What's new

FlexQoS Rename category?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_me_myself_and_i_

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I just installed FlexQoS on my RT-AC68U running firmware version 384.19. I've read the documentation, but don't understand a few things...

I don't play games. When downloading large files (e.g. when my Mac downloads items from the App Store) FlexQoS is categorizing as "Game Transferring." Can I rename this category? I'm tempted to rename the iptables rule called "Game Downloads," but I don't know what that might break. Should I just delete that iptables rule and create an identical one with a more suitable name? If so, how would I rename the "Game Downloads" class?

I guess I really don't understand why there is a Game Downloads class when File Downloads is given by Asus out-of-the-box.

I also don't know how I should order QoS categories. After playing around, I had to move "Gaming" up in the list because of the aforementioned - my downloads seem to be falling into that category.

I have 5 in my household, and we're all working/learning remotely. I need Zoom, Google Meet, WebEx, FaceTime, and Skype to get the highest priority. The kids also stream lessons from YouTube and Kaltura. Web Surfing and file upload/download would be next. My kids aren't gamers, but they do play some games on their phones and look at Tik Tok. I'm totally fine to make those things lowest priority; I don't care if they stutter or don't work smoothly. :)

Lastly, what happens when I am connected to my workplace via VPN. Do QoS rules even work for a VPN connection?

Sorry for the Newb questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 327.png
    Screenshot 327.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 166
Welcome to the forums @_me_myself_and_i_.

Look for the original thread of FlexQoS and particularly the first few posts and the last few posts there.

I wouldn't be too concerned with what things are called or labeled. I don't think the order you have is a 'recommended' one? Read how this script works and you'll realize that downloads will use any excess bandwidth you have. But I would put the important things first (for me; web-browsing). The categories don't 'reserve' any bandwidth. If they aren't being used, then the next category down will use as much as it can/need.

What are your ISP u/d speeds?

Does FlexQoS give you a superior networking experience vs. no QoS (or another type of QoS)? That is all that matters. :)

Look for the original thread of FlexQoS and particularly the first few posts and the last few posts there.
I did, and also the README.md on GitHub. I'll give it all another read.

What are your ISP u/d speeds?
100 down, 35 up.

Does FlexQoS give you a superior networking experience vs. no QoS (or another type of QoS)? That is all that matters
I don't know how I'd quantify that. No one is complaining, but they weren't complaining before when I just had the out-of-the-box Adaptive QoS enabled.

I don't play games. When downloading large files (e.g. when my Mac downloads items from the App Store) FlexQoS is categorizing as "Game Transferring." Can I rename this category? I'm tempted to rename the iptables rule called "Game Downloads," but I don't know what that might break. Should I just delete that iptables rule and create an identical one with a more suitable name? If so, how would I rename the "Game Downloads" class?

I guess I really don't understand why there is a Game Downloads class when File Downloads is given by Asus out-of-the-box.

I also don't know how I should order QoS categories. After playing around, I had to move "Gaming" up in the list because of the aforementioned - my downloads seem to be falling into that category.
The Game Downloads class is a holdover from the original FreshJR_QOS script which repurposed the old Default class that was fixed in the bottom position of the priority list by ASUS. The idea was to use that idle priority level to separate Game downloads from normal gaming traffic. Now that Learn-From-Home exists, it has taken the slot that was previously used for Default in older firmware. So if you want to reprioritize Game Transferring/Downloads, move the Learn-From-Home class in the QoS Customize list (FlexQoS Game Transferring/Downloads = ASUS Learn-From-Home).

Learn-From-Home isn't especially useful in its current incarnation because it overlaps with the Streaming and Web Surfing categories. If it were more useful today, I would revert the Game Transferring/Downloads to Learn-From-Home, since I don't game either. Since you have Learn-From-Home at the top of your priority list, it will "intercept" any Streaming or certain Web Surfing categories before they reach the lower priority classes known as Streaming or Web Surfing.
I have 5 in my household, and we're all working/learning remotely. I need Zoom, Google Meet, WebEx, FaceTime, and Skype to get the highest priority. The kids also stream lessons from YouTube and Kaltura. Web Surfing and file upload/download would be next. My kids aren't gamers, but they do play some games on their phones and look at Tik Tok. I'm totally fine to make those things lowest priority; I don't care if they stutter or don't work smoothly. :)

Lastly, what happens when I am connected to my workplace via VPN. Do QoS rules even work for a VPN connection?
Put Work-From-Home at the top of the list to capture most of the web conferencing apps. Keep an eye out for any Untracked udp connections and see if they might be related to conferencing.

Your VPN question depends. QoS will only see the VPN tunnel (e.g. port 4500/udp) and not any traffic within the tunnel. You'll have to see how your VPN connection shows up in the Tracked Connections table and see how it's classified now.

Put Work-From-Home at the top of the list to capture most of the web conferencing apps. Keep an eye out for any Untracked udp connections and see if they might be related to conferencing.

Your VPN question depends. QoS will only see the VPN tunnel (e.g. port 4500/udp) and not any traffic within the tunnel. You'll have to see how your VPN connection shows up in the Tracked Connections table and see how it's classified now.
This is very helpful. Thank you!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online