What's new

Remote Firmware Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amrhf

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

normally I would upgrade via web interface on a PC connected on LAN.

But due to current situation I can not get access to the router.

I have remote access to my RT-AC87U via build in OpenVPN and ssh and wonder if I could remotely upgrade the firmware from current 384.11_2 to latest 384.13_4

I have tried via web interface connected from WAN, but it did not work.

I have access to RaspberryPi on LAN site as well.

Quite a few people in the same situation, and a topic that has been covered a number of times.

Although *possible* it is never recommended. A physical power cycle is always recommended after the update, and it is also a good idea to do that before the update too. Unless there is a particular vulnerability you are trying to fix, you should wait until you or someone else is available to cycle the router. If it is in any way a critical or important network, be prepared for it to be unavailable until cycled. There is a chance of course that all will go well, but you never know.

With VPN access and access to other devices on this network, there is essentially no difference with you being "remote" vs "local" with the exception of being able to pull the plug to reboot.

@amrhf, do you have a USB drive attached? If so, 'Safely remove it' via the GUI and then flash it. The router just needs more ram to do it's work. Note you don't need to physically remove the USB device(s), just need them unmounted. ;)

Only do so if this network isn't critical in anyway for your use (of course). :)

@amrhf, do you have a USB drive attached? If so, 'Safely remove it' via the GUI and then flash it. The router just needs more ram to do it's work. Note you don't need to physically remove the USB device(s), just need them unmounted. ;)

Only do so if this network isn't critical in anyway for your use (of course). :)

Yes, there is HDD attached, I will un-mount it (Safely remove it) ;)

but as per post from @dosborne I will wait until I have someone to power-cycle the router. Before and after the upgrade :)

Quite a few people in the same situation, and a topic that has been covered a number of times.

Although *possible* it is never recommended. A physical power cycle is always recommended after the update, and it is also a good idea to do that before the update too. Unless there is a particular vulnerability you are trying to fix, you should wait until you or someone else is available to cycle the router. If it is in any way a critical or important network, be prepared for it to be unavailable until cycled. There is a chance of course that all will go well, but you never know.

With VPN access and access to other devices on this network, there is essentially no difference with you being "remote" vs "local" with the exception of being able to pull the plug to reboot.

How about CLI method, is that available via the SSH instead of WebBrowser?

The 'pre' power-cycle isn't necessarily needed in my experience. What it accomplishes is flushing the use ram too. :)

The 'post' power-cycle is available at anytime via the GUI. (I do so at 15 minutes and after 60 additional minutes too after a firmware update).

How about CLI method, is that available via the SSH instead of WebBrowser?
I manage a couple of remote AC68U's and do quite well upgrading them. With that said I do remote control of a PC on an ethernet connection through the router VPN to run the upgrade. Yes, I loose connection when the router reboots but can connect when the system is stable. The routers run Stubby DoT, openVPN, QOS and AiProtection. No USB devices. You could set up a PC inside the network with Teamviewer and do the same thing. I never have experienced upgrade failure and have not needed to stand on my head with removing USB devices (my AC86U has a USB for swap and network stats) or nuking the router before or after.
Live dangerously with the router but remember to wash your hands!