What's new

Remote Desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YPNvexed

Occasional Visitor
Hello

I have what I hope is a simple problem. When I have client 1 connected to my VPN provider, I am NOT able to connect to my pc's from outside of the network using Windows Remote Desktop Connection. I have Redirect Internet Traffic set to Policy Rules, and the AC3100 outside of the VPN connection (iface set to WAN). I can connect to the router from the remote location across the web using my ISP provided IP. The subnets (my network and my remote locations network) are also very different.

I can connect to the pc's from outside of the network as soon as the service state for client 1 is set to off, so I know all my port forwarding in the router is set correctly. It is the VPN client connection to my VPN provider that is blocking the connection somehow. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

thank you!

Trev

Hello

I have what I hope is a simple problem. When I have client 1 connected to my VPN provider, I am NOT able to connect to my pc's from outside of the network using Windows Remote Desktop Connection. I have Redirect Internet Traffic set to Policy Rules, and the AC3100 outside of the VPN connection (iface set to WAN). I can connect to the router from the remote location across the web using my ISP provided IP. The subnets (my network and my remote locations network) are also very different.

I can connect to the pc's from outside of the network as soon as the service state for client 1 is set to off, so I know all my port forwarding in the router is set correctly. It is the VPN client connection to my VPN provider that is blocking the connection somehow. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

thank you!

Trev
This is normal.
When the pc is connected to the VPN its connected to another computer and its using that computers IP
Your Ip in the outside is not your ISP IP therefore remote desktop cant work.
You can try Team viewer or if you really need remote desktop then connect to a computer on your network that is not on a VPN and then from that computer which is on your network connect to the VPN pc
its the only workaround

This is normal.
When the pc is connected to the VPN its connected to another computer and its using that computers IP
Your Ip in the outside is not your ISP IP therefore remote desktop cant work.
You can try Team viewer or if you really need remote desktop then connect to a computer on your network that is not on a VPN and then from that computer which is on your network connect to the VPN pc
its the only workaround

Thanks for the reply Yorgi. That does sort of make sense, but with the router outside of the VPN I thought this would work. I can connect to the router and drop the VPN connection using either the ISP IP or the ASUS DDNS name. Because I can do that, I would have thought the remote desktop port forwarding on the router would work when connecting to the ISP IP (basically, I thought with placing the router outside of the VPN using the Policy Rules and being able to connect to it, the router would act like a computer on the network that is not connected to the VPN and therefore be able to pass the rdp traffic to the local pc based on port forwarding. I admit, I do not understand enough about networking to know why this doesn't work, but I see I was wrong). Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated!!