What's new

Remotely Accessing My Asus Router UI Through VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

statman

New Around Here
So I setup a VPN server on my RT-AC68U using the Merlin firmware. I followed the basic instructions, did not change any advanced setting, checked that I can connect to the VPN using Tunnelblick as suggested. This worked well, so I left my home confident that I would now be able to access devices on the LAN and also change settings on my router later if needed. On top of that, I disabled remote access to the router, thinking that it would be more secure and that I could access the UI anyway through the VPN.

Now I am away, I can connect to the VPN without problem, I can ping my router using the default local IP I have at home (192.168.1.1) or the gateway as it is specified in the Tunnelblick log (10.8.0.1). However, I am unable to ping any other device on the LAN, and I cannot access the router UI using any of the two IP addresses. Is it normal or am I missing something obvious?