not alone in needing some hand holding and a new forum could be created for consultancy?

Cheers and happy networking
Nigel Haslam